GRP cruiser or narrowboat ?

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

One difference is, that I understand that sea toilets are allowed to pump out directly into that river!

It is. I would like to think not many people actually do so though. 

The river great Pouse is much better suited for it. Which is why I stopped swimming in it. 

Lots of people swim in the Nene 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It is. I would like to think not many people actually do so though. 

The river great Pouse is much better suited for it. Which is why I stopped swimming in it. 

Lots of people swim in the Nene 

The Nene river water in many places is beautifully clear, enabling one to see perhaps 3 feet down where fishes go about their business. Of all the waterways I've cruised, nowhere have I seen a greater concentration of Kingfishers or Herons. It's a river I'd highly recommend, apart from the lack of moorings and facilities.

If desperate, I might be persuaded to drink filtered Nene water, but my level of desperation would have to be very much greater to drink filtered canal water.

Just now, Bargebuilder said:

The Nene river water in many places is beautifully clear, enabling one to see perhaps 3 feet down where fishes go about their business. Of all the waterways I've cruised, nowhere have I seen a greater concentration of Kingfishers or Herons. It's a river I'd highly recommend, apart from the lack of moorings and facilities.

If desperate, I might be persuaded to drink filtered Nene water, but my level of desperation would have to be very much greater to drink filtered canal water.

I'm with you there. Have cruised it for many years. Friends of the Nene have opened up many mooring spots now, and there are, of course quite a few marinas available. 

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

At least it is a flowing river so any spilt hydrocarbons should flow past rather than hang about, and there will probably be less suspended fine particles than in a canal.

This is my hoping 🙏 

26 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

One difference is, that I understand that sea toilets are allowed to pump out directly into that river!

I've been river swimming here all my life so I should at least have a good human filter already haha no 'nene (delhi )belly' for me 

“For legal and insurance reasons, we can’t guarantee that the water is safe to drink. 
Where customers do want to drink the water, we recommend the addition of a medical grade 0.05 micron under sink filter. …”

Your choice.

7 minutes ago, Peanut said:

“For legal and insurance reasons, we can’t guarantee that the water is safe to drink. 
Where customers do want to drink the water, we recommend the addition of a medical grade 0.05 micron under sink filter. …”

Your choice.

Have you some link with the filtration company mentioned?

12 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Have you some link with the filtration company mentioned?

Just found it here:

https://waterfreedom.co.uk/

Under:

Frequently asked questions,

Water,

Can I drink the water?

With the filter they suggest using, after a few weeks of use, you'd have to wait a very long time for enough water to fill a kettle.

17 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Just found it here:

https://waterfreedom.co.uk/

Under:

Frequently asked questions,

Water,

Can I drink the water?

With the filter they suggest using, after a few weeks of use, you'd have to wait a very long time for enough water to fill a kettle.

Thanks, this type of system has been discussed before with regards to this YouTube clip.

1 minute ago, Ascott83 said:

Interesting. What site is he selling on ..

If it's on the market, it's very well hidden. I think it's a Frobisher class.

It looks like it has a steel hull with possibly a grp top, but that's a guess based on appearance. If it has a grp hull then it might be a find, but it doesn't look like it.

Just now, Bargebuilder said:

If it's on the market, it's very well hidden. I think it's a Frobisher class.

It looks like it has a steel hull with possibly a grp top, but that's a guess based on appearance. If it has a grp hull then it might be a find, but it doesn't look like it.

It's all steel. You are right, it's a dartline frobisher. Nice cruising boat, needs work to be a proper liveaboard. 

10 minutes ago, Ascott83 said:

Interesting. What site is he selling on ..

It's on Facebook for 50k iirc

4 hours ago, Ascott83 said:

Hi all. Here is the water filter system I'm looking at. https://waterfreedom.co.uk/ . I mainly want my boat to live on staticly until my holidays come round as I will still need to work at home and office. Not many residential moorings close to peterborough are available so marina will not be on the cards for me so having taps close by with a small size water tank would not worry me if I had this water filter system in place depending how much they cost compared vs diesel and time is something I still need to consider. Your all so helpful ☺️ the reviews are pretty reassuring. 

What are the mooring restrictions in the area you wish to be?

Bod

Thanks again all above great info. I want a residential mooring close to peterborough and not many marinas this end that ate close enough for me to still cycle to work but have found a few longterm moorings on the banks around peterborough that are suitable for now like Whittlesey and a bit closer to work.

They got back to me about prices and seems reasonable at 2.5k to 4k especially if its my life time on the boat at least next 15years before I can consider ditching the office work life anyway and be a bit more a real life boater... they also mentioned filter changes for most are around £150 to £300 a year 

8 hours ago, booke23 said:

I know this boat. She's been owned by the same owner since the early 1970's and was very well looked after. Sadly he recently died so the family are selling the boat. AFAIK the engine and hydraulic drive is fairly new. 

Thank you so much. That's reassuring so hope my viewing goes well. Sad the family couldn't keep it as wish my family had kept theirs ..

5 hours ago, Ascott83 said:

Thank you so much. That's reassuring so hope my viewing goes well. Sad the family couldn't keep it as wish my family had kept theirs ..

Yes I hope the viewing goes well, you could certainly do much worse in the fibreglass cruiser market. It's very well fitted out, although a little dated by todays standards.