River Trent navigation charts.

tosher

Featured Posts

No!

Perhaps people should comply with the byelaws of the waterways they are navigating.

Buying a VHF set and getting the operators licence is a very small cost when compared to other boat ownership costs.

Buy a £50k boat yet quibble over £250!

That is an interesting point NC. I really do not know the bylaws of The Trent and although, reading this thread, I realise that perhaps I ought to find out about them any time about now. Am I correct to I take it from your comment that your are supposed to use VHF by law when navigating The Trent?

If that is the case then I am very surprised that lock keepers are allowing boats out onto that section if they do not have the equipment that they are legally obliged to have (and be licensed to operate) While I agree it is probably very useful to have VHF no one has ever suggested to me that you have to have it to be legal on the river and certainly I know a lot of people who travel that section quite regulalry who do not have radios.

£250 may not be a lot of money compared to a £50K boat but if people are only planning to use the river once in a blue moon it is a lot of outlay for very little use

If you've got a £50k boat, I take it you can afford it then...

While you experts are here, what would be a a good HF aerial for a 58ft narrow boat? Was thinking of a suitable length wire down the length if the boat (raised at one end) and using the boat as the ground plane. Sorry to be a bit off topic...

As ab ex Royal Signals HF operator I love the question. It depends on anticipated transmit direction, frequency and angle of leaving antenna.

Droopy dipole to a centram high ooint woukd give good radiation at rt angles to dipole alignment. We also used elevated discone antenna at freqs around 31 mhz.

VHF is not a legal requirement (unlike navigation lights - but that is not enforced) but it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED - you can pick up an elderly - working - Marine VHF on ebay for around £25, (they wont be thr prettyest, or smallest but they will do the job, you will then need an aerial £20 ish (I used a 2m Ham mag mount cut down to the correct length) - alternatively a new 'hand-held' for under £100.

If nothing else - calling up the lockie and saying '10 minutes out, could you have the lock ready for us' and on arrival the gates swing open and you go straight in - is a useful assest and saves mooring up and waiting.

Thanks for all the useful tips and advice given it is very helpful and duly noted.cheers.gif .

Reading the posts regarding tidal waves, lack of moorings, river clogged up with weed, VHF radio, regulations and by laws I have changed my plans. I have decided to go over Niagra Falls in a barrel, much more simple and far cheaper. fatigue.gif

• Greenie 1

If you've got a £50k boat, I take it you can afford it then...

While you experts are here, what would be a a good HF aerial for a 58ft narrow boat? Was thinking of a suitable length wire down the length if the boat (raised at one end) and using the boat as the ground plane. Sorry to be a bit off topic...

You can buy a handheld unit for £50 and the operators course is circa £100.

So you are happy to put other peoples safety at risk because you dont want to spend £150 to get the relevant safety equipment?

Would you be happy to be moored next to a boat with no BSC where the owner had done all the modfification himself to no standards purely because he didnt want to pay for the test?

VHF is not a legal requirement (unlike navigation lights - but that is not enforced) but it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED - you can pick up an elderly - working - Marine VHF on ebay for around £25, (they wont be thr prettyest, or smallest but they will do the job, you will then need an aerial £20 ish (I used a 2m Ham mag mount cut down to the correct length) - alternatively a new 'hand-held' for under £100.

If nothing else - calling up the lockie and saying '10 minutes out, could you have the lock ready for us' and on arrival the gates swing open and you go straight in - is a useful assest and saves mooring up and waiting.

That very much depends where you are cruising. It may not be a requirement on CRT waterways but it is on ABP waterways which include the Trent below Gainsborough.

There is still a degree of commercial traffic on the lower reaches of the Trent. The vessels give out their location on the relevant channel at various pinch points along the river. How do you expect them to tell you of their intentions if you are not on VHF (Not aimed at you specifically Alan!) Unless you have given every vessel on the river at that time your mobile number how do you expect to keep in contact.

If you cant be arsed to follow the guidlines which are there for everyones safety then stick to the canals. It is the actions of the minority which will eventually ruin it for everyone else.

Boston docks was one case last year where a narrowboat was very nearly wiped out by a cargo vessel in the river as they didnt have VHF and didnt understand what the vessel was going to do. If you are going to go out on commercial waterways you need VHF for not just your own safety but that of those around you.

What if you get into trouble and have no VHF and no phone reception?

• Greenie 2

Too late for us to get VHF sorted for this trip but I agree it could prove useful NC and I will look into setting ourselves up with an inexpensive second had set up before we start exploring the area. It won't be until next year we even start to think about it though.

