low carbohydrate recipes

Ally

Featured Posts

Swineherds pie.

Pack of minced pork

Chopped chorizo

Half a chopped onion

Couple of TBS passatta

Herbs and spices to your taste, I used paprika, garlic, cayenne and mixed herbs.

Cauliflower

Butter

Grated cheese.

Cook up the cauliflower, drain and mash with butter, cheese and pepper.

Meanwhile cook up all the rest and preheat oven gas mark 6.

Place meat mix in oven proof dish, top with the cauliflower mash, add extra cheese on top and I sprinkled with paprika too. Cook in oven about 20 mins. Good with green salad or green beans etc

I had never thought of using mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potato. Excellent idea cheers.gif

Would there be much difference between a gluten free and a low carb diet?

paul

As I understand it, gluten free is mainly wheat, barley and rye free? Similar there then, but low carb also cuts out sugars, beans and peas and high carb fruit/veg, along with grains.

As I understand it, gluten free is mainly wheat, barley and rye free? Similar there then, but low carb also cuts out sugars, beans and peas and high carb fruit/veg, along with grains.

Thats pretty close. Gluten is in many/most cereals but not in rice or potatoes. Rye is OK too.

So gluten-free does not mean low carb!

I am on low sugar, seems to be working. There was a very good article "Sugar on trial" in New Scientist earlier this year. Basically added sugar in processed food is the killer. Fruit sugar seems to be OK.

Lurk by the bins over the flats and catch a big fat rat.

Carry it into the kitchen while somebody else is cooking their tea.

Rip it open and hook the guts out , sling them to the side , someone else will spot them and abandon their food to get them.

While they are busy scooping up the rat guts pinch the steak off their plate and exit smartly through the cat flap.

Leave dead rat in exchange, it's fresh and free range after all allthough probably not organic.

Looks good. I'm looking forward to easing into the odd sweet potato.

Cooked a load of chicken pieces at the weekend, for chicken salads, got bored of those, so tonight's twist, served in a pasta bowl lined with romaine:

Cooked chicken, torn in bits

Shredded white cabbage

Chunky chopped cucumber

Black olives

Chopped garlic

Chopped jalapeño slices

A little red onion

Grated cheese

Mayo

Pepper

Mixed it all up, put onto the lettuce in the bowl, ate!

Left over will be wrapped in a large romaine ettuce leaf tomorrow to take for lunch!

Veggie shepherds pie made with Quorn mince, onion, mushroom, courgette, chilli and gravy and topped with cauliflower mash and grated cheese.

Ok it was low carb but you might want to leave out the Yorkshire pudding and jersey royals!

B2012D86-CAC0-466B-9A4A-7BCBE40A3A76.jpg

So did you like cauliflower mash?

I NEEDED chips today, so I experimented with celariac cut like chips and fried. Didn't crisp up too well, but were very nice all the same....with vinegar...nom! Served with chicken and home made low carb cheesy coleslaw, loverly!!

Edited by Ally

I NEEDED chips today, so I experimented with celariac cut like chips and fried. Didn't crisp up too well, but were very nice all the same....with vinegar...non! Served with chicken and home made low carb cheesy coleslaw, loverly!!

I had roast celeriac with my roast dinner on Sunday instead of roast spuds.

They were like Parsnips but with a more delicate flavour.

I'm substituting rice, couscous and pasta with cauliflower rice and it works very well (chop up in the food processor then a couple of mins in the microwave)

Fruit sugar seems to be OK.

Fruit sugar is exactly the same chemical compound as "processed" sugar and is just as harmful.

The only advantage is that it is locked up behind cellulose cell walls that we can't digest but, bung it through a juicer and the sugars are released hence the new guidelines suggesting that we should limit the amount of fruit juice we drink and stick to vegetables and unprocessed fruit.

Carlt, have you tried cutting celariac into ribbons with a peeler? A short boil, and you have something to substitute pasta ribbons. Bolognaise style sauce or meatballs with it...not bad! Courgette ribbons aren't bad either as a carrier for meaty sauces.

Agree, cauliflower mash needs a good addition of butter, cheese, and pepper.

I have no processor or microwave on board... How could I still do cauliflower rice?

Talking of mince, I could live on taco salad....no taco included!!

Brown off beef mince, add spices to your taste, but head down the Mexican route, chilli, garlic, I like cumin, ginger, etc in it. Add beef stock and I like some lumps of chorizo in too. Cook for as long as you can, until well cooked, and fairly dry.

Now, pasta bowl of green salad..lettuce, cucumber chunks, celery, touch of red onion. Dress it if you wish, pile the meat on top, chopped jalapeño if desired, lots of grated cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Munch!

So did you like cauliflower mash?

