lowest bridge/tunnel on the system

berth

Featured Posts

Are there any candidates for the highest overbridge?

There's plenty of examples on rivers where the bridge height (available air draft) is in the hundreds of feet area. For 'normal' canals, the overbridges in the cuttings of the SU are impressively high. For aqueducts.....well there's the Welsh one which is quite famous....

Not normally navigable for canal boats at high tide so I'm not sure it counts.

Fair point. So I won't suggest Salters Lode, where the headroom under the concrete beams was about two feet at high tide when I was last there. Mind you the lock would not have been useable at that time, as the water level was above the top of the inner gates....

• 4 years later...

Droitwich M5 tunnel is quoted as 6'3" with stream level on Amber warning. Solar boxes fixed on roof at 6'3" always been through on green...

Just been to site quoting froghall subsided at 5' now, elsewhere one or two places at 6' otherwise 6'3", 6'6" or 7' and over.

https://www.canals.com/canaldata.htm

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/meetings/wusig/WUSIG-waterway-dimensions-17-11-10.pdf

Edited by The Solar Kingfisher
Add links

2 hours ago, The Solar Kingfisher said:

Droitwich M5 tunnel is quoted as 6'3" with stream level on Amber warning. Solar boxes fixed on roof at 6'3" always been through on green...

Just been to site quoting froghall subsided at 5' now, elsewhere one or two places at 6' otherwise 6'3", 6'6" or 7' and over.

https://www.canals.com/canaldata.htm

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/meetings/wusig/WUSIG-waterway-dimensions-17-11-10.pdf

The trouble is that much of the data, dimensions printed on such websites is wildly inaccurate. Just as a single " For instance "  the second of your references there quotes " Narrowboats up to 61 ft 8 inches can pass through Thorne lock diagonaly " This is very very wide of the mark. Facts are that a 70 footer can pass through, its very tight but its doable. That is a huge discrepency. There will be many more on there if people look. Thing is with that particular mistake it makes a massive difference to long narrowboats when considering having to, or not to do Trent end!!

12 hours ago, The Solar Kingfisher said:

Just been to site quoting froghall subsided at 5' now,

It may be a tad larger after we passed through a couple of weeks ago and shaved a few millimetres off ?

On 22/05/2014 at 19:03, Paul C said:

Froghall tunnel is probably the lowest,

We fitted through that one after we took the solar panel off because it snagged on the way in first time...

On 22/05/2014 at 19:12, b0atman said:

Stanedge tunnel

Nah.  We didn't need to take the solar panel off to do Standedge.  Took paint off on the way through though!

On 22/05/2014 at 19:05, cotswoldsman said:

I think Dudley is the lowest tunnel

Me too!  I'm going up there to be gauged this week just for idle interest, and in no way to see if we can possibly  leg the tunnel next weekend for the BCNS challenge ...

On 23/05/2014 at 07:58, dave moore said:

The bridge at the end of the Bumblehole Arm at Windmill End is, I think, the lowest on the BCN.

Ooh thanks for that.  I'll try it this week as an entry for my "Stupid places to take your boat" thread. :D

Edited by TheBiscuits

This is going into Boston down the maud foster, we went down another drain and was scraping the top of the solar brackets ended up getting stuck and had to stay the night and was praying it did not rain or we would not have got under it , picture is of us going down the maud foster DSCF7040.JPG.eec50a0e359d0ca04f350343688ed4f4.JPGDSCF7045.JPG.100dd626ed8e822aa3333a2f832229d6.JPG

Edited by luggsy

On 22/05/2014 at 20:58, Neil2 said:

Froghall tunnel is pretty low...

P1000948.jpg

My boat won't go through Froghall, but I've gone through Harecastle Tunnel and also Nell's Bridge lock many times with no bother.

My boat gets scraped every time in Ashted Tunnel, going down the locks, unless I lower the pound before entering the lock.

The absolute max air draft is not usually the issue, it's the shape of the structure v the shape of the boat that can be the problem.

image.jpeg.e36f9930dc54e2c37a87bb8fbe77b40e.jpeg

Basingstoke Canal: Reading Road Bridge (probably), Fleet.