We have borrowed an anchor and life jackets for this trip as we had not planned to do it until July then had a sudden change of plan last weekend meaning I did not have time or spare cash to go out and buy it all at once but we will be hunting for the best value on all these things ready for next year so we can explore the area without being reliant on borrowing things or being under-equipped in any way

So you are happy to put other peoples safety at risk because you dont want to spend £150 to get the relevant safety equipment?

I've already got a 2m rig with the marine frequencies and I never said I wouldn't do the operators licence....so what's your problem?

Would you be happy to be moored next to a boat with no BSC where the owner had done all the modfification himself to no standards purely because he didnt want to pay for the test?

That very much depends where you are cruising. It may not be a requirement on CRT waterways but it is on ABP waterways which include the Trent below Gainsborough.

There is still a degree of commercial traffic on the lower reaches of the Trent. The vessels give out their location on the relevant channel at various pinch points along the river. How do you expect them to tell you of their intentions if you are not on VHF (Not aimed at you specifically Alan!) Unless you have given every vessel on the river at that time your mobile number how do you expect to keep in contact.

If you cant be arsed to follow the guidlines which are there for everyones safety then stick to the canals. It is the actions of the minority which will eventually ruin it for everyone else.

Boston docks was one case last year where a narrowboat was very nearly wiped out by a cargo vessel in the river as they didnt have VHF and didnt understand what the vessel was going to do. If you are going to go out on commercial waterways you need VHF for not just your own safety but that of those around you.

What if you get into trouble and have no VHF and no phone reception?

99% agree - have a boogie

Probably incorectly - and subject to misunderstanding - I was refering to the subject of this thread and other sub- subjects, but as it was about the Trent (Nottingham to Torksey), the Foss Dyke and the Witham the fact that VHF is not mandatory was correct.

Even when we are in the marina the VHF is on - its surprising what you pick-up.

Chehire Rose - (probably shouldnt say this) just buy a hand-held and listen - in the event of an emergency no one is going to ask for a copy of your licence before responding,

You dont need a licence to listen.

In the event of an emergency / problem / breakdown the liklehood of any action being taken as a result of not having the 'bit of paper' is totally remote - and anyway - saving your boat &/or life would surely take precedence.

Better to have it and not use it, than to need it and not have it !!

Buy one off ebay TODAY - you'll have it in a couple of days.

• Greenie 1

You dont need a licence to listen.

In the event of an emergency / problem / breakdown the liklehood of any action being taken as a result of not having the 'bit of paper' is totally remote - and anyway - saving your boat &/or life would surely take precedence.

I'm pretty sure that the regs allow for use by unqualified persons in emergency situations. It would be rather daft if they didn't.

Tim

I'm pretty sure that the regs allow for use by unqualified persons in emergency situations. It would be rather daft if they didn't.

Tim

Having just done the course, I can confirm that. In an emergency anyone can transmit.

I would second, buy a cheap hand held off ebay and just listen.

Having just done the course, I can confirm that. In an emergency anyone can transmit.

I would second, buy a cheap hand held off ebay and just listen.

Apart from anything else, listening gives a better feel for 'real world' procedures than can any course.

Tim

Apart from anything else, listening gives a better feel for 'real world' procedures than can any course.

Tim

Listening will also highlight just how useful a tool VHF is and how many people you can address with one broadcast.

Listening will also highlight just how useful a tool VHF is and how many people you can address with one broadcast.

Once my VHF aerial arrives I'll be doing just that with my transceiver...listening is a good way to learn...bit like reading the thread properly before making comments...

Once my VHF aerial arrives I'll be doing just that with my transceiver...listening is a good way to learn...bit like reading the thread properly before making comments...

I did.

Perhaps you ought to go back and read your own comments.

Its a good way to learn, a bit like thinking about what you have written before making comments.

I did.

Perhaps you ought to go back and read your own comments.

Its a good way to learn, a bit like thinking about what you have written before making comments.

For example you said "So you are happy to put other peoples safety at risk because you dont want to spend £150 to get the relevant safety equipment?"

Where did I say I was happy to put others people at risk? In fact earlier I agreed it seemed safer to use VHF than mobile phones.

Where did I say I haven't got a VHF receiver? Why would I be asking these questions if In didn't want to use VHF....Jeez!!! Get a life...

For example you said "So you are happy to put other peoples safety at risk because you dont want to spend £150 to get the relevant safety equipment?"

