Tow from Tewkesbury?? Help!!

Sinead Carnie

Featured Posts

HOORRA

Being as mad as yourselves, and a fellow rescuer of boats, one who tends to see good not bad I salute you Both, I truly wish you well, you will need lorry loads of time, patience, and some more. clapping.gif

The forum will bring much support and advice,genuinely excited for you Good Luck. And please keep us updated kind regards Martin

Hi Martin, ha ha yes mad is definitely accurate! Thank you very much for your support! Matty will be working on her full time until she is finished and we have lots of friends willing to get stuck in too so we will get there. It's a challenge but also an adventure and we can't bloody wait!!!. We know she is a wreck and we are under no illusions of the enormity of the task ahead but as you obviously know that makes it all more worth it in the end. Its great to know we can get advice on here without fear of negative or condescending replies! Everyone is really helpful and encouraging , love it!biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

I think you went past us this afternoon at Fisher Mill Bridge, on the Birmingham & Fazeley. I was too slow to get the camera out! Good luck with the rest of the trip home, and hope you don't have to bowhaul all the way!!

Hi yes that was us, the crazy people towing by hand! Thank you we are nearly there now, it's been an adventure to say the least!

I saw the thread about this boat several months ago. It's great to hear it's been rescued and found a new ownerclapping.gif .

I will look forward to hearing it's progress on it's voyage and re-fit.

Jamescheers.gif

Thanks James, we have a massive task ahead but we like a challenge! biggrin.png

What a fantastically uplifting thread!

Wishing you all the best.

Janet

Thank you for your well wishes Janet! we really are determined to save her! What has not been mentioned on here, although Im sure many are aware of is that she was originally owned by the author Jeremy Scanlon who wrote Innocents Afloat and Inkeepers Afloat. Unicorn was parted from him in a very underhand way and he lost a lot of money due to the dishonesty of a certain person. I have contacted Jeremy as I know how much she meant to him and wanted him to see that she will be beautiful again, he travelled on her for 35 years and has written about this. So she has a lot of history and it just makes us all the more determined! It was a difficult time for him and unfortunately lost his wife Dorothy a month or so ago so its been very kind of him to help us with advice and by putting us in touch with someone who knows the boat and its history so we have a good idea of some of the work that will need to be done.

thats a great pic in the album of te canal behind the poppys - its my favorite flower.

Mine too. Lovely photo!

Last photo in the album is just as evocative of real life boating IME. It appears to be raining slightly, what do you think?

:)

Best wishes to to OP in your project. You seem like very nice people.

MtB

Mine too. Lovely photo!

Last photo in the album is just as evocative of real life boating IME. It appears to be raining slightly, what do you think?

smile.png

Best wishes to to OP in your project. You seem like very nice people.

MtB

Thankyou, yes it absolutely slashed it down for days while Matty was towed up to the Worcester and Birmingham by the SARA team, a very precarious journey up the Severn with whole trees flying by. The roof leaks terribly, there are windows missing and they had no working facilities on her other than a bucket, camping stove and air bed. Thankfully the weather has turned and hopefully will stay dry now as we need to replace the whole cabin as quickly as possible so we can get started properly. I will of course be supervising from the towpath with a glass of something in my hand until that's done wink.png

I seem to remember this boat from years ago, is it a Malcolm Braine boat?

No its a Chris Barney boat. He only did 4 at 70 ft the others were Angel. Water Shrimp and Pioneer if I remember correctly. It was built in 1974 Edited by Sinead Carnie

Hya only just caught up with this thread - what a fantastic story!

You obviously have the determination to see this through - please keep us up to date with the renovations. You'd be surprised how many people read threads like these but don't post - there'll be an awful lot of people out there following your story.

Best of luck :)

Brilliant thanks Paul! , they are great shots!

No problem. This boat was always a bit of a sad sight, gradually deteriorating on the wall by the mill.

I'm glad it's finally going to get some TLC - best of luck with the refurb job!

I remember this boat tying for several years in the moorings above The Boot pound at Lapworth. That would have been back in the 1980's. I last saw UNICORN on the Llangollen Canal back in 2005, somewhere near Chirk - quite a distinctive boat captain.gif

No its a Chris Barney boat. He only did 4 at 70 ft the others were Angel. Water Shrimp and Pioneer if I remember correctly. It was built in 1974

ANGEL OF ISLINGTON (B.W.B. index 66646 per my 1983 printout) if I remember correctly, and operated as a multi-user boat that travelled the country full of local kids and community groups - with Kate Jayne as long term 'steerer'.

edit - and WATER SHRIMP should be one word, i.e. WATERSHRIMP (B.W.B. index 70441 per my 1983 printout).

sorry if this makes me appear to be a pedant or imperious.

Edited by pete harrison