The Pride? Of Sherwood - A Rant!

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

This post is about a CRT crane barge called “The Pride of Sherwood” The name of the boat is the only place you will find any pride!

People who know me will know it takes quite a bit to make me lose my cool but today I am very sorry to say I did.

People who know me will also know I am extremely keen “pro” CRT and nothing that has happened today has changed my mind. We have just had an excellent demonstration of what CRT is up against from right within their very own ranks. Please excuse me while I have a rant!

There we were having a delightful little trip down The Erewash. We completed the entire trip to the summit yesterday and enjoyed it but got a little frustrated by the number of paddles/anti vandal locks that were out of action. We decided to keep a log of which paddle gear had issues on the return journey so we could drop an email to CRT reporting our findings. We caught up with a CRT lengths man who was carrying out extremely thorough checks on all the structures, lock gates and paddle gear along his route. He was a cheerful chap and after checking our plans he agreed not to turn any locks against us but to use our passage to assist him with his checks – seeing the paddles and gates opening and assisting us as we went on our way and recording his findings. At the last lock he had to check he bade us farewell but warned us that a team were supposed to be bringing a wide crane barge up today and there was a strong possibility we might meet them. Sods law would predict that is we did it would be on a narrow section so we were glad of getting a heads up.

A short time later every cyclist that passed us started warning us that there was a big barge stuck under a bridge ahead. We locked through Sandiacre lock and the warning was that it was after the next lock. A lady who lived aboard a boat in the next pound warned us the pound was very low, all their boats were listing badly as they had been left high and dry by the CRT guys letting water down through the lock to try and get the crane barge free as it was grounded under a bridge in the mouth of the lock.

We knew a friend of ours was tied in the next pound and so knowing there was little point in us arriving at the next lock and getting in the way and being unable to get anywhere close to the bank because the pound was so low so we bumped along the middle until we came to our friends boat and tied to him. I made some lunch and Dave walked ahead to see what the problem was.

This was the problem:

10389972_10152379853359070_6104910225107

Dave told the CRT guys we were waiting to come down the lock but had tied round the corner to keep out of their way. They now had the barge in the lock but it was stuck again. It was fairly obvious to us the reason it was stuck was because they had already removed so much water from the pound it could not get out of the lock. Dave suggested they needed water let down from the next lock but they were intent on trying to winch the barge through. Their tug was still down below the lock and had been pushing the barge into the lock.

Dave walked the short distance back to the previous lock and let water down, He let a significant amount down but when you are a distance away and out of sight of the problem it can be hard to know if you have let enough down. In the mean time I walked down to the problem lock. I found one guy holding a rope (that was not doing a lot) another guy busy with the winch (and tightening up the dolly he was winching from) the third younger guy was standing with his arms folded watching.

I approached and stated the obvious – “you are still stuck then” Yes replied the young guy. What is the problem? I asked. He started to tell me that the problem was they has very poor management indeed – that the entire system had gone to pot since BW had been taken over by CRT. They didn’t have enough staff and they were all overworked and their policies were all wrong.

“So instead of standing there moaning about your managers why don’t you just walk up to the next lock and let some water down?”

Why? Because he did not really care - He had been stuck on this job all day, had not had anything to eat all day and it was almost time to knock off!

I saw red! I told him that maybe he didn’t care and maybe he hadn’t eaten all day but he better start caring because we had planned to be off the canal and away that day and if he could stand there with his arms folded taking that attitude then why on earth had my husband been bothered to go and let water down to help them out? He had no way of knowing how much water needed to be let down or what was happening back here in the lock! I said it is quite obvious to me, as someone who has experience of crewing a deep draughted ex-BW workboat, that all they needed to do was bring more water down and float the thing free. At that the guy’s attitude changed completely. He didn’t seem to have any idea they were causing an obstruction. He went to get a windlass but one of the other guys (who had come out in a van to help them) said he would drive up to the next lock and let more water down. Looking at this huge and apparently high powered vessel I was surprised that it was not self-propelled. I asked about this and was told that the engine was broken on it.

At that point another boater arrived below the lock hoping to lock up. We explained the problem. Just then Dave appeared with our boat. He had let enough water down to allow us to move again and decided if he came down to the lock then perhaps we could snatch the crane barge clear of the lock.

10301428_10152379853354070_4519517795468

Carrie~Lou was harnessed and after a couple of gentle attempts at towing Dave gave a hearty snatch and the combination of that and there being a little more water coming down and the beast was free. The CRT guy who appeared to be the skipper was extremely grateful for our help. The young chap seemed to disappear.