Where did I say I was happy to put others people at risk? In fact earlier I agreed it seemed safer to use VHF than mobile phones.

Where did I say I haven't got a VHF receiver? Why would I be asking these questions if In didn't want to use VHF....Jeez!!! Get a life...

"The lockie at Keadby was quite happy about us using a mobile phone. Not sure if you need a licence to operate VHF in this country."

"the irony is that most of those less experienced in boating will probably end up having to use a mobile phone. Perhaps they should make certain channels licence free to improve safety."

"I think you'll find many people compromise safety because they don't have much money."

"If you've got a £50k boat, I take it you can afford it then..."

You seem to have gone from being the person who didnt know they needed a licence to use their VHF to the resident expert within the space of a few hours. Which is it?

Oh and I have a life thanks.

I'm glad you finally read the thread properly then... I'm no expert, that's why I've been asking questions and reading the answers...as I asked earlier...what's your problem? BTW, you haven't answered the questions in my last post either?

My problem is people not understanding just how important it is to have VHF and the necessary skills and paperwork to use it on commercial waterways.

As I said previously it is for the safety of everyone sharing the waterways with you.

You seemed unaware of this and were seemingly happy using your mobile phone and for others to do so. It was pointed out the flaws in this thinking which you seem to dislike.

You would have thought that having done all the 'learning' necessary to book his RAE that he would have an inkling as to what was involved in using a radio (licence and other questions included)

I'm hoping to pass my amateur radio exam soon and was wondering what aerial set-up would work best for HF and 2 meters on a 58ft narrow boat.

Thanks John for your reply regarding the Windom setup for HF. Would that be better than just connecting the ground to the boat (ground plane) and running the centre all the way down the boat?

Maybe he is just an attention seeker and neeeds to be involved, looks at peoples questions, does a quick google search and comes back with the experts answers.

Agreeing with NC

"the irony is that most of those less experienced in boating will probably end up having to use a mobile phone".

I dont follow your thinking that if you dont have much boating experience you wont use a VHF ?

As I said, having asked the questions, I agree VHF is important for the reasons a lockie pointed out earlier. I used my mobile phone because that was the only option I had at the time. The lockies at Keadby and West Stockwith told me this was Ok. I'm guessing the majority of narrow boats entering the tidal Trent don't have VHF or/and a licence (but could be wrong).

You are right to push for safety but it doesn't help educate people when someone pushes words in your mouth.

As I said, having asked the questions, I agree VHF is important for the reasons a lockie pointed out earlier. I used my mobile phone because that was the only option I had at the time. The lockies at Keadby and West Stockwith told me this was Ok. I'm guessing the majority of narrow boats entering the tidal Trent don't have VHF or/and a licence (but could be wrong).

You are right to push for safety but it doesn't help educate people when someone pushes words in your mouth.

Neither does implying that the use of a mobile is "fine" when quite clearly it doesn't comply with the byelaws for that waterway.

It is people thinking that the rules don't apply to them and trying to wing it that is jeopardising the use of these commercial waterways for the rest of us.

Neither does implying that the use of a mobile is "fine" when quite clearly it doesn't comply with the byelaws for that waterway.

It is people thinking that the rules don't apply to them and trying to wing it that is jeopardising the use of these commercial waterways for the rest of us.

You really don't give up do you? It's the lockie who said it was fine to use mobiles! At the end of the day he wouldn't let us through if he wasn't satisfied....And who exactly are "the rest of us"?

I tell you what's dangerous...it's someone with a boat very similar to yours (approaching at high speed) cutting across at least 2 narrow boats at the last minute on the Trent a couple of weeks ago and passing on the wrong side for a laugh (bearing in mind how wide the Trent is in the flood). I know it's not you going on photographs but it perhaps highlights an attitude problem between certain classes of boaters. Fortunately most of the "rest of us" (all classes of boaters included) aren't up our arse and get on with each other....

You would have thought that having done all the 'learning' necessary to book his RAE that he would have an inkling as to what was involved in using a radio (licence and other questions included)

Maybe he is just an attention seeker and neeeds to be involved, looks at peoples questions, does a quick google search and comes back with the experts answers.

Agreeing with NC

"the irony is that most of those less experienced in boating will probably end up having to use a mobile phone". [/size]

I dont follow your thinking that if you dont have much boating experience you wont use a VHF ?[/size]

I'm not biting Alan but I never said I'd done the 'learning' necessary to pass the RAE that's why I've been asking stuff on here...maybe I'm beginning to regret it now...let's try Google...