Selling the Dog House.....

Featured Posts

Brother in law has a biggish (30 foot ?) American LHD gas conversion camper, with seperate bedrooms, air-con, holding tank, electric levellers, Dinette etc etc and is looking around £23k or Part exchange a NB

Hopefully The Dog House is worth a fair bit more than that..........however your post raises an interesting idea about swapping the boat for one.

Here you go Martin,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2siygfyjxagl6jh/Image077.jpg

And it's Left Hand Drive as well !.

Nice try......

I do like your boat though.

Edited by The Dog House

How dare you think about putting another 60' boat on the market just as we are. mad.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bob

BTW we stopping at Pollington last night, wondered where you were.

Edited by lyraboat

Bugg! If/ when I get afloat after Anderton lift and the big wheel my next goal was to meet Dennis on Dog House ( and your good self's of course ) Simon, of the white legs, would have done.

Good luck with whatever you plan.

Do stay on with the forum. I might not have always gone with your views but you have made me smile.

Again, good luck.

As nice as that is we would be aiming for something fairly new, with a good lump of the engine/chassis and body integrity warranty remaining. Having been previous owners of caravans two of which suffered from damp ingress I know about how much of an expense it can be to sort out when things go wrong.

Good luck with your sale though.

PS what's the gizmo on the roof - for a Sat TV perhaps?

It is a Camos satellite receiver equivalent to 65cm dish.

Burstner is of finest German build quality - there is definitely no damp.

Good luck with your future adventures, don't forget ----- you are not here for a long time but you are here for a good time.

Alex

You can still get home within a day if you are travelling around Europe in a motorhome, just stick it on a campsite and jump on a sleazyjet flight home. I CC'd (continuously camped) around Europe for 4 years in my motorhome and it was a great experience. I often wish that I'd bought another motorhome instead of my boat.

I know exactly where Martin is coming from. We gave up hiring as you probably know last year to spend more time with our family and go boating. We have managed to go boating once so far this year so really do need to crank it up to ensure vfm.

The other thing is location, we are blessed with an EOG but equally know the canal a bit too well so need to seriously consider whether to hop around the system a bit either weekending on the towpath or using marinas. This of course would knacker the RYA side of our business which remains.

So all in all a bit of a dilemma - we are hoping to go off in August so lets see what transpires.

Do stay on with the forum. I might not have always gone with your views but you have made me smile.

I will absolutely agree , Martin and me have sparred many a time, but there are occasions when we have agreed as well.

This forum is as vibrant as it is due to the variety of people on it....Martin may lose interest once the boat goes, however , I think otherwise.

I will absolutely agree , Martin and me have sparred many a time, but there are occasions when we have agreed as well.

This forum is as vibrant as it is due to the variety of people on it....Martin may lose interest once the boat goes, however , I think otherwise.

We have sparred yes and disagreed too that is true, but I don't recall anything getting particularly unpleasant.....

anyway

I joined the forum in 2006, four years before we owned a boat and as things stand I don't plan to leave just because we sell up (if we do),

but it's fair to say the older your experience as a boater becomes the less knowledge you can share as it potentially becomes less useful and relevant, and that may be what limits what I can contribute to the forum.

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks John, yes the LHD suggestion is a good one.

On balance if you spend more time driving on the right it can be much better.

However, It can be a bit of a conundrum.

I've driven LHD vehicles in Europe, and taken RHD vans and trucks abroad with no problems, but a LHD on the country lanes of England can be a pain in the arse. Especially if you have to stop and fold the mirrors in to pass another large vehicle.

However, It can be a bit of a conundrum.

I've driven LHD vehicles in Europe, and taken RHD vans and trucks abroad with no problems, but a LHD on the country lanes of England can be a pain in the arse. Especially if you have to stop and fold the mirrors in to pass another large vehicle.

Sorry but you are going to run that one past me again, how is the difficulty of folding mirrors dependent on which side the steering wheel is...

Sorry but you are going to run that one past me again, how is the difficulty of folding mirrors dependent on which side the steering wheel is...

More to do with some English country lanes, narrow with high hedges etc necessitating having to fold in a mirror. If you're driving LHD in UK, and have to fold in your RHS mirror to pass another vehicle it renders you blindsided to the vehicle you are passing.

