Nmenonic for channel markers

starman

Featured Posts

Anyone got a good nmenonic for remembering the red and green channel marking buoys when going up or downstream?

In my senility I keep confusing myself which is not ideal when encountering a marker buoy on a swift river!

Anyone got a good nmenonic for remembering the red and green channel marking buoys when going up or downstream?

In my senility I keep confusing myself which is not ideal when encountering a marker buoy on a swift river!

There's a little red port left in the bottle.

Don't forget to reverse this when going downstream or you may end up on the putty.

only TWO CANS of RED PORT LEFT

TWO blasts on horn = I turn to port (left)

Port hand bouys are CAN shaped ( starbord bouys are conical)

PORT is RED

PORT is LEFT

this should be read as though you are entering a port or going upstream, remember to reverse the handing when going down stream or leaving port.

hope this is of some use

Old Al

Edited by Old Al

Assuming you are comfortable with Port and Starboard, just remember that Port wine is Red.

If necessary also remember that Port and Left both have 4 letters, but Green and Right both have 5 letters.

Finally to remember upstream or downstream, in Europe remember that the buoyage is there for the benefit of those who don't know the river, ie those coming in from the sea, travelling upstream.

Assuming you are comfortable with Port and Starboard, just remember that Port wine is Red.

If necessary also remember that Port and Left both have 4 letters, but Green and Right both have 5 letters.

That's the Swallows and Amazons method, I think

Richard

Finally to remember upstream or downstream, in Europe remember that the buoyage is there for the benefit of those who don't know the river, ie those coming in from the sea, travelling upstream.

So far Allan has been very kind and not mentioned my efforts when at the tiller of "Keeping Up" on the tidal Thames.

.................... I thought I'd get in first this time ! :lol:

Yeah but.....

do you keep the port marker on your left ot do you pass to the left of the port marker?

Yeah but.....

do you keep the port marker on your left ot do you pass to the left of the port marker?

Keep it on your left when inward from the sea or on your right when outward towards the sea..

Somebody told me the USA aren't interested in strangers coming in so they use the opposite convention - can anyone confirm that?

We saw a very interesting collection of marker buoys when we had a holiday on the Volga and the Volga-Don Canal, particularly those marking the deep passage across the lakes. It took me quite a while to work out what some of the conventions were.

Russ110704r.jpg

Somebody told me the USA aren't interested in strangers coming in so they use the opposite convention - can anyone confirm that?

Russ110704r.jpg

Re the USA, Yes, I can confirm that their buoyage system is the opposite way round to the Uniform System of buoyage used by most other countries, which can be confusing if you're not expecting it!

Howard