Another new way to lose your Licence

Tony Dunkley

Featured Posts

We are clearly only getting part of the story, and this could be very important if CRT are really acting in the way that TD has portrayed, so I think it's necessary for all the facts to be in the open if he wishes to be taken seriously.

Tim

That's a much better way of putting it Tim. And, in my experience, far more likely to evoke a response.

Ken I have said right from the beginning that I support the fact that this was done in agreement but you also have to see that the version CRT put out is different to the version agreed it has been tinkered with and sorry for having concerns for any changes that effect boaters

John, I went to a meeting before this was enacted with C&RT and the Waterways Partnership group who came up with the proposals and they were all in agreement that this was the way forward. The reason why boaters with a marina mooring were included in it is because it is designed to give fairer use of the waterway to everyone not as some people see it as an attack on CCing. I don't know if it will resolve the problems but it is a lot better than any previous attempt to solve the perceived problems.

Ken

Having cruised over much of the network (over 1000 miles) in the last 12 months I did find congestion a few times but generally speaking I could always find a mooring (not always where I would have liked). Certainly outside the Summer months there is no problem. Maybe the 'congestion' you speak of is only reported by occasional Summer boaters. In which case, if this rule is going to be applied, just apply it in Summer months. If it isn't broken, don't fix it....

It is the case that the problem is worse in the summer, hardly surprising. The Western end of the K&A between Bradford on Avon and Bath does get congested because there are limited moorings, so there is a problem and this is an attempt to fix it.

Ken

A slight aside - "back story" seems to have become this year's "in" expression, superseding "iconic" (last year) and "stunning" (the year before). Where does it originate? Is it synonymous with "the story behind this" or "the background to this"? It's an iconic and stunning expression, whatever its roots.

Well where does the back of anything originate?

It's the opposite of the front story. All stories have a front and a back, obviously. They have two sides, a top and a bottom too I suspect, although we don't generally hear about those.

Hope that helps.

MtB

It is the case that the problem is worse in the summer, hardly surprising. The Western end of the K&A between Bradford on Avon and Bath does get congested because there are limited moorings, so there is a problem and this is an attempt to fix it.

Ken

...so will this rule be applied to the entire network and all year round despite it being a localised problem in the Summer? I'm just saying it might be overkill for what appears to be a 'perceived' problem in a few peoples eyes...

I don't think so.

He's not given the facts. He's playing smoke and mirrors and has avoided any direct questions

I think he's trying to stir the Sh1t and spread miss-information

OK, at the risk of promoting the dark side;

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/6647-fairness-for-those-on-the-waterways

Now, this doesn't give huge amounts of detail, but it does tell us that Tony "chooses now not to use his home mooring", and that his home mooring "necessitates a three quarter of a mile walk to his boat".

We also learn that whilst not on his home mooring, he moves no more than 3-5 miles.

At the risk of leaping to a conclusion, we can suggest that Tony's home mooring is almost certainly the cheapest mooring around at the end of a Farmer's Field.

Let us consider the 1995 Act;

(i) the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere;

Now, clearly Tony has a place where the vessel may lawfully be left, but is it a place where it can reasonably be kept? I would suggest that as Tony has elected NOT to moor there, and as the distance that he (in poor health we are told) must walk is a factor in that decision, it is not, in his case, such a place.

There is an avenue open to Tony. He could move to (and pay for) a more suitable mooring, and all would be well.

However, it appears that he has decided to pay as little as possible, and having paid for a mooring with poor access simply to moor elsewhere with better access.

Let us not kid ourselves. Tony is attempting to work the system. he is trying to legitimise his bridge hopping.

• Greenie 3

That's a much better way of putting it Tim. And, in my experience, far more likely to evoke a response.

No matter how nicely you ask, I bet he won't give us the facts

Edited by Proper Job

But what would happen to the "tinkering Department"?

They could find something more important to do John. I think this is half the problem. Over the years I've been boating nothing much has actually changed in the real world but rules come and go.

It seems that the devil makes work for idle hands (and devil is often in the detail). With a bit of respect most of us get on and work around each other. The trouble is that there are a few people who shout loudly and expect everything to fit around them.

I couldn't agree more as I said earlier I would like to know the back story. To me refusal to give at least some more details makes me very suspicious that all is not as we are are supposed to believe.

