The Pride? Of Sherwood - A Rant!

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Could have been a 'young offender' doing his 'time'

Its all speculation.

I think that if you are restricted to being in a certain pace at a certain time then you should consider if boating is 'for you'

If you are in a job where it is imperative that you 'clock-on' within a certain time and the company would stop without you , you would never leave home - the car could break down, the plane could be delayed, storms, floods etc. Nobody is so important that the world stops without them. Company 'bosses' understand that 'stuff' happens - phone up and tell them you'll be a day late.

If you are the boss then give yourself permission to take an extra days holiday.

What would happen if you engine / gearbox conked out on the Trent - thatss going to upset you timings for more than an hour or two.

If you are going to miss a tide there is one 12 / 24 hours later.

We were coming back from a trip around the West coast of Scotland and got 'locked into' the Isle of Man by severe weather, I had fortunately allowed some extra time but even so was a day late getting back to work - life goes on.

Could have been a 'young offender' doing his 'time'

Its all speculation.

I think that if you are restricted to being in a certain pace at a certain time then you should consider if boating is 'for you'

If you are in a job where it is imperative that you 'clock-on' within a certain time and the company would stop without you , you would never leave home - the car could break down, the plane could be delayed, storms, floods etc. Nobody is so important that the world stops without them. Company 'bosses' understand that 'stuff' happens - phone up and tell them you'll be a day late.

If you are the boss then give yourself permission to take an extra days holiday.

What would happen if you engine / gearbox conked out on the Trent - thatss going to upset you timings for more than an hour or two.

If you are going to miss a tide there is one 12 / 24 hours later.

We were coming back from a trip around the West coast of Scotland and got 'locked into' the Isle of Man by severe weather, I had fortunately allowed some extra time but even so was a day late getting back to work - life goes on.

I suppose it's always going to be frustrating when our plans clash with someone else's. Of course we all need to plan things at times but what makes our plans more important than someone else's? (how would CRT senior management answer that one I wonder..)

There we were having a delightful little trip down The Erewash. We completed the entire trip to the summit yesterday and enjoyed it but got a little frustrated by the number of paddles/anti vandal locks that were out of action. We decided to keep a log of which paddle gear had issues on the return journey so we could drop an email to CRT reporting our findings.

I find this interesting. We did the Erewash last September and I did exactly what you say above. I kept a record of the state of the locks and anti vandal devices and reported them to CRT. I received a nice email thanking me for telling them as they wouldn't necessarily have found out quickly.

By the sound of it nothing was done.

bizzard, on 22 May 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

I think he was just a disgruntled young lad possibly doing a job he doesn't really want to do, possibly forced into it by his parents, maybe theirs a shortage of jobs for youngsters up there and he was lolling and wasting at home boozing and getting up to mischief and maybe his mum and dad shouted at him, we don't know, GET OUT, GET OUT AND GET A JOB, OR GET OUT, WHEN I WAS AGE!!mad.gif ect ect ect ect, and he got all frightened frustrated like and got out and found a job, offered his services to Cart.

However you would think in the current climate if that was true they could have found somebody with a little more enthusiasm for doing a good job.

There must be loads of people who would give their eye teeth to have a job working on the waterways.

However you would think in the current climate if that was true they could have found somebody with a little more enthusiasm for doing a good job.

Yes, and he would be less likely to let the firm down in front of the public because he probably would not speak much English.

• Greenie 1

There must be loads of people who would give their eye teeth to have a job working on the waterways.

Mmm I don't think the money's up to much though. Perhaps he's a good interviewee.

bizzard, on 22 May 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Mmm I don't think the money's up to much though. Perhaps he's a good interviewee.

There are lots of jobs where 'the money isn't up to much' though.

'But yes he probably duped them on the interpersonal skills side of things.'

It never ceases to amaze me how many people you come across who work in roles that are wholly or partly 'customer facing'. (to use the jargon) who appear to have the interpersonal skills of a plank.

There are lots of jobs where 'the money isn't up to much' though.

'But yes he probably duped them on the interpersonal skills side of things.'

It never ceases to amaze me how many people you come across who work in roles that are wholly or partly 'customer facing'. (to use the jargon) who appear to have the interpersonal skills of a plank.

Planks can be very supportive. Mine does a good job without complaint.