I NEEDED chips today, so I experimented with celariac cut like chips and fried. Didn't crisp up too well, but were very nice all the same....with vinegar...nom! Served with chicken and home made low carb cheesy coleslaw, loverly!!

Had sweet potato chips at the pub the other day - they were yummy

Had sweet potato chips at the pub the other day - they were yummy

They are indeed.

Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges (leave the skin on but cut off any ugly bits), toss in a little oil in a bowl, season well with pepper and smoked paprika and then bake in the oven for half an hour.

Lovely. In fact I might make some with tonights papaya chicken cheers.gif

Made tuna cakes tonight.

Can of tuna, drained

Bit of chopped red onion

1oz cream cheese, full fat

1 egg

Handful of pork scratchings, ground down with a rolling pin.

Any herbs etc you fancy.

Mix it all up, form into burger/pattie shapes, and shallow fry in butter and olive oil, medium to high heat, turn when one side is golden, cook other side the same...I served with homemade tartare sauce (Mayo, lemon juice, chopped capers and gherkins) and salad.

Cheap, quick, tasty.

Last nights dinner was good!

Chicken breast, stuffed with chopped chorizo and cheese, wrapped in 2 pieces of bacon and oven cooked for about 45mins.

Served it with green beans and mushrooms, pan fried in butter, also with left over chorizo thrown in, then a splash of double cream and grated cheese added to make a sauce.

Mmmmmmmmm

So, when I was at crick show, I bought a tenners worth of air dried sausage, mixed types, from the German salami stall. Using it up in various ways, as is, mixed into scrambled egg, added to other meat dishes....I still have loads left, so...today whilst the oven was heating up for something else, I made crisps! Thinly sliced assorted salami/pepperoni/chorizo, single layer on a baking sheet, into the oven top shelf for maybe 10-15mins, drain on kitchen paper and leave to go cold. The longer I left them the crisper they were. Good munchies, good with dips!

Last nights dinner was good!

Chicken breast, stuffed with chopped chorizo and cheese, wrapped in 2 pieces of bacon and oven cooked for about 45mins.

Served it with green beans and mushrooms, pan fried in butter, also with left over chorizo thrown in, then a splash of double cream and grated cheese added to make a sauce.

Mmmmmmmmm

We had something very similar for dinner tonight. Chicken breast stuffed with smoked applewood cheese wrapped in treacle dry cure bacon.

It was delicious. We did have loaded potatoes though so not truly low carb!

B7C8429F-B3B7-46FD-BC69-AC6E0E27DD3F.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

• 2 weeks later...

New try out this evening.

On the bone pork chop.

1 egg

Pork scratchings, crushed to be like breadcrumbs

Grated parmesan cheese

Herbs of your choice, I used mixed herbs plus parsley

Garlic powder

Mix everything except meat and egg.

Coat meat in beaten egg.

Put scratchings mix on a plate and thoroughly coat egged chop.

Place on hot baking tray in middle of oven about mark 6 for around 45 mins depending on meat size.

Turn about 2/3 of the way through the time.

I served with buttery cabbage, but whatever takes your fancy.

A bit of mustard powder in the crust mix might work well. (Probably instead of garlic powder)

So, when I was at crick show, I bought a tenners worth of air dried sausage, mixed types, from the German salami stall. Using it up in various ways, as is, mixed into scrambled egg, added to other meat dishes....I still have loads left, so...today whilst the oven was heating up for something else, I made crisps! Thinly sliced assorted salami/pepperoni/chorizo, single layer on a baking sheet, into the oven top shelf for maybe 10-15mins, drain on kitchen paper and leave to go cold. The longer I left them the crisper they were. Good munchies, good with dips!

Snap that salami is so good clapping.gif I have been on a low carb diet since christmas lost a stone and fell better for it. I dont miss that bloated feeling at all, also my blood pressure has dropped as well. I have salad every day it makes the shop girls smile when they see me shopping in comparison to other guys

Peter

820285"]Its a good way of eating I find. I never feel hard done to with it. Feel free to share any interesting recipes you try!

Thanks Ally, I'm trying low carb too and think the recipe thread is a good idea

I'll probably try this recipe this week.....I know it'll be fine cos of the feta/tom/turkey combo, but may try something else other than the flour to bind....or try leaving out altogether

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Sun-dried-Tomato-_-Feta-Meatballs-_Low-Carb-_-Gluten-Free_-483137

Cheers

Sas

Almond flour is OK on most low carb ways...just ground almonds works. Though the meatballs I make are just meat, seasoning and egg, and don't fall apart, so possibly OK without any 'flour'.

I eat meatballs with either shredded white cabbage or celariac ribbons instead of pasta.

Try the 'muffins' at the start of the thread, filling, easy, a good item to keep in the fridge for snacks,..if you can avoid eating them all when still warm!! :D