Where have I gone wrong? An introduction

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Greetings to you all. My name is Tony. I have just (I hope) sold my house and intend to buy a narrowboat to live on.

I've done a lot of research, both on this excellent forum and with various books etc and have a fair idea of what I'm looking for, but it would be a great help to me if you would rip my ideas to pieces and generally put me right. Deep breath and here goes:

Trad stern with standard layout (rear bedroom forward saloon) Length over 57 but less than 60 ft.(I was born in Mirfield and would like to be able to get down the Calder & Hebble without sinking or ripping the rudder off)

Diesel central heating + solid fuel stove.

Shower, rather than bath.

Windows rather than portholes.

Gas cooker

Pullman Dinette.

42hp (ish) engine for UK and maybe French rivers.

These are just the main features and there's still a lot to think about, but how am I doing so far?

Now......about these toilets????????????????

Cheers,

T. cool.png

Your shortlist is fine, the only two things worth mentioning are:

1) Diesel central heating - nice to have, but will limit the number of boats you find which meets this requirement. At a guess, maybe 10% of boats have it???

2) Trad stern - I guess you've chosen rear engine as in no boatman's cabin then engine room, instead having the engine at the back, boarded over, then a continuous living space.

1) Diesel central heating - nice to have, but will limit the number of boats you find which meets this requirement. At a guess, maybe 10% of boats have it???

2) Trad stern - I guess you've chosen rear engine as in no boatman's cabin then engine room, instead having the engine at the back, boarded over, then a continuous living space.

Hi Paul.

Re. 2) Yes, that's right. No Boatman's, Rear, Aft or any other cabin.

I would love one in principle, they look really cosy (for 1 or possibly 2 people) but the engine room would take up quite a bit of space and I would probably end up spending all my time in there wielding spanners and brasso rather than cruising. I just love those vintage engines.wub.png

Cheers,

T.

Toilets ohmy.png I'm going to mind my own business. mellow.png

OK. I really wasn't going to bring this up, but I've got to. unsure.png

I have read all the threads and have a fair understanding of the pros and cons. Both arguments have merit...and, unfortunately, IMHO the scales are about even.

I don't want to call my boat Lautreclaugh.png , but I would like to have both options. Is there a small,free standing cassette type toilet that can be stashed away somewhere until needed, like when hell (or at least the canal) freezes over?

I understand that this question will probably raise hackles right and left and I may never be allowed to post again, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers,

T.

OK. I really wasn't going to bring this up, but I've got to. unsure.png

I have read all the threads and have a fair understanding of the pros and cons. Both arguments have merit...and, unfortunately, IMHO the scales are about even.

I don't want to call my boat Lautreclaugh.png , but I would like to have both options. Is there a small,free standing cassette type toilet that can be stashed away somewhere until needed, like when hell (or at least the canal) freezes over?

I understand that this question will probably raise hackles right and left and I may never be allowed to post again, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers,

T.

Porta potti there is also a cheapo version available in camping shops but it has a very small capacity

Yes - as above the porta potti. Regarding toilets, the pump-out loo has the advantage that you can use a porta-potti as a backup which is completely independent. A cassette loo user doesn't have the same kind of backup option.

Thanks John V & Bizzard. I'll check it out.

I think I got off quite lightly with that one.

Cheers,

T.

Yes - as above the porta potti. Regarding toilets, the pump-out loo has the advantage that you can use a porta-potti as a backup which is completely independent. A cassette loo user doesn't have the same kind of backup option.

Hi Paul C. That's what I had in mind.

I'm by no means squeamish, but I like to stay as far away as possible from, shall we say, toilet waste. That said, I don't want to be ruled by the availability or otherwise of pump out facilities.

I appreciate the guidance that everyone has offered.

Cheers,

T.

More like 75% have Eberspacher/Webasto/Mikuni diesel ch systems, Paul. Certainly in the £35k upwards used market.

What about a bowthruster? Can we have a couple of pages of fiery ranting over those as well?