Lost Keys!

Maffi

Featured Posts

Reading this thread reminded me of how careless people can be with keys. I had a milkround in Boston for 4 years and started out shortly after midnight, at least once a night I would have to post someones keys through their letter box because they were left in the car door or the house door.

Phil

Edit for fat fingures

Edited by Phil Ambrose

There were no hire boats in the area other than the hire boat I let through the bridge, no hire boat came through before I returned. But I have ask all returning boats if they have an extra set of keys.

Edited by Maffi

Reading this thread reminded me of how careless people can be with keys. I had a milkround in Boston for 4 years and started out shortly after midnight, at least once a night I would have to post someones keys through their letter box because they were left in the car door or the house door.

Phil

Edit for fat fingures

Some years ago, after a spate of burglaries, one of my near neighbours carefully screwed down and wired closed his house doors and windows. On his return two weeks later he couldn't find his keys.

Eventually he found them still in the front door lock.

HH

I have always wondered if it is a good idea to have your mobile number attached to a set of keys. I can't think of a reason why not, it's not like your address or boat name is attached to them, so can anyone think why you shouldn't do it?

I do have a single BWB key on a float but that will not open the office, the storeroom, my boat, my bicycle. etc etc etc

Without trying to be flippant, now neither will the bunch of keys you routinely used to carry.

My idea was to have a BW key separate to carry with you and use as required, even though you have another bunch on you with everything else on it.

After all, the BW key is the only one (presumably) that will be retained by the lock while you leave it unattended and prone to forgetting.

George ex nb Alton retired

To avoid this terrible experience, I have one of those devices on our key ring that sounds an audible alarm when you whistle a particular tune, that way, you'll never be without these vital accessories again.

Before anyone asks, "Where do you buy one from?", I do not know, as I found it by chance on the towpath!

P.S. The magic whistling tune is 'We'll Meet Again', by Vera Lynn

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 1

I have always wondered if it is a good idea to have your mobile number attached to a set of keys. I can't think of a reason why not, it's not like your address or boat name is attached to them, so can anyone think why you shouldn't do it?

Our boat name is written on the cork ball which is attached to our key ring. I thought this was standard practice. Isn't it?

Always have a full set of spare keys on the boat, and one to get in, hidden in one of those little magnetic boxes. Having a tag on your keys with a contact number helps, must get aroung to doing that! cool.png

Edited by johnmck

We have a tag on George the Staffie. Never even thought of tagging keys. Good idea.

Keys are very much smaller than Staffies.

Edited to add, but can't run as quickly!

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Our boat name is written on the cork ball which is attached to our key ring. I thought this was standard practice. Isn't it?

If someone finds your keys and can find your boat, they could either return your keys, or burgle it! This assumes that they can be bothered to find your boat.

If you have your mobile number on your keys, it identifies nothing, but enables them to contact you with little effort.

Rooted out an old dog tag. This has both our mobile numbers theiron, but also the name " Ben", our dearly departed dog. So that seems sorted, if they go looking for a boat named Ben, then good luck to them!

Glad you "found" them!

We were at the boat last Friday doing a couple of jobs, yesterday morning (Tuesday), at home, Susan said "have you got my car keys?"

After searching high and low without success, I asked if she'd left them on the boat?

So I had a 55 mile round trip to go and look, there they were, on the worktop in the galley.

My wife knows just how you feel.

For her daughters 'significant' birthday, a hall was hired on a Saturday night and hordes of people partied to celebrate. At the end, a few of us cleared up, filling about six black bin liners with rubbish, food waste, used paper plates etc.

When it came time to lock up the keys could not be found, so the bags were emptied and a hand search made. After about an hour we gave up, everybody still helping went home, I drove my wife home, picked up a chain and padlock and went back to the hall to secure it.

Got home (about 02.00 by now) and she had found them in her handbag!!

What a lovely picture and post. great that you've been reunited with your lost ones. I now intend tagging my keys with phone number, an idea that i read on this thread.

So positive has indeed come from negative....

If someone finds your keys and can find your boat, they could either return your keys, or burgle it! This assumes that they can be bothered to find your boat.

If you have your mobile number on your keys, it identifies nothing, but enables them to contact you with little effort.

I see what you mean, but I don't think I am going to buy a mobile phone just so that I can write its number on my key ring!

That's good news about the keys Maffi. I am sure that, if interrogated under a bright light, many of us on here would confess to having done something similar in the past.