I find this interesting. We did the Erewash last September and I did exactly what you say above. I kept a record of the state of the locks and anti vandal devices and reported them to CRT. I received a nice email thanking me for telling them as they wouldn't necessarily have found out quickly.

By the sound of it nothing was done.

That is because of the time scales involved. The planning for this winters stoppage work would be planned this spring. anything reported last September would go into the planning this spring

Richard

That is because of the time scales involved. The planning for this winters stoppage work would be planned this spring. anything reported last September would go into the planning this spring

Richard

There were so many faults that I really don't believe they hadn't been told about them.

There were so many faults that I really don't believe they hadn't been told about them.

CRT do take notice of the reports, they also have a limited budget and have to prioritise what they do. So, they aren't going to launch a repair team based on a single report. They will use that report with others and their own investigations to work out their priorities

Have a look at this: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5673.pdf

Richard

CRT do take notice of the reports, they also have a limited budget and have to prioritise what they do. So, they aren't going to launch a repair team based on a single report. They will use that report with others and their own investigations to work out their priorities

Have a look at this: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5673.pdf

Richard

I am aware of prioritising and budgets but I can't believe I was the only one who complained about a lock which took over half an hour to fill or empty and had half the paddle gear swathed in tape (which looked as if it had been there along time) showing they knew about the faults.

The Erewash must be very low on their priorities.

EDIT: To say I am in general supportive of CRT and have always had prompt and pleasant dealings with them.

Edited by Jerra

If you had no plans to meet a time schedule you probably wouldn't have been so frustrated.

I've found that planning and inland boating (especially where locks are concerned) don't go hand in hand. It works better when we go with the flow.

Said from the comfort of an armchair, with no need to get a boat somewhere and no need to get back to work afterwards? As Richard said elsewhere, why bother to move at all?

In reality though, people change moorings, like exploring the canal system and have to go back to work, some sort of schedule is essential, and a bunch of clowns who haven't thought through their operation and then block your way is a nuisance, especially when those clowns are working for the navigation authority.

Perhaps I should board Lutine next week for the move from Marple to Devizes, and advise my employers I'll be back in work after Christmas...

If you had no plans to meet a time schedule you probably wouldn't have been so frustrated.

I've found that planning and inland boating (especially where locks are concerned) don't go hand in hand. It works better when we go with the flow.

You dont venture off the canals much then frusty.gif

Said from the comfort of an armchair, with no need to get a boat somewhere and no need to get back to work afterwards? As Richard said elsewhere, why bother to move at all?

In reality though, people change moorings, like exploring the canal system and have to go back to work, some sort of schedule is essential, and a bunch of clowns who haven't thought through their operation and then block your way is a nuisance, especially when those clowns are working for the navigation authority.

Perhaps I should board Lutine next week for the move from Marple to Devizes, and advise my employers I'll be back in work after Christmas...

...another person who likes to put words in someone's mouth without knowing them...why do people choose a lifestyle then get frustrated when others won't fit around it?

C - R has my sympathies, and knowing her and Dave as I do they are laid back but like to travel the canal and river network: they are also moving their boat from Calf Heath on the Staffs and Worse to Clayworth on the Chesterfield, okay they didn't have to go up the Erewash but if no one did any cruising they didn't have to do the canals would soon be in a sad state, so in response to this...

...another person who likes to put words in someone's mouth without knowing them...why do people choose a lifestyle then get frustrated when others won't fit around it?

I refer to your previous statement...

Which, without elaboration, suggests that C- R and Postcode should not have any expectation as to what day or even what week they might reach Clayworth!

I'd agree that setting an ambitious schedule that leaves no daylight hours spare should something go wrong is unwise, but that's not what you said!

(I'm stuck in a public inquiry, slightly bored and the nature of my work here means that when I'm not arguing with the other side I need to find someone else to argue with wink.png )

Edited by magpie patrick

C - R has my sympathies, and knowing her and Dave as I do they are laid back but like to travel the canal and river network: they are also moving their boat from Calf Heath on the Staffs and Worse to Clayworth on the Chesterfield, okay they didn't have to go up the Erewash but if no one did any cruising they didn't have to do the canals would soon be in a sad state to in response to this...

I refer to your previous statement...

