Selling the Dog House.....

Featured Posts

Hi ya Matey,

Well, I have quite literally 15mins ago) just returned from a quick trip to Cows (IOW) then returned via Portsmouth to my home mooring at Littlehampton,

Logged on and this is the first post I looked at,

OMG

Ofcourse you have to do what is right for you, and am sure you have thought long and hard,

Can I offer good luck,and safe future whatever your decision actually turns out to be.

(Maybe Try a WB on the Rivers & Estuaries of UK and Europe as a bit of a change !.)

All that's needed to avoid divorce is to spend a little less time on a certain discussion forum. No need to sell the boat.

Well given that divorce was never mentioned I have no idea what the rationale behind that remark is.

That's the thing though we both have come to this point together, if there was some big disagreement between us about it, it would be a much harder decision to take.

The only thing I would say is that Jan has not enjoyed the northern part of system as she did Midlands, nor as much as I enjoy up here, she very much enjoyed the narrow canals and her enthusiasm has wained a bit quicker than mine since moving North.

But that is hardly likely to induce a divorce.

There are other things in life besides boats. The main thing is you have had a boat, and will not spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi ya Matey,

Well, I have quite literally 15mins ago) just returned from a quick trip to Cows (IOW) then returned via Portsmouth to my home mooring at Littlehampton,

Logged on and this is the first post I looked at,

OMG

Ofcourse you have to do what is right for you, and am sure you have thought long and hard,

Can I offer good luck,and safe future whatever your decision actually turns out to be.

(Maybe Try a WB on the Rivers & Estuaries of UK and Europe as a bit of a change !.)

Cheers Paul, do you happen to know anybody who might have a suitable boat for sale? :)

I have a lovely Burstner 625 for sale as we speak

Alex

As nice as that is we would be aiming for something fairly new, with a good lump of the engine/chassis and body integrity warranty remaining. Having been previous owners of caravans two of which suffered from damp ingress I know about how much of an expense it can be to sort out when things go wrong.

Good luck with your sale though.

PS what's the gizmo on the roof - for a Sat TV perhaps?

The only thing I would say is that Jan has not enjoyed the northern part of system as she did Midlands, nor as much as I enjoy up here, she very much enjoyed the narrow canals and her enthusiasm has wained a bit quicker than mine since moving North.

I can see her point. Have you considered finding a new mooring?

Richard

I can see her point. Have you considered finding a new mooring?

Richard

That indeed could be an option but then we are faced with the problem that prompted a move North and that's distance to get to the boat each time we want to use it.

Its a bugger when you live so far away from the main part of the system and of course we could move house to sort that one but that is a bit drastic and doesn't get us around Europe.

We did talk last night about moving it back down to the Midlands and trying for another year and then see how we feel next year, the boat will still have three years BSC on it then and will still have some decent financial value left in it.

As I say its an option.

ed to add - the other thing of course is it would then be on waterways better suited to a 60ft boat and may sell better down there rather than up here.

Edited by The Dog House

How about an extended summer cruise of a few months? You could do the Midland and southern canals. Then you would know if you are pining for something that didn't exist, have a mooring in the wrong place, are through with boating, are looking for another mooring, or some other thing

If nothing else, it would be a great send off for TDH

Richard

• Greenie 1

How about an extended summer cruise of a few months? You could do the Midland and southern canals. Then you would know if you are pining for something that didn't exist, have a mooring in the wrong place, are through with boating, are looking for another mooring, or some other thing

If nothing else, it would be a great send off for TDH

Richard

Again its an idea, cheers. We would need to be around in July for the forthcoming grand child on the way but we could pop back I suppose for that. We aren't going to be needed for any child care help until September next year when Emma goes back to work so an option could be to do that next summer before then instead of a grand tour of Europe as we are thinking at the moment.

