oil grade and capacity

Featured Posts

I use Morris Golden Film SAE 30 Classic. It usually only takes about 1.5 gallons before hitting the upper mark on the dip stick (after starting engine to fill up oil filter). Maybe the hand oil extraction pump doesn't draw out all of the old oil from the sump on my boat.

It would be interesting to know what oil change intervals you guys with a DM2 go for? I usually change the oil and filters between 250-300 hours.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Not sure if you have a filter (with a replaceable cartridge) on your engine, I have a Gardner which recommends Sae30 and I am looking to replace this with Morris's Golden Film classic Marine 10W40, which has advantages over a straight Sae30.

Classic Oils in Aylesbury (01296 488 154) were very helpful.

Some useful info on recent post Sae30 or what......

L

I use Morris Golden Film SAE 30 Classic. It usually only takes about 1.5 gallons before hitting the upper mark on the dip stick (after starting engine to fill up oil filter). Maybe the hand oil extraction pump doesn't draw out all of the old oil from the sump on my boat.

It would be interesting to know what oil change intervals you guys with a DM2 go for? I usually change the oil and filters between 250-300 hours.

The National DM2 Handbook recommends oil change every 550 hours. Morris SAE 30 is good in warm weather but be ready to swear at it if hand-start only.

The National DM2 Handbook recommends oil change every 550 hours. Morris SAE 30 is good in warm weather but be ready to swear at it if hand-start only.

The version I have says 450 hours.

I used to have another version which had two figures, one for non-detergent oils and the other for detergent oils, with appropriate dire warnings about swapping between the two.

What they regarded as detergent oils would be nowadays described as low detergency, or even non-detergent (API grades CB or CC).

Tim

I met a guy last year with a classic engine who seriously believed that changing oil was a waste of time and money. I wonder if his engine is still going? Perhaps he had a major oil leak and tops it up with fresh oil every day.

Out of curiosity though, how often do you actually change it on yours? The quoted 550 hours seems quite high but then again it's more important to change oil more regularly on diesel engines with a turbo.

Actually old engine oil is an excellent super slippery lubricant, its the dissolved carbon in it, sort of molybdium disulphide, but only IF you could get rid of the impurities in it like metal particles, moisture, harmful acids.

Actually old engine oil is an excellent super slippery lubricant, its the dissolved carbon in it, sort of molybdium disulphide, but only IF you could get rid of the impurities in it like metal particles, moisture, harmful acids.

...so does that mean, if you had the right kind of filter, you wouldn't need to change the oil? Could be an opportunity there...

Out of curiosity though, how often do you actually change it on yours? The quoted 550 hours seems quite high but then again it's more important to change oil more regularly on diesel engines with a turbo.

What difference does the turbo make? I didn't think the engine oil got anywhere near the turbo as it's driven by exhaust gases.

I'm no expert, merely curious.

What difference does the turbo make? I didn't think the engine oil got anywhere near the turbo as it's driven by exhaust gases.

Tis what keep the bearings from going caput.

In the turbo diesel car I had (I don't know if others are the same) but the "bearing" was actually provided by the flow of oil.

You are right that a Turbo is generally driven by the exhaust gases. It runs at very high speeds, maybe 15k RPM and very high temperatures. It needs a very good supply of oil for its bearings. The oil supply in most cars comes from the engine and therefore the oil is working harder than in a non turbo engine. A lot of turbos fail on cars because the engine is switched off before the turbo has slowed right down, it is starved of oil when the oil pressure fall to zero. Always allow a turbo engine to idle for a couple of minutes before switching off. Oil for a turbo engine will have a higher specification to cope with the higher duty.