Which, without elaboration, suggests that C- R and Postcode should not have any expectation as to what day or even what week they might reach Clayworth!

I'd agree that setting an ambitious schedule that leaves no daylight hours spare should something go wrong is unwise, but that's not what you said!

(I'm stuck in a public inquiry, slightly bored and the nature of my work here means that when I'm not arguing with the other side I need to find someone else to argue with ;) )

Agreed, nothing like a good argument to break up the boredom...lots of popcorn has been eaten on this forum.

I spent many years of my life in the wrong lifestyle for me and found that it rubbed off on those around me. That doesn't happen much now but I still have to make some compromises like getting to gigs and seeing the family I chose to have..

There are some less fortunate out there who really don't have any choice of lifestyle, that can't be easy...

Following your logic, no hire boat would ever leave its base, and no leisure boater would leave their mooring.

So if you worked for a company that had you out all day without a meal break, if that was the truth how would you feel about it?

So if you worked for a company that had you out all day without a meal break, if that was the truth how would you feel about it?

I might be miffed but I wouldn't express any dissatisfaction about it in front of the customers.

The "young chap" was probably a new trainee. In a situation like this, the last thing I woukd want is an inexperienced newbie "helping" he will learn more the first time by watching.

The team leader I know personally. He is very experienced and dedicated.

For example, how many workers do you know who at 9 or 10pm, after being out with friends to celebrate his significant birthday, would spend an hour or so on the phone until 2200hrs ringing round to find a coworker to go out to the Erewash to sort out a low water problem?

One of the gentlemen in question follows the forum and has read this rant.

I do think Cheshire Rose would be right to offer an apology.

You should take into consideration the big recent changes to their T nCs. NO overtime. Staff cuts. Work contracted out.

Why should CRT staff on the bank be different to any other worker on a similar package?

Well, they are. 95% care about their work and boaters!

I used the term "young chap" because he is not only much younger than me but I felt he was probably the youngest of the three of them. "Young" is a comparitive term. I probably should not have referred to him in this way in these days of ageism being wrong but the reason I used the term was to differentiate between the people in the group. Another time I should perhaps refer to people as "person number 1" etc.

The person who I suspect was the team leader (but I do not know for sure) certainly came across to me as being extremely conciencious and professional. I can believe a person like that is an assett to CRT but what a shame he is let down by other people?

As you seem to know at least one of the individuals personally perhaps you know that the person I referred to as "the young chap" is an inexperienced newbie? If that is the case then how can he possibly have kown enough of the difference between BW & CRT to have been bad mouthing the current management compared to the good old BW days? Or perhaps he is a newbie who has had an indoctination by his co-workers?

I am unsure who you feel it is I owe an apology to?

I have related an experience we had to the forum. I have not read any of the other posts after yours yet Jelunga so I do not know if other forum members have been upset by anything I wrote. When I wrote my rant I was in a state of shock. I was shocked that I should hear the words "I do not care" aimed at me by a CRT worker. I do not see how me relating my account of events is likely to have upset other forum members?

Perhaps you feel I owe an apology to a guy who told me he did not care? Well no sorry - I DO care and that is what I told him. I did not say it in a nasty way and to prove I meant no malice I offered cake (I was genuinely concerned that he had not eaten all day)

With regard to the point that Bizzard made about it being potentially dangerous to let water down with the crane under the bridge. When I read that I took it to be tongue in cheek so did not reply. In fact when the crane was under the bridge it was CRT who had been letting water down (and in doing so left the pound above very low) As we appraoched Sandiacre Lock (the one above the problem) we had no way of knowing what form the problem was taking below. We had been told by passing cyclists that there was a boat stuck in a bridgehole and a suggestion of it being stuck on the bottom. If it had been dangerous for me to draw the paddles on Sandiacre lock then they should have put come sort of closure notice on the lock of send one of the team up to that lock to warn appraoching boaters not to send water down. I do not believe drawing those paddles caused any harm at all because it was only when water had been let down for around 30 minutes that the bywash started running again. Dave only went to run water down when the crane had risen up in the lock and was stuck once again

Second question, Do you think they see us a customers?

I have no idea, I don't work for CRT.

However I suspect some CRT staff do see licence payers as their 'customers''

Edited by The Dog House