Selling the Dog House.....

Featured Posts

Well we are not selling up at the moment but we are close.

Four years on from boat ownership for various reasons we do think it is possibly time to do so.

Our aims since retiring have changed, we now want to complete a big tour of Europe for one but whilst its possible by boat it would be easier and cheaper by alternative means.

Maintaining a boat is not cheap as any one will tell you, to keep on top of one costs serious money, money that could be spent elsewhere.

We have sort of fallen out of love with boating if I am honest.

Our BSS cert is due at the end of July and that will be crunch time, a bit like selling a car with a years MOT.

We nearly had to sell around a year ago for reasons that are now resolved, but the possibility of selling has raised it's head again.

Sorry for being a bit random in my post but it's a big decision....

Any thoughts welcome.....

I am sure Martin will still be a contributor, there are many people on here without boats.

I was surprised last year Martin, but these decisions have obviously taken a lot of time and thought. I too would love to boat on the continent and am a bit envious, however, work decrees that I must stay on these shores for a while yet.

Good luck with whichever choice you make.

I would say selling a boat with a new BBC would be easier than one which has expired or is about to.

This brings to mind the saying, " 'Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."

It sounds like you are just getting geared up for a new adventure. How exciting, and how great that you are following your heart and doing the things you want while you still can.

Sorry, I have no idea what that means....

It sounds like something one might expect from Paris Hilton, or perhaps "Gone with the Wind". In common English it is probably something like, "I'm speechless."

Life should be full of "seasons". Happiness is enjoying whatever season you are in, and if it's time to move into a new season....GO FOR IT!

;-)

ps....you would be sorely missed on the forum, but hopefully you'd stick around and report back from wherever you go.

Alternatively, you could just change boats, and change canals :)

What Dean & Alan said

I'm on about chapter 18 of my life and still loving it, can't tell you how many times I've started over and completely changed course. Isn't that what life's all about? If it feels right for you both - go for it and enjoy

B~

Though I'm sure you will still contribute from time to time, knowing The Dog House is vacant will sort of leave a hole. I feel certain that you have considered long and hatd and have arrived at the right decision.

A very good freind of mine sold up about the same time that we moved aboard and spent a year toodling around Europe until he found and fell in love with a decrepit Spanish farmhouse. He now farms Olives and Lemons, so who knows what you will end up doing. May I wish you all the luck in the World and say it has been a pleasure knowing you albeit only in an on-line way.

Phil

Blimey. A big decision.

You've been a huge contributor to the forum, and will be missed. Good luck in making the right decision for yourselves.

Blimey. You're keen. he hasn't gone yet and probably will not do so for some months.

If and when he does, he will be missed.

Not tempted by that French peniche then, Martin?

• Greenie 1

Thanks all for your thoughts, all very welcome.

We were talking about this last night again with family (we had a nice BBQ after doing some decorating) and they too understand where we are coming from.

I guess when we bought the boat we thought we would spend much longer periods on it, even the whole of the spring/summer but it just hasn't turned out like that at all for various reasons, we also bought a boat capable of taking four people expecting that family would want to come away regularly too but that didn't turn out like that either.

There are large parts of the UK that we like to explore by car that you just cant get to by boat, hence our trip by car to Devon next month (we love the South West)

French Peniche? - well yes at one time we were thinking of doing just that but as much as we loved the idea and love France we reckon we can see more of France (and the rest of Europe come to that) exploring it by road as opposed to river. There are some great French towns and villages and huge areas of France that are not even close to the waterways, the same goes for other countries too.

We would also particularly like to spend some time in Italy.

So we will see what the next couple of months bring... thanks again.

Hi Martin.

You have done the right thing and taken your time over choosing the best option for your retirement. We have sold our old family home but are retaining our retirement home in the uk. We are about to do something similar to yourselves, but our constraint is the old dog (16 and still going strong) who is giving us time to make the right choice. The other much younger dog is now a pet passport holder and so she can travel with us.

Our plans go something like this... Late spring to early autumn we will be boating in the UK. (for three more years) Then we will drive/tour our motor home down to Spain for the winter each year. Rent accomodation from friends we used to work with, to over winter. Returning like the swallows in early spring - we will make our way back for another boating season.

It will seem strange passing through Pollington and not giving you a toot...

A big desicion Martin but one you have obviously thought long and hard about.

I wish you the best of luck with your new adventure and the bar is always open on Naughty-Cal should you fancy a quick boating fix :)

In my mind making the decision is always the hardest bit, then the excitement follows.

There is a blogger who came over from Australian and brought NB Caxon and then did some travelling and very much enjoyed it as I am sure we all do/ will when we get the break from work. They then brought a motor home and are blogging about their travels. I have to say they have sold me on the locations and empty roads plus how easy it is to stop at towns and villages in Europe. At the same time other blogger NB Matilda Rosen has just taken their boat over to the European waterways and are blogging, in my mind not as positively as I'd expect, but the systems and waterways over in Europe are a little different.

I guess I am saying I have been convinced to see Europe you need wheels rather than a tiller... But every one is different.

Go for it I say, scratch the itch and see where it takes you.

Good luck,

Nev NB Percy

Whichever way you go I hope you find what you are looking for.

At least you have spent time on the canals and if now a different pathway beckons only you can make that decision which way to walk.

List pros and cons, gather facts and make whatever route you take right for you.