Just my personal experience of many years driving all sorts of vehicles.

More to do with some English country lanes, narrow with high hedges etc necessitating having to fold in a mirror. If you're driving LHD in UK, and have to fold in your RHS mirror to pass another vehicle it renders you blindsided to the vehicle you are passing.

Just my personal experience of many years driving all sorts of vehicles.

Got it, cheers.

We did talk last night about moving it back down to the Midlands and trying for another year and then see how we feel next year, the boat will still have three years BSC on it then and will still have some decent financial value left in it.

I think your concerns about the boat depreciating unless you continue to spend money on it are valid ones.

However, I would say with a boat as new as yours, you may be overplaying the BSS thing. It should be relatively straightforward to put a new ticket on it at any time of your choosing, and the costs would be low in the great scheme of boat ownership generally.

More significant I'm thinking, if you make little use of it, are just licence and mooring costs, (though I have no idea what you are paying for a Northern mooring).

Try a change of mooring before you make a final decision, probably won't make any difference to your decision but its worth a try.

Grand children , there will be no escape. You will find they take over your life and you won't mind a bit, everybody I meet loves their grand kids. They will probably love the boat and want to be little inland pirates.

I'm in a wierd position re boat as I'm basically trapped by circumstances. I cannot sell unless I can keep the mooring and look for another smaller boat so I can follow my plan to visit the northern canals . Shortened old boats are not so common but they are about.

Trouble is if life changes suddenly I will need the boat and cargo hold during a time of change. There's a few jobs to finish but no time to do them.

The Internet keeps me in touch with the wider world and keeps the feelings of isolation at bay.

I think your concerns about the boat depreciating unless you continue to spend money on it are valid ones.

However, I would say with a boat as new as yours, you may be overplaying the BSS thing. It should be relatively straightforward to put a new ticket on it at any time of your choosing, and the costs would be low in the great scheme of boat ownership generally.

More significant I'm thinking, if you make little use of it, are just licence and mooring costs, (though I have no idea what you are paying for a Northern mooring).

Combined our mooring and licence runs to just over £2000 per annum. Which is a lot of money to shell out if we are not going to be using the boat.

Combined our mooring and licence runs to just over £2000 per annum. Which is a lot of money to shell out if we are not going to be using the boat.

That is cheap compared to Marina moorings, I pay £3119 moorings and license, I tell a lot of people, being on the canals is not as cheap as you think and all these people who want a cheap way of life and are going to sell their house to live in a marina or the canal are shocked when they realise the actual costs involved.

That is cheap compared to Marina moorings, I pay £3119 moorings and license, I tell a lot of people, being on the canals is not as cheap as you think and all these people who want a cheap way of life and are going to sell their house to live in a marina or the canal are shocked when they realise the actual costs involved.

Yes - I should have clarified that is for an on line CRT LTM with minimal facilities. We used to pay more than that for a marina mooring but of course they had a lot more facilities.

We actually got our mooring at just above its reserve price.

Don't come Down south for a mooring then DH if you think £2000 (for what length boat) for BOTH License & Mooring per year is Dear.

But totally get where you are coming from on that point.

Can I ask, What do YOU want to do, really DH ?.

No I don't actually thinks its expensive, particularly given its such a nice mooring and I am aware of comparative costs further south as we used to moor in Mercia Marina in the Midlands, our old mooring alone there would now be costing us £2,860 per annum if we paid monthly for a 60ft boat.

It's not that I see it as costly as such, just that it's 'dead money' as I call it if you are not getting any benefit of it.

As to what I really want to do? - no real firm idea yet TBH, but I am becoming increasing inclined towards selling.

£2000 would easily cover the storage, licencing and insuring a Motorhome and go some way towards buying diesel for it too. Though of course you do have to factor in site fees while you are using it of course.

If you want an entertaining read about selling a narrowboat, then buying a motorhome and touring Europe, read this blog.

http://nbthemanlyferry.blogspot.co.uk/

Ok, they are our Antipodean cousins, and both of them are bloody mad, but they continue to live their dream. N.B.Caxton sold and motorhome bought, then off to europe, along with their pet menagerie.....

Got to love them. smile.png