Jerra's use of the phrase "back story" may have hit the nail upon the head, given its definition here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstory

"a set of events invented for a plot, presented as preceding and leading up to that plot. It is a literary device of a narrative history all chronologically earlier than the narrative of primary interest"

To answer MtB's query, a front story would logically be the fiction for which a back story was created, a top story is just a very good one, and a bottom story would be either (1) an article by a proctologist in a medical journal or (2) an account of navigating a badly dredged waterway in a deep-draughted boat.

Tony Dunkley

Cut the crap

Where is your home mooring? Where do you go to every time you leave your home mooring?

What is the duration that you stay at each of the mooring locations?

.......... or are you taking the piss

Brief and to the point...pithy even

Greenie

...so will this rule be applied to the entire network and all year round despite it being a localised problem in the Summer? I'm just saying it might be overkill for what appears to be a 'perceived' problem in a few peoples eyes...

No as it stands it is a trial for one year and only applies to the K&A from Foxhangers, bottom of the Caen Hill, to Bath, roughly twelve miles of waterway.

Ken

Well where does the back of anything originate?

It's the opposite of the front story. All stories have a front and a back, obviously. They have two sides, a top and a bottom too I suspect, although we don't generally hear about those.

Hope that helps.

MtB

Thanks for filling in the frontground, I knew I could rely on you.

Thanks for filling in the frontground, I knew I could rely on you.

Surely foreground is the opposite of background, although it does get in the way of your pune

Richard

LOL and this coming from one known for her niceties when posting?

Bettie dear, please put me back on your ignore list, it's obvious that most of my posts go straight over your head and I know how much distress that must cause.

Bettie dear, please put me back on your ignore list, it's obvious that most of my posts go straight over your head and I know how much distress that must cause.

EmmaB, as you have posted on a public forum I feel free to say "What a patronising and unpleasant post".

Having met Bettie on several occasions she is not the fool you you infer her to be.

I rather doubt that your posts go over the head of anybody here, unless they happen to be laid down in the gutter,

I rather doubt that your posts go over the head of anybody here, unless they happen to be laid down in the gutter,

I make absolutely no judgement on your preferred recreational pursuits.

But please, David, be careful.

Group A- Piss takers = very small minority = LOUDEST

Group B- 33,000 Boaters = Capability of reading = following simple rules = enjoy boating.

Anyone who thinks C&RT will stop Mr & Mrs Shinyboat from leaving there lovely mooring or marina on a Friday to tootle about over the weekend & then returning back to their lovely mooring or Marina on a Sunday afternoon needs a check up from the neck up.

It would be instant commercial suicide.

Now C&RT are not perfect but the lord's sake, this aint difficult to grasp is it?

Anyway, Maffi has lost his keys. Now that's an importnat thread, not the 'Dunk's 'the world hates me thread'.

What a sad unpleasant person you are. I don't recall reading any post from you that's either helpful or contributes in any way other than being rude and obnoxious. Are you suffering withdraws symptoms possibly?

She is a bit pretentious isn't she

I call a spade a spade and (quote), " I like to avoid "loud and aggressive persons, for they are a vexation to the spirit" like the amusingly mis-named 'Proper Job' above"

clapping.gif

Surely foreground is the opposite of background, although it does get in the way of your pune

Richard

Blame MtB, he started it Sir.

Peter X, thank you for that. But what was it called in the many years before "back story" came into common parlance? The story so far? The background?

Group A- Piss takers = very small minority = LOUDEST

Group B- 33,000 Boaters = Capability of reading = following simple rules = enjoy boating.

Anyone who thinks C&RT will stop Mr & Mrs Shinyboat from leaving there lovely mooring or marina on a Friday to tootle about over the weekend & then returning back to their lovely mooring or Marina on a Sunday afternoon needs a check up from the neck up.

It would be instant commercial suicide.

Now C&RT are not perfect but the lord's sake, this aint difficult to grasp is it?

Anyway, Maffi has lost his keys. Now that's an importnat thread, not the 'Dunk's 'the world hates me thread'.

The trouble is, people like are Tony D put out diatribe that was his original post and normal people get upset because they don't want to break any rules (even if there is none to be broken)

All because of miss-information spread by muppets like him

..................... oh dear, I'll probably get a dressing down from EmmaB again rolleyes.gif