10325670_10152379853519070_1859589727316

10292213_10152379853674070_2495976957694

I pondered on the fact that they had to use a vessel like that with a tug because the engine was broken – it must be a very expensive bit of kit and if it is not working properly it must be a bit of a liability for them. I mentioned this to one of the local people and they told me that there was nothing wrong with the engine or gearbox! I was told there was a mattress round the prop and none of them knew how to get it off! Now this bit might be hearsay but to be honest to see them unsuccessfully trying to winch a boat out of a lock when it was blindingly obvious to anyone with an ounce of knowledge about boating that it just needed more water under it has led me to believe that this lot were a bunch of spanners! If you are going to flush water down from a short pound then don’t expect your boat to float when it arrives at that pound. It needed water bringing down from two or three locks up. There was plenty of it on the higher pounds they could bring down, all the bywashes were running well. Never mind trying to blame CRT for poor management – that guy ought to get off his butt and go and manage some water himself!

The other boater waiting to come up the lock probably hit the nail on the head. He said the problem with CRT as managers is they make their staff work now and they can’t get away with shirking like they have in the past.

I find it deeply concerning that some CRT staff seem willing to unleash a tirade of negative stuff about their organisation to the very people who are paying their wages when what they should be doing is acting as ambassadors for the organisation.

Ok that is my rant over!

Sorry I just needed to vent!

• Greenie 4

Cracking rant that like....

But I totally get where you are coming from, not because CRT are doing a bad job but somebody has found an excuse to do a bad job.....

Edited by The Dog House

....or perhaps if some of the management who like to sit behind desks all day and send emails out were actually on the ground, they may be able to get their teams respect, work with them, advise them, help them make decisions (which they may NOT be empowered to do, fearing disciplinary action if they do something not normally done..)etc etc

I think you may well be right, but in the interests of balance, I should relate that we met the very same wide boat (I think) in a narrow section whilst going up the Erewash last year. It was working on the bank, and whilst there was a Melaleuca width of canal left for us to use, as it was right on the offside, it was certainly not Melaleuca depth. We ended up with one or two CRT chaps on the end of every rope, and they more-or-less carried Melaleuca past the work boat. All were enthusiastic and pleasant.

MP (no longer moored in the middle of the T&M)

I must say that one chap (the one that went up to let water down) I had little contact with but he seemed fine. another chap was very pleasant and extremely thankfull for our assistance. It was just the attitude of the young chap that made me flip.

Dave has since said to me that when he was there he realised that they may be unlikely to accept any suggestion of how to fix the problem that he might make and so opted to simply take himself off to the next lock and let water down. Dave suggested that it probably took an rant from an unexpected source to make them wake up a bit!

Can't quite see properly but if that's a hi-ab jib on that work boat it looks perilously close to the underside of that bridge, maybe that was the reason why they hadn't sent water down up to that point. If so Dave you might have done untold damage by interfering, letting water down. smile.png

Perhaps if someone from CRT is reading this thread then training needs could be identified and sorted from your rant.

People standing with arms folded are not really productive in the scheme of things.

Understanding a problem and the correct solution may require more knowledge.

....or perhaps if some of the management who like to sit behind desks all day and send emails out were actually on the ground, they may be able to get their teams respect, work with them, advise them, help them make decisions (which they may NOT be empowered to do, fearing disciplinary action if they do something not normally done..)etc etc

Reassemble in correct order : head hit nail the on the have you

Can't quite see properly but if that's a hi-ab jib on that work boat it looks perilously close to the underside of that bridge, maybe that was the reason why they hadn't sent water down up to that point. If so Dave you might have done untold damage by interfering, letting water down. smile.png

Again Nail head the hit on the have you

Bassplayer, I wonder why you feel that our plans were part of the problem?

It was around 2pm and there were just 3 locks and 3 miles until we were off the canal. Sadly we are not cc'ers who have all the time in the world to enjoy that stunning bit of canal. I would have loved to have spent a few days up and back because I think it is a canal that deserves it.

We pressed on doing long days at the start of our trip to allow us the time to do that pleasant detour but now we have a tide to catch in a couple of days. I was quite calm about the delay until the guy started wingeing that he hadn't eaten and it was almost time to knock off.

I perhaps ought to add that I am w totally heartless. When he appeared to start getting his ar@e into gear to actually do something constructive I offered him some cake as he had not eaten. That raised a huge laugh from his two colleagues who warned me not to feed him. I suspect maybe they were pleased to see him do something useful!

Oh and no matter who you work for you should NEVER moan about management or the organisation to your customers

I must say that one chap (the one that went up to let water down) I had little contact with but he seemed fine. another chap was very pleasant and extremely thankfull for our assistance. It was just the attitude of the young chap that made me flip.

Dave has since said to me that when he was there he realised that they may be unlikely to accept any suggestion of how to fix the problem that he might make and so opted to simply take himself off to the next lock and let water down. Dave suggested that it probably took an rant from an unexpected source to make them wake up a bit!

The "young chap" was probably a new trainee. In a situation like this, the last thing I woukd want is an inexperienced newbie "helping" he will learn more the first time by watching.

