low carbohydrate recipes

Ally

Featured Posts

Try the 'muffins' at the start of the thread, filling, easy, a good item to keep in the fridge for snacks,..if you can avoid eating them all when still warm!! :D

Oh nooooo!!!!! NO muffins for me.....I've just put 2 lbs on reading the recipe!!

They are completely low carb, no carb just about, not real muffins, just shaped like them!

They are an absolutely perfect low carb food! In low carbing, fats (good ones) are your friend, you have to forget the low fat/calorie way of thinking.

Edited by Ally

• 3 months later...

What's the carb count on those noodles BSP? They just might work for low carbing. If I want noodles or whatever I usually end up ribbon cutting/peeling celariac or courgette, but those sound good!

There are SO MANY good low carb recipes here

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum7.html

For noodles, I like mung bean noodles. Low carb and lots of resistant starch (which doesn't count as carbs!!!)

Here's a store cupboard "I'm broke and hungry" meal that I discovered by mistake. I tried to make tuna fishcakes again but had no cream cheese, and it just wouldn't stick/bind together, so I added an extra egg and more scratching crumbs, piled the mix into a list tin and baked it for 40mins, mk 6. Eaten with salad or veg, did me for 2 nights. So, final ingredients:

1 drained can of tuna...normal size not the large taller ones.

2 beaten eggs...I actually just break them straight in.

1/2 to 1 standard pack scratchings, crumbed by smashing them with a rolling pin...use what you think to make the mix a bit dryer.

A little finely chopped onion

Seasonings, chilli/garlic/herbs/paprika/black pepper, all or any.

Mix it all up, chill for an hour if you have time, bung into a greased loaf tin, bake 40 mins Max at mk 6.

Beef noodle soup.

1/2lb minced beef, browned off

Some chopped onion

Chilli or hot sauce, a slash to taste

Garlic

Ground ginger, or fresh

Squirt of tomato puree

Anything else you want to add like soya sauce (I use aminos) etc...aiming for a spicy Thai/oriental type flavour

Oriental low carb noodles, I bought ones in a pack, in liquid, made from sweet potato, they come sort of knotted

Couple of pints or so of water.

Brown meat, add everything else except water and noodles, cook till combined well and onions are soft. Add water to soupy level,

Allow to blub on the stove.

Drain tube noodle bundles and add them to soup.

Blub longer.

The noodles, strangely, will not overcook and disintegrate.

Eat. Makes a very hearty whole meal kind of soup.

We are thinking about trying this low carb thing out.What kind of things do people go for at breakfast.suggestions please.There are come nice sounding recipes here but there does not seem to be much fish.So keep it coming folks.

I have a ham and cheese omelette or a kipper (or other smoked fish) with scrambled eggs.

If I'm in a hurry I will have a cereal called "Eat Natural with nuts and seeds" mixed with "Harvest Morn" (milled linseed with sesame blueberries and raspberries from Aldi)...less than 10g of carbs in a 30g serving but filling and really low GI.

Eggs, bacon, omelette, berries and nut flakes with coconut or almond milk, home made turhey sausage, breakfast muffins.. As given at the start of the thread, all make good breakfasts, I've even been known to have butternut squash soup with left over meatballs for breakfast!

Edited by Ally

Made some improved LC crackers for cheese etc today.

2 cups ground almonds (180g)

Stir in herbs/seasoning of choice

Add 1 egg white, 2 TBS water, 1 TBS olive oil

Form into a dough ball with your hands.

Chill an hour if you have time.

Roll out to about 1/8" thick , between greaseproof paper or on a greased silicone board, and cut into 2" squares.

Place on greased oven tray, grind some sea salt or pepper over.

Bake gas mark 5 for about 20mins till golden.

Eat with real butter/cheese/almond butter etc.

I also made my first LC "nearly paleo" lasagne today.

Make a good beef mince sauce: mince, onions, passatta, garlic, tom purree, herbs, Worcester sauce etc. Put a thin layer in your dish, top with very thinly cut slices of courgette and then mushroom, repeat. I then topped mine with some grated cheddar and blobs of garlic cream cheese...thus the ' nearly paleo' bit. Cover with foil, bake for 30 mins at gas 6, remove foil for a further 10minbs or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was surprised the courgette thing works!

• 1 year later...

Great recipe for low carb bread, possibly suit gluten free too, so long as the bicarb is gluten free. I make this all the time, it's quick, easy, and keeps in the bread bin for at least a week, just wrapped well in greaseproof. Stays moist too.

Paleo Herb Bread

1 ½ cups blanched almond flour

2 tablespoons coconut flour

2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal

2 tablespoons fresh herbs of choice (I used rosemary and thyme), chopped

¼ teaspoon sea salt

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

5 eggs

¼ cup coconut oil, melted

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Gas mark 5 oven. Grease a long loaf tin, and line and grease the base.

Mix dry ingredients. I do it all in a food processor. Beat eggs, add to dry whilst mixing, then add the melted coconut oil, then the vinegar, all whilst processing. Pour into loaf tin, bake till its golden brown, the crust will split slightly. Check with a skewer that should come out clean. About 30 mins give to take. Cool on a rack.

If using dried herbs, more like 2 teaspoons but to taste. Onion powder is good in it too.

post-6130-0-54990100-1446560355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ally

Ooh yes, cauliflower rice makes a decent egg fried rice with plenty of additions. I did it with left over roast pork, veggies, fish sauce, coconut aminos, ginger, chilli, eggs. Put the cauliflower rice in right at the end though

I thought you went vegetarian some time back

Whatever gave you that idea?

We tend to have a veggie night once a week. But we still eat meat.

We had sweet potato and Chick Pea curry tonight with caulirice, onion bhaji and veggie samosa.

Very nice.

Meat tomorrow though, slow cooked turkey casserole.

Whatever gave you that idea?

We tend to have a veggie night once a week. But we still eat meat.

We had sweet potato and Chick Pea curry tonight with caulirice, onion bhaji and veggie samosa.

Very nice.

Meat tomorrow though, slow cooked turkey casserole.

I thought you posted something a while back, I got it wrong obviously

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, just discovered low carb, though not paleo, bacon, sun dried tomato and cheese scones, tried them today and they are wonderful!

Ingredients

2 ½ cups almond flour

1/2 cup flax seed meal

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped

1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (I recommend Cabot White Oak Aged Cheddar)

2 large eggs

1/4 cup double cream

Instructions

Preheat oven to 325F (about gas 4) and line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, flax seed meal, baking powder and salt.

Stir in bacon, tomatoes and grated cheese.

Add eggs and cream and stir until dough comes together.

Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet and pat into a rough rectangle about 1 inch thick (it should be about 6 by 8 inches). With a sharp knife, cut into 6 even squares. Then cut each square diagonally into two triangles.

Gently lift scones and spread around baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown and just firm to the touch.

Let cool on baking tray for 10 mins at least.

I would personally not add the salt, there's enough in the cheese and bacon. If you're a carb counter, each triangular scone comes in at 3 carbs.

These really are good, as a snack, or to eat with soup or salad etc.