HRW2 starter motor failure

MtB

Featured Posts

Hmmm thanks for that description. This is, actually, exactly how mine is wired up. I used all back cables (but the electricity doesn't seem to mind).

I take it you mean 'negative' by 'earth and 'positive' by 'live'? I did wonder if reversed polarity would prevent it running....

MtB

I'm pretty sure that polarity shouldn't matter, as regards whether it runs or not.

There would have to be diodes or permanent magnets inside for that to make a difference, & I'm 99% sure there are neither.

Tim

• 4 years later...

Your CA 45 starter is a complex beast for the inexperienced..........generally,if the starter engages ,then turns slowly,its the internal switching.......there an initial circuit running thru a resistance strip,and when the pinion engages a trigger releases the secondary contacts for full current................if the starter is "weak" this is usually where the fault lies..............might just be dirty secondary contacts,or burnt.,or the trigger may not be working................these starters are made more complex by a series of locking balls that lock the pinion sleeve  to the armature shaft during rotation.............................A simple cure................buy one of the little geared starters that sell for around $300 (in Oz)

A test we used to apply......................hook up the starter to a battery,hold tight,put you foot on the pinion(boot,of course),and power the solenoid terminal..................the starter should whiz around and rip the sole off your boot ..........if it just rotates ,it needs pulling to bits........................another tip.............if you take the band off,you can clean or file the secondary contact.................the CA 45 is a good starter,but doesnt take to long term storage.

Whilst the above may be useful to someone in a similar siltation, the posts being replied to are four and a half years old.

I think Mike resold that engine quite a long while back.

Edited by alan_fincher