If I remember correctly this one slopes down from left to right and from front to back, travelling downstream.  5ft 10in headroom.

Edited by NBDensie
Additional info

15 minutes ago, NBDensie said:

image.jpeg.e36f9930dc54e2c37a87bb8fbe77b40e.jpeg

Basingstoke Canal: Reading Road Bridge (probably), Fleet.

If I remember correctly this one slopes down from left to right and from front to back, travelling downstream.

That  is iirc  5 foot 9".

We just got under but the pound  was a max height due to torential rain.

3 days later the pound was down by 3" and we sailed back through no issue.

Edited by mark99

On 17/05/2019 at 23:59, TheBiscuits said:

We fitted through that one after we took the solar panel off because it snagged on the way in first time...

Nah.  We didn't need to take the solar panel off to do Standedge.  Took paint off on the way through though!

Me too!  I'm going up there to be gauged this week just for idle interest, and in no way to see if we can possibly  leg the tunnel next weekend for the BCNS challenge ...

I'd agree that the lowest is probably Dudley Tunnel, we went to the BCLM to try the gauge last year and although we would just about have made it with the overall height, the tumblehome is what failed.

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'd agree that the lowest is probably Dudley Tunnel, we went to the BCLM to try the gauge last year and although we would just about have made it with the overall height, the tumblehome is what failed.

I think I'm going to have to fill my water tank ... possibly with heavy water!

Silver Propeller Challenge location : Dudley Tunnel (South End)

We couldn't resist the photo on the way past this evening.

IMG_20190519_212724.jpg.8955f9aab5734ddbb39c44a8cdf328f9.jpg

53 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I am sure I have seen this photo before

54 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So do we take it the to unofficial closure of Parkhead locks is no longer in force?

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So do we take it the to unofficial closure of Parkhead locks is no longer in force?

Dunno.

There is a sign saying no transit through the tunnel without gauging and booking, but nothing saying don't come up the locks.  They all work, and are not locked, and we didn't see any signs saying no entry.

The rotting weed stinks to high heaven though, which is enough to put most boats off doing it!

We are on our way to the northern portal for gauging anyway, just for interest and in no way connected to our intention to leg Dudley Tunnel next Saturday as part of the BCNS challenge.

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am sure I have seen this photo before

Probably.  I posted it on the two most appropriate threads my "Stupid places" thread and in direct response to WV's comment regarding Dudley Tunnel.

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Dunno.

There is a sign saying no transit through the tunnel without gauging and booking, but nothing saying don't come up the locks.  They all work, and are not locked, and we didn't see any signs saying no entry.

The rotting weed stinks to high heaven though, which is enough to put most boats off doing it!

We are on our way to the northern portal for gauging anyway, just for interest and in no way connected to our intention to leg Dudley Tunnel next Saturday as part of the BCNS challenge.

Probably.  I posted it on the two most appropriate threads my "Stupid places" thread and in direct response to WV's comment regarding Dudley Tunnel.

The notice lifting the Birmingham-Wolverhampton restrictions did not - I think - specify but when we came past a few weeks back it was an all day restriction rather than overnight. 

On 22/05/2014 at 20:28, Loddon said:

Fleet Road on the Basingstoke is about the lowest I have been under, getting on for a foot lower than Keksey's on the Stort.

5ft 9" 1.75m springs to mind rather than the 2m+ of Kekseys

I agree about the Basingstoke, but also the railway bridge at Roydon on the Stort.

At Roydon there was a widebeam, beautifully painted in cream. The water level was high, and he couldn't get under the bridge, so started hacking of the roof rails. I made a comment, and he said he'd just sold it, was delivering it, and if he gave it another lick of paint, the new owner would never notice!!!!!

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This was the Bumblehole arm bridge which removed my (hinged ) radio aeriel.

This was it last week when I tried it ...

20190523_155630.jpg.dd455d2d24de9b291307a4dc8e0c8cf7.jpg

... and that was where I grounded out, so the Bumblehole was right out for the challenge itself!

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

This was it last week when I tried it ...

... and that was where I grounded out, so the Bumblehole was right out for the challenge itself!

Dont blame you, it cost us over 2 hours, we had to pole the boat round at the end.

just for this....

636.jpg