The team leader I know personally. He is very experienced and dedicated.

For example, how many workers do you know who at 9 or 10pm, after being out with friends to celebrate his significant birthday, would spend an hour or so on the phone until 2200hrs ringing round to find a coworker to go out to the Erewash to sort out a low water problem?

One of the gentlemen in question follows the forum and has read this rant.

I do think Cheshire Rose would be right to offer an apology.

It was around 2pm and there were just 3 locks and 3 miles until we were off the canal. Sadly we are not cc'ers who have all the time in the world to enjoy that stunning bit of canal. I would have loved to have spent a few days up and back because I think it is a canal that deserves it.

We pressed on doing long days at the start of our trip to allow us the time to do that pleasant detour but now we have a tide to catch in a couple of days. I was quite calm about the delay until the guy started wingeing that he hadn't eaten and it was almost time to knock off.

I perhaps ought to add that I am w totally heartless. When he appeared to start getting his ar@e into gear to actually do something constructive I offered him some cake as he had not eaten. That raised a huge laugh from his two colleagues who warned me not to feed him. I suspect maybe they were pleased to see him do something useful!

Oh and no matter who you work for you should NEVER moan about management or the organisation to your customers

You should take into consideration the big recent changes to their T nCs. NO overtime. Staff cuts. Work contracted out.

Why should CRT staff on the bank be different to any other worker on a similar package?

Well, they are. 95% care about their work and boaters!

If you had no plans to meet a time schedule you probably wouldn't have been so frustrated.

I've found that planning and inland boating (especially where locks are concerned) don't go hand in hand. It works better when we go with the flow.

I am trying to think what I would have done, albeit from the comfort of an easy chair, with time to contemplate, so perhaps what I am going to saying is how I would like to think I would have dealt with it (and not necessarily how I would have dealt with it if you understand the subtle difference). However it is the way I usually try to deal with things that get under my skin.

Ask if you can help - don't assume that what you do will actually help especially if you are out of sight of the 'problem'

However staff (CRT or not) present themselves they are the experts and it is, after all, their train set

Keep offering assistance even if it is just the piece of cake and tea/coffee

If you are going to complain I think the best place to complain is quietly, with thought, in an e-Mail or letter to the organisation concerned, in this case CRT. Putting a complaint on any electronic media is a more 'instant' reaction and reminds me (as a generalisation) of the old saying 'fools rush in where Angels fear to tread'.

Something my Mum taught me many, many moons ago, which I try to follow (but am not always successful at) is 'write the letter, put it away, get it out the following morning and ask yourself just one question - would I like to have received that letter this morning?' For letter read e-Mail, Facebook, Twitter and so on. Electronic media is so quick these days - too quick perhaps?

We took Sculptor to Crick yesterday, it looked, due to the amount of traffic at Watford, as if we may not make it up the flight despite leaving Stoke Bruerne at 08:30 so we just sat down and made arrangements for the following day in case we had to return. That passed the time and before we knew it we were on our way up and into Crick with no one stressed! No amount of pressure on the Voly Lockkeeper would have changed anything!

Edited by Leo No2
  • Greenie 4

Something my Mum taught me many, many moons ago, which I try to follow (but am not always successful at) is 'write the letter, put it away, get it out the following morning and ask yourself just one question - would I like to have received that letter this morning?' For letter read e-Mail, Facebook, Twitter and so on. Electronic media is so quick these days - too quick perhaps?

Very good point made there. The trouble is that if we thought too much on this forum it might not be as much fun to read...;)

Damn' right. I am reminded of that whimpering apology for a headmaster, Utton, who was recently on telly news whining about the management, the system, the education department, anything wrong with his school was apparently everybody's fault but his own. As a long-serving schoolmaster myself I realise that there can be grievances in school life - but the headmaster should NEVER give any hint of these in public, especially on mass media for chrissake. His job is to project a united front. ( My Dad was a headmaster and I remember him discussing work problems at home which he would never talk about to parents or outsiders). Fortunately he mentioned that he was leaving the school; if I'd been from the education department and had seen his abject, invertebrate performance, I would have been handing him his P45 personally the next morning.

If somebody in such a position of authority can commit such an appalling error of judgement, I suppose we should not be surprised if a youngster, perhaps a trainee, has done likewise. But I hope that the foreman rebuked (sorry, "counselled") him afterwards - though not in sight of members of the public.

I think he was just a disgruntled young lad possibly doing a job he doesn't really want to do, possibly forced into it by his parents, maybe theirs a shortage of jobs for youngsters up there and he was lolling and wasting at home boozing and getting up to mischief and maybe his mum and dad shouted at him, we don't know, GET OUT, GET OUT AND GET A JOB, OR GET OUT, WHEN I WAS AGE!!mad.gif ect ect ect ect, and he got all frightened frustrated like and got out and found a job, offered his services to Cart.

• Greenie 1