We are in the same position, family commitments curtailed our boating earlier than we had planned so the boat is now a floating consumer of money, don't have the time to use it anymore and it's spent the last 4 years moored up so needs tidying up (blacking, coat of paint BT sorting etc) It provided us a home for over 5 years so doesn't really owe us much if we don't count nearly 2 years labour fitting it out (but it was a labour of love) Thing is do we spend a thousand or two tidying it up or hope someone who has some ethusiasm will be interested in taking it on at a reduced price (It was all great while it lasted but I've now lost my mojo!) Very well equipped and ready to live aboard full time.

Sounding like an advert. I hate selling stuff.

Onward and upward and all that.

We are in the same position, family commitments curtailed our boating earlier than we had planned so the boat is now a floating consumer of money, don't have the time to use it anymore and it's spent the last 4 years moored up so needs tidying up (blacking, coat of paint BT sorting etc) It provided us a home for over 5 years so doesn't really owe us much if we don't count nearly 2 years labour fitting it out (but it was a labour of love) Thing is do we spend a thousand or two tidying it up or hope someone who has some ethusiasm will be interested in taking it on at a reduced price (It was all great while it lasted but I've now lost my mojo!) Very well equipped and ready to live aboard full time.

Sounding like an advert. I hate selling stuff.

Onward and upward and all that.

That is exactly the position I want to avoid being in, 4 years from now with a rapidly depreciating asset on my hands. Our boat doesn't need blacking (it was done in October) but it could do with a few touch ups. I hate to think what it would be like in four years just sat there largely unused.

Hey !,

I bet there 'MIGHT' be someone that would RENT the boat for a few month, over the summer to help you make a final decision, and help Her / them into the boating world !.

Actually, scrub that, silly idea, I couldn't do it with my boat, I think the sun has got to me.

That is exactly the position I want to avoid being in, 4 years from now with a rapidly depreciating asset on my hands. Our boat doesn't need blacking (it was done in October) but it could do with a few touch ups. I hate to think what it would be like in four years just sat there largely unused.

Actually it's not bad, mainly cobwebs and dead flies inside the pramhood. Sat on a mooring isn't much different to cruising, after all it's only sat in the water in either case. Fortunately it's a dry boat so no difference inside, in fact probably better than living in it.

Edited by nb Innisfree

We have sort of fallen out of love with boating if I am honest.

I think this is the key point. If the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives then it's probably time to move on.

Occasionally I feel the same. Sometimes it feels like all I do is maintenance on the boat.

I have no dependants so my only liability is this boat and it's all that really keeps me in this country. If it wasn't that I love living on the boat I'd be gone tomorrow.

Do both!

800px-Top_Gear_Hammond_Dampervan_1.jpg

Admittedly there were a couple of minor teething problems and it did float a little low in the water

Image.jpg

but I'm sure with a bit of development it could be sorted.........

Hi Martin. Only you and Jan will know when the time is right to sell the boat and move on. With grandchildren on the way, your options can be limited if you wish to maintain close contact. You can always get home in a day with a boat in the U.K. ( Let the train take the strain!) A little more difficult if you are on the continent.

Our boat is moored at Crick, a 2 hr drive for us. Not ideal, but close to family and with easy access to the narrow canals. If you do go for a motor home, go for a LHD. makes life so much easier when on the continent. We have considered touring europe by motorholme and even went to the massive showroom at Newark to browse. Worth a look if you consider one, they have a massive choice. http://www.brownhills.co.uk/

Anyway, good luck which ever way you choose to go.

Hi Martin. Only you and Jan will know when the time is right to sell the boat and move on. With grandchildren on the way, your options can be limited if you wish to maintain close contact. You can always get home in a day with a boat in the U.K. ( Let the train take the strain!) A little more difficult if you are on the continent.Our boat is moored at Crick, a 2 hr drive for us. Not ideal, but close to family and with easy access to the narrow canals. If you do go for a motor home, go for a LHD. makes life so much easier when on the continent. We have considered touring europe by motorholme and even went to the massive showroom at Newark to browse. Worth a look if you consider one, they have a massive choice. http://www.brownhills.co.uk/Anyway, good luck which ever way you choose to go.

Thanks John, yes the LHD suggestion is a good one.

On balance if you spend more time driving on the right it can be much better.