River Trent navigation charts.

tosher

Featured Posts

When it comes to ANY issue involving safety, be it equipment or your actions, just ask yourself the following question --- If there were to be an accident and some one lost their life what would you tell the Coroner !!!!!!!!

When it comes to ANY issue involving safety, be it equipment or your actions, just ask yourself the following question --- If there were to be an accident and some one lost their life what would you tell the Coroner !!!!!!!!

Boston docks was one case last year where a narrowboat was very nearly wiped out by a cargo vessel in the river as they didnt have VHF and didnt understand what the vessel was going to do. If you are going to go out on commercial waterways you need VHF for not just your own safety but that of those around you.

"Mr Coroner - the skipper of the big-boat hadnt telephoned me to tell me his plans so how was I supposed to know he was going to cross in front of us and slice into us, and because we didnt have life-jackets we got swept alongside and under the big-boat.........."

I agree, a proper anchor is a must and I was surprised that Jameswoolcock did not include that in his list.

I can appreciate that VHF radio is a very useful bit of kit in these circumstances but not everyone has it or knows how to use it proeperly. It is not an inexpensive thing to set yourself up with properly either.

As I have mentioned before. I originally did the tidal Trent on a hire boat. They hire company knew our plans and were happy for us to take the boat on The Trent without VHF. I would imagine if VHF were considered "a must" then that would not have been the case?

We will not have VHF when we venture on it next week. I am sure there are a good many narrowboats use that route without it.

Anchor? Oh yes.

Grovelling apologies for omitting an anchor, but then I have always had one on board, not just for the tidal Trent, and perhaps wrongly assume that most boats do. Brain fade then. You should have one ready for any river or other waterway with a reasonable flow.

The other items I listed are not always carried.

All rivers can be hazardous but the tidal Trent is especially when compared most other waterways most boats will travel.

Sorry

James

Whatever happened to risk...please come back, it was fun.,,,

You takes risks all you like just dont put others in danger by doing so. That includes the emergency services who have to spend their time picking up the pieces when things go wrong. mad.gif

You really don't give up do you? It's the lockie who said it was fine to use mobiles! At the end of the day he wouldn't let us through if he wasn't satisfied....And who exactly are "the rest of us"?

I tell you what's dangerous...it's someone with a boat very similar to yours (approaching at high speed) cutting across at least 2 narrow boats at the last minute on the Trent a couple of weeks ago and passing on the wrong side for a laugh (bearing in mind how wide the Trent is in the flood). I know it's not you going on photographs but it perhaps highlights an attitude problem between certain classes of boaters. Fortunately most of the "rest of us" (all classes of boaters included) aren't up our arse and get on with each other....

It isnt up to the lockie to enforce the byelaws.

If you had been in an accident what would your course of action have been?

The boat cutting in front of you obviously wasnt dangerous enough as you are still here to bleat the tale.

Anchor? Oh yes.

Grovelling apologies for omitting an anchor, but then I have always had one on board, not just for the tidal Trent, and perhaps wrongly assume that most boats do. Brain fade then. You should have one ready for any river or other waterway with a reasonable flow.

The other items I listed are not always carried.

All rivers can be hazardous but the tidal Trent is especially when compared most other waterways most boats will travel.

Sorry

James

Apparently not all you need is a mobile phone rolleyes.gif

It's already been established that there is no requirement to use VHF on that part of the tidal Trent (although it's a good idea) so you are just running around in circles because you can't admit you are wrong.

Edited to answer your question :

What would my course of action be if I had an accident?

Answer : I (or others on board) would have used a mobile phone.

If the boat was sinking I doubt I'd have time to use a VHF radio unless it was a hand held device (probably a better option for smaller boats). Of course then's the question, what do you do if you end up in the water and everything is flooded? Maybe carry flares, but I doubt anyone would see them if the lockies are inside.

Edited by bassplayer

It's already been established that there is no requirement to use VHF on that part of the tidal Trent (although it's a good idea) so you are just running around in circles because you can't admit you are wrong.

Edited to answer your question :

What would my course of action be if I had an accident?

Answer : I (or others on board) would have used a mobile phone.

If the boat was sinking I doubt I'd have time to use a VHF radio unless it was a hand held device (probably a better option for smaller boats). Of course then's the question, what do you do if you end up in the water and everything is flooded? Maybe carry flares, but I doubt anyone would see them if the lockies are inside.

It hasn't been established at all. Where have you got that from?

It may not be a requirement on CRT waterways but below Gainsborough it isn't CRT waters its ABP and I suggest you read their byelaws!

You didn't check your mobile phone coverage along the way did you? There are many sections on the Trent where there is no phone reception :)

What then?

Any more excuses for not having the relevant safety equipment?

It hasn't been established at all. Where have you got that from?

It may not be a requirement on CRT waterways but below Gainsborough it isn't CRT waters its ABP and I suggest you read their byelaws!

You didn't check your mobile phone coverage along the way did you? There are many sections on the Trent where there is no phone reception :)

What then?

Any more excuses for not having the relevant safety equipment?

I don't need any excuses because I was carrying the relevant safety equipment for where I was. If only you'd read things properly before jumping to false conclusions all of the time...

I admire your enthusiasm for safety but establish the facts first...