lowest bridge/tunnel on the system

berth

Featured Posts

Hello,

Whilst planning the next roof box I am wondering, how high I can build up stuff on the roof without the risk of shaving it off occasion. I heart, Harecastle Tunnel and a bridge at Stoke on Trent are quite low. Does anybody has some figures for me?

regards

Berth

The lowest bridge is the one that has you slamming into reverse, whilst clambering around on the roof trying to re-organise everything before it all gets swept overboard.

just saying:)

the water levels go up and down...so when it goes up, the bridge isn't as high anymore...lol

Froghall tunnel is probably the lowest, but you can decline to visit the basin beyond it (its a dead end) and still do most of the system. However, there's a few bridges at the start of the Caldon Canal which are very low.

Another place which springs to mind is the M5 tunnel on the Droitwich canal - again not a show stopper since you can reroute round it via the Severn and the bottom section of the Worcester & Birmingham canal.

One which is a long detour round would be the bridge near the Red Bull services on the T&M, its not so much that its low but the locks are only a short distance apart and the level can be quite variable.

Hello,

Whilst planning the next roof box I am wondering, how high I can build up stuff on the roof without the risk of shaving it off occasion. I heart, Harecastle Tunnel and a bridge at Stoke on Trent are quite low. Does anybody has some figures for me?

regards

Berth

Ok, addressing the real issue, it would be best to make your roof box removable. Bridges and tunnels vary widely and they are arch-shaped often, not flat like a roof box so the height of a tunnel might exceed your roof box but you staill can't fit through. Or you can, but only at the cost of mashing up the outer corners of your box.

This way, if/when you meet one of those rare low bridges or tunnels you can't fit through, you at least have the option of emptying out the roof box into the well deck then storing the roof box itself in the same place, or inside. Helluva pain but less than being forced to turn back.

MtB

• froghall tunnel
  • northern outfall sewer on river lee (but only at high spring tide)
  • burnt mill bridge river stort
  • nell bridge oxford canal
these would be on my list as the lowest I've encountered

Surely Keksey's rail bridge is significantly lower than Burnt Mill?

(Although I realise levels can vary!)

just measured: 5'9" (1750mm) is the max. height of the existing roof box - half empty water and fuel tank. Thats about what the Nicholson guide No. 4 says about the headroom of the harecastle. Froghall, Gosty, Dudley, WNDs would not be on my route, Nell Bridge would.

The removable box is an idea I am thinking off. Or an inflatable roof box ;-P

Burnt Mill lock bridge was raised up years ago. I'd say either Keckseys rail bridge or Spelbrook lock road bridge are the lowest now followed by Roydon rail bridge.

Edited by bizzard

Fleet Road on the Basingstoke is about the lowest I have been under, getting on for a foot lower than Keksey's on the Stort.

5ft 9" 1.75m springs to mind rather than the 2m+ of Kekseys

Ok, addressing the real issue, it would be best to make your roof box removable.

MtB

or better still keep all your crap in the boat or get rid! you wouldn't pile all you stuff on your roof at home would you!!

Bow back rivers

that's the Northern outfall sewer as I previously mentioned crosses the lee and the back rivers

yes Alan I hadn't thought of that one but yes it is lower

Middle Level

A bridge near Nordelph is the lowest one we've been under. About 1 inch of room. There are lower ones on the middle level though, but nt on the main route from salters to Peterborough. There was one up the Erewash, bridge 25 I think, which was nearly as low. Hare castle much more room.

Nicholsons lies! My air draft without anything on the roof is 6'2". Harecastle is not 5'9". If it was, half the boats on the network would struggle to get through. I went through with my roof boxes on.