Tow from Tewkesbury?? Help!!

Sinead Carnie

Featured Posts

you'll have give him his oats every morning,noon and night.

He already has a ready brek glow wink.png

If you search Ebay for "Sabb" you find far more car spares than marine engines!

Ha ha .. very true. I make wood angel wings and sell them on Ebay.. Im sure I would sell more if I listed them as Angle wings

Holy cow.... I thought that boat would never go anywhere! Last time we were in Tewkesbury a bunch of teenagers were using it as a play area.

One thought: the Severn Area Rescue Association have a base in Tewkesbury. It's not their usual work, but if you need a short tow upriver to a boatyard where it can be looked at, they might perhaps be prepared to give you a hand in return for a donation.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

He already has a ready brek glow wink.png

Ha ha .. very true. I make wood angel wings and sell them on Ebay.. Im sure I would sell more if I listed them as Angle wings

Angels buy their wings on eBay? Well I never!

One lives and learns...

:D

MtB

Holy cow.... I thought that boat would never go anywhere! Last time we were in Tewkesbury a bunch of teenagers were using it as a play area.

One thought: the Severn Area Rescue Association have a base in Tewkesbury. It's not their usual work, but if you need a short tow upriver to a boatyard where it can be looked at, they might perhaps be prepared to give you a hand in return for a donation.

And she's in the water now! just found out so its full steam ahead... ....or not as the case may be ha ha . Thanks for the advice that's great, definitely worth a try

Congrats!!!

I'm sure the little twin cylinder Sabb will be quite straightforward to coax into life. Get some more opinions as I'm surprised your mechanic can't figure out what's wrong. Better to spend money getting the engine fixed than on outboards, lorries, whatever.

Do keep us informed. Got any photos of the lift-in?

MtB

Congrats!!!

I'm sure the little twin cylinder Sabb will be quite straightforward to coax into life. Get some more opinions as I'm surprised your mechanic can't figure out what's wrong. Better to spend money getting the engine fixed than on outboards, lorries, whatever.

Do keep us informed. Got any photos of the lift-in?

MtB

Thanks! I'm a little shocked after all the stuff i read on the internet about how she would never be saved or would sink etc! dont have any photos im gutted! as im up in warwickshire but will be getting over there as soon as we can. We will keep trying with the engine. just exploring all possibilities in the meantime

A Sabb is a very basic diesel, if it has fuel and compression it should go. No fancy electric bits to stop it. I wounder if it might save you money to find another engineer, even if you spend £500 getting it going its cheaper than a lift out/in and lorry

A good engine man is Gordon Howson - see this thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=47645

He lives not too far from Tewkesbury

Good luck!

Thank you for that , not being from the area it's hard to know where to go!

A Sabb is a very basic diesel, if it has fuel and compression it should go. No fancy electric bits to stop it. I wounder if it might save you money to find another engineer, even if you spend £500 getting it going its cheaper than a lift out/in and lorry

Yes we are definitely starting to come around to that way of thinking, its cost us to put her in the water so we don't want to be having to lift her out again if at all possible.

Glad to hear you have managed to float her without too many dramas.

As others have pointed out, the Sabb is a very straightforward engine. Getting it going again if at all possible is your best option.

Ken

We have the loan of an engine to get us back to the Midlands now so we should be sorted, just got to get all the licencing/insurance sorted next! Thanks for everyone's time.

I can recommend Basic Boat Liability if you are looking for Third Party insurance to get the boat legal.

Clicky

Not something I have do but it may be worthwhile asking CaRT about trade plates as its obviously not a "usable" boat.

Why isn't it "usable".

If it is watertight and has an engine then it is a boat and CRT don't just hand out trade plates.

Why isn't it "usable".

If it is watertight and has an engine then it is a boat and CRT don't just hand out trade plates.

Well I do wonder having seen some of them about the system and I don't think they were boat deliveries. I don't know the criteria for getting one, but I did know someone who had one a few years back and he was surprised when he asked it was just "given" to him.

I was under the impression this boat need a lot of work due to the flood damage, maybe I am wrong.

I was under the impression this boat need a lot of work due to the flood damage, maybe I am wrong.

It needs loads of work but as most of the interior is scrap it shouldn't be too tricky getting a BSC.

I tried getting trade plates to move a refloated wooden boat to dry dock and was simply told "You're not trade so get a BSC and licence it like everyone else."

As the purpose of moving the boat was to get it to dry dock to get it into a state where it would pass the BSC inspection this wasn't an option so the boat was moved by stealth with the help of the blind eye of BW staff who weren't desk jockeys spouting the rules.

Once docked and made stable a BSC was acquired with no problems and the boat was licensed.