Have I Killed The Audlem Thread ?

Featured Posts

cotswoldsman, on 09 May 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Looking forward to the "Audlum at War" weekend!!

You won't have to wait for that event John,

simply go online and look for back copies of the BBC comedy programme 'A League of Gentlement'. Where a couple of very strange 'local traders' - in a dysfunctional village called Royston Vasey - called Tubbs and Edward, bear a worrying similarity to what's been prevailing here of late! laugh.png

What's all this shouting? we'll have no trouble here!

I am saddened to read all ths about Audlem in recent months. It is a lovely place, and has been one of our favourite stops in he past. The transport festival last summer was superb in my opinion.

What's all this shouting? we'll have no trouble here!

I am saddened to read all ths about Audlem in recent months. It is a lovely place, and has been one of our favourite stops in he past. The transport festival last summer was superb in my opinion.

We plan to stop there in a few weeks. I have no intention of altering our schedule because a few folk there seem belligerent. After all, that would be handing them the power to influence what I do, and that is not on. I might however be more circumspect about where I spend my money whilst in Audlem. It would be quite a wrong to judge a village by the actions of a few.

• Greenie 1

I took time to read Audlem Online last night. I'm not going to comment on the main issue of this thread but it seems to be the case that Cheshire Council are turning the screw with regards to charges to use the playing field behind The Shroppie Fly.

As things stand escalating costs might make this the last Transport Festival. If you want to attend this year might be the last opportunity.

Generally I have great admiration for the people of Audlem. There's always something going on to make their village vibrant. The music festival at the end of the month is a case in point. Excellent three days FREE entertainment.

As in many small towns there are market days. Lots of people to to town on Market day. Would those people go to town anyway? Do those people go to town because it's market day?

Do the local shops benefit from more people in town on market days?

If, what has been suggested, it's a local business saying what has been aledged then more fools them. They will not benefit from the added footfall potential. Especially if it's a Public House with food and good beer available.

I would welcome any potential business increases. I might even smile when out of sight.

Martyn

An example:

A couple of years ago it was proposed to reopen the street market here each Saturday morning. Some of the older, established businesses were up in arms about this, saying that it would kill their trade, make people not come into town and were generally very anti. However it all went ahead, initially only in a small way, but gradually it has got bigger and is now quite successful.

And the anti-market traders? They are now all in favour as they have all seen a growth in their takings that morning!

FWIW - Yesterday afternoon I received a note from a mod that one of my posts on the Audiem thread had been deleted, the reason being that I had mentioned (and criticized) someone from Audiem by name. Having seen Sally Ash compared to Adolph Eichmann on these pages, referring to this person as a "real piece of work" didn't seem like it was out of line and, in fact, the post in question had been up for a day or two and was of little interest in the conversation, garnering one reply as I recall.

Site management and the mods must have been under quite a bit of constant pressure from certain folks in Audiem about that thread because they were obviously trying to selectively edit the thread before they actually pulled the plug on the whole thing.

From what I have seen and read, Audiem seems like a nice village. It's unfortunate that they have allowed someone with a bad temper and a foul mouth to define their village to outsiders for them. Those in Audiem who try to stifle the truth from emerging are liable to be in for a big surprise. Often times, using force or threat of litigation to try to bury the truth can become a bigger story than the original incident. The press particularly seems to dislike anything that approaches sanctioned censorship, and Audiem may just be inviting even more bad publicity, with an even larger audience, because of their attempts to censor what has been written about the issue.

Meanwhile, the people of Audiem can vote with their wallets, just like everyone else. If there is a particular merchant in town that is giving the town a bad name, they can quite doing business with that merchant. It won't take but a month or two of no business before the proprietor(s) of the business(es) in question get the idea and go away. However, if the people in Audiem support the business(es) in question, then they are going to have to share in the fallout from the owners' offensive actions because they are the ones who are making it possible for those offensive people to be there in the first place.

After having rid themselves of the traveling merchants, and subsequently having apparently quashed much of the bad internet publicity about certain events, there are a couple of people at least in Audiem who are feeling very empowered right now, which will ultimately bode badly for the village.

Nothing I've said should be construed as criticism of site management or the mods. They do what they have to do.

Michael William Christian

5' 7", bald with an olive complexion, scar on right cheek, bandy legs and an insufferable ability to smile against all adversity.

Ah mate gotta add to that. A broad scouse accent that makes you think about where you left your car and whether it'll have wheels on it in the morning.

Plus a heavy dollop of the ability to laugh at yourself and not take life too seriously.

I missed the original thread (I've decided to not switch the computer on for a few nights per week - I spend all day in front of screens and have a huge pile of books to read) but I'd treat the swipe at you with contempt it deserves Mike - you're a good man and everyone that knows you knows that. No one else matters.

Ah mate gotta add to that. A broad scouse accent that makes you think about where you left your car and whether it'll have wheels on it in the morning.

Plus a heavy dollop of the ability to laugh at yourself and not take life too seriously.

I missed the original thread (I've decided to not switch the computer on for a few nights per week - I spend all day in front of screens and have a huge pile of books to read) but I'd treat the swipe at you with contempt it deserves Mike - you're a good man and everyone that knows you knows that. No one else matters.

Cheers Ange (cheeky bugger saying that about your car, lol). Seeing that you know me better than most on the forum, I take great comfort in your kind words.

As a 'street wise kid' I've learnt how to take abuse from all sectors and always shrug it off. In this particular case, it appears to emanate from a source close to where we moor our boat in the village and without being too obvious, someone who has been exposed for what they are!

Interestingly, they appear to have a lack of understanding about the saying; "People in glass houses should not throw stones!"

Mike

Remind me, why can't we mention the name of this unfortunate sad sole?

Good post Mr Doorman.

Martyn

If you mean mention the name of the proprietor of the local business that verbally assaulted a floating Tea Trader and her customers and caused such a ruckus that three police cars had to roll on the incident, well it's because that person somehow brought a lot of grief down on the heads of the site crew.

The people of Audlem apparently don't want the truth about the dark side of their little village to become public knowledge.

ETA correct typo

Edited by Paul G2

If you mean mention the name of the proprietor of the local business that verbally assaulted a floating Tea Trader and her customers and caused such a ruckus that three police cars had to roll on the incident, well it's because that person somehow brought a lot of grief down on the heads of the site crew.

The people of Audiem apparently don't want the truth about the dark side of their little village to become public knowledge.

Does not seem to bother the groups on Facebook hehe