getting rid of rubbish from a refit

Featured Posts

What about waiting till you have finished the fit out then hire a skip get rid of it all in one go?

If you're a continuous cruiser then where does the skip go?

Things have really changed. When we got the boat, you would go to a boatyard to fit a boat out, maybe put it on hardstanding. If you bought a little day boat, you'd get a leisure mooring somewhere nice.

Now all of this takes place on the towpath. There are even people trying to run refitting businesses on popular visitor moorings.

but as LM points out, no vans and proof of residence is required to dispose locally.

Not quite my experience, although not up to date on these things.

A Reading, one used to be able to unload from a van with no proof of residence, you just had to pay as youy were classed as trade waste.

Nowadays I suspedt you'd also need to produce a waste carriers licence. £150 ever two years, or something.

A Reading, one used to be able to unload from a van with no proof of residence, you just had to pay as youy were classed as trade waste.

Nowadays I suspedt you'd also need to produce a waste carriers licence. £150 ever two years, or something.

Reading has a height barrier so we couldn't use our camper to get rid of rubbish

I would think some restriction would apply in somewhere like Reading, it tends to be towns & cities that do this due to the sheer quantity of waste.

There are odd private tips that will take almost anything but of course at a cost.

We renewed out Waste carriers licence last year, you're not far off Lynn recalls £154.00 and lasts 3 years. Anyone who carries any kind of waste commercially should have one even plumbers as they likely carry scrapped pipe. We as a removal company have one as we do house clearances. Even if we didn't do those though we would still require one.

Shifting & dumping rubbish is going to get very expensive. We've just cancelled a Biffa bin skip contract. When we first used it in 2001 an empty cost £48.00 + v.a.t the same bin 3 months ago our last empty was £138 + v.a.t It's now cheaper for us to hold the waste at the yard and drive it 30+ miles to landfill ourselves when a viable load builds up.

Edited by Julynian

If you google for "waste disposal london", you get a list of people who will come and take it away for a price. You'll need to get moored somewhere they can park the pickup, though. I often see them driving round in tatty transit type tipper vehicles with extended sides and a cellphone number scrawled on the side and back.

Yes if they are rubbish barges but if they are just CRT hoppers then it'd be a bit flytipping-ish wouldn't it?

Coal boats are a recognised service but until someone from CRT says these are for rubbish then I personally would be wary of using them as such

Edit - Domestic rubbish - normally, sorted packing of goods used in the kitchen and for everyday living, plus bottles and plastic and tin cans. If it's too large it is reduced in size and taken to the Local Authority Disposal point.

Green waste disposed of at LA tip, food waste collected at road side, but in our case used for compost or down the Waste disposal unit.

Would that be the LA Disposal Point that says "Domestic Rubbish only. No Trade Waste"?

One wonders what those who claim that their CRT licence covers their rubbish disposal so they don't need to pay council tax would say...

CRT rubbish points are ideal places to dispose of domestic diy waste and if they are not designed for it then they should be in order to prevent fly-tipping and pollution which costs far more money than providing adequate waste disposal facilities.

Edited by carlt

Would that be the LA Disposal Point that says "Domestic Rubbish only. No Trade Waste"?

One wonders what those who claim that their CRT licence covers their rubbish disposal so they don't need to pay council tax would say...

CRT rubbish points are ideal places to dispose of domestic diy places and if they are not designed for it then they should be in order to prevent fly-tipping and pollution which costs far more money than providing adequate waste disposal facilities.

Yes, it's an LA disposal point - my waste is generated from a normal household (2 persons).

Agree with you about CRT disposal points, a fellow moorer found a Thetford cassette unit in a CRt disposal point at Cowroast last weekend with 2 cassettes in good condition - someone must have changed to a pumpout.

I get amazing 'Tales from the Tip' from my step-grandson who works there plus details of the penalties if the rubbbish goes in the wrong bin - CRT must be paying the top rate for disposal of it's unsorted rubbish as I suspect most of this will go to landfill.

L

We're really lucky in Cambridge that the bin men come and collect from the public bins near the river every morning so if you put something large (eg boards/broken furniture) out beside one of them last thing at night on a weekday, it's gone before you wake up!

Having posted on this subject earlier, we popped off in to town taking a couple of carrier bags of rubbish to leave at the disposal point as usual. When we reached it this is what was left dumped all around it. I think this disposal point is emptied weekly, they were empty when we dumped some rubbish last Friday, they're now near full plus all this extra waste in photo.

CAM00035_zpsfcec7949.jpg

There's also quite a big gap behind the bin enclosure which is full of crap too, and some metal container to the Right of picture you can just see it partially in Red. if it's from a boat possibly there's one less boat on the canal with an untidy roof laugh.png TinC

I do wonder though if scrap men would offer to take stuff from these disposal points, it would be a nice wee earner I'm sure. The scrap guy who regularly collects from our depot says if it's metal I'll take it regardless it all adds up, he'll pay for batteries too. I've seen a fair few dumped at disposal points over the past 8 months. I'm quite sure Biffa will charge additionally to move this additional rubbish.

So Scrap dealers around the canals take note, might be worth contacting C&RT to get permission to remove scrap from bins.

Edited by Julynian

Having posted on this subject earlier, we popped off in to town taking a couple of carrier bags of rubbish to leave at the disposal point as usual. When we reached it this is what was left dumped all around it. I think this disposal point is emptied weekly, they were empty when we dumped some rubbish last Friday, they're now near full plus all this extra waste in photo./quote]

So where's the problem? A boater, or many, will reuse all of that stuff. Lots of bike parts get passed around that way. I'll be surprised if any of it is still there on Monday. Why do you want it scrapped? What a waste.

It's the tyres that are the killer for me

It's yours

Richard

About a fiver on ebay.

Edited by EmmaB

Having posted on this subject earlier, we popped off in to town taking a couple of carrier bags of rubbish to leave at the disposal point as usual. When we reached it this is what was left dumped all around it. I think this disposal point is emptied weekly, they were empty when we dumped some rubbish last Friday, they're now near full plus all this extra waste in photo./quote]

So where's the problem? A boater, or many, will reuse all of that stuff. Lots of bike parts get passed around that way. I'll be surprised if any of it is still there on Monday. Why do you want it scrapped? What a waste.

About a fiver on ebay.

You can fight John for it

Richard

We leave any metal out by our front drive. Guaranteed gone in 1/2 day. They drive up and down looking for scrap. Good luck to em - saves me diesel and it's getting recycled.

I even cleared some no-mans-land near us of metal one piece at a time (bring back a bit every time dog was walked). Everyone's a winner. Cleaned up a bit of land, scrappers weighed it in, resources re-used.

About a fiver on ebay.

A boater might well want some bits, I was tempted myself. Scrapping is recycling anyway, so just how long would you propose leaving this stuff strewn on the canal side? and what about the bits people wouldn't take?