Short term secure mooring Chester / Ellesmere Port

Mike Tee

Featured Posts

We will be going up as far as Ellesmere Port in June, and due to a variety of committments need to leave a 40' boat somewhere around the Port or near/in Chester for about 12 days.

Does anyone know of a secure marina etc in this area? Anywhere within a reasonable taxi range of Chester station would be ideal.

Thanks in anticipation.

The 'last' marina (offline) on the Shroppie is Tattenhall, and I'm sure they'd do a short term mooring because its not full.

I'd advise caution with Christleton, since although offside its publically accessible and there was an incident once where kids got in and did some damage to a boat. Then there's Top Farm, Golden Nook, nearer Ellesmere Port but not offline.

Not sure how secure the Museum moorings are at EP? They're out of the way from the main shenanigans and scrotes in the area, but I suppose very persistent oiks would work their way down to the basin. Wouldn't make for a quick getaway though. http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/national-waterways-museum/visitor-moorings

Tattenhall is of course safe because it's A - a marina and B - in the arse end of nowhere. Nice view of the castle though smile.png I moored there short term a few years ago but I remember thinking it was quite pricey per week.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I left my boat for a week in the lower basin at the Museum for the price of an entry ticket, and then the car for another week in their yard. It never even occurred to me that it might not be safe. This was five years ago. Are things different now?

When I was boating in that area (2009/10) boaters who moor around there were telling me stories about boat break-ins in and around the museum, the local traveller community persuading unsuspecting boaters to let their kid see inside their boat and then the boat mysteriously being robbed a day or two later. Who knows how much was true but one such tale came from a good friend of mine who it happened to at the Museum, so I don't doubt him. He's Port born and bred so was disappointed to take his boat up there and have it looted. There used to be signs around the museum about discouraging Travellers' children when I was working on a project with the museum back then - which was a remarkable and somewhat discriminatory thing to see! The museum has changed a lot since then though.

But EP itself can be as rough as hell, especially at night with fighting, steroid dealing (I'd never heard of it till working in EP) and a heavy police presence at night to dissipate trouble. Even the taxi drivers avoid some roads around EP centre and Cheshire Oaks end of town at night. I know, I've been in them and they've told me.

I moored in Stoak for a week, thinking it far enough outside EP to avoid trouble, but the family in the house opposite got robbed and their childrens' toys and trampoline from the garden were nicked that week! How does anyone nick a trampoline!? And BW staff themselves warned me about mooring anywhere near Blacon and the golf course, citing two burned out boats recently.

This is why Tattenhall is good for the OP. ;)

Tattenhall is fine, we moor there, but also we've done two blocks of two weeks at Ellesmere Port bottom basin this year already, there's also occupied boats there all the time and I,m also there working ther 3 to 4 days a week and never seen any problems. Access is only by BW key when the museum is closed. One thing to remember is that the IWA Rally is on the first weekend in June so it will be very busy getting through Chester.

Tattenhall is fine, we moor there, but also we've done two blocks of two weeks at Ellesmere Port bottom basin this year already, there's also occupied boats there all the time and I,m also there working ther 3 to 4 days a week and never seen any problems. Access is only by BW key when the museum is closed. One thing to remember is that the IWA Rally is on the first weekend in June so it will be very busy getting through Chester.

We were at Tattenhall for a while, it got to be the windiest place in Cheshire! ;)

I Agree with Tattenhall being the windiest place ever, I mention it whenever we stop there!! We live near Ellesmere Port so can quite easily say if you are going to moor there please go into the basin at the museum. Our 1st ever trip was to Ellesmere Port ( very handy for partners dad to take him to Asda for essentials!) which was strange but it felt like we were miles from home. There are boats who spend the night moored on towpath side but as a local I would advise against it. As far as I know the basin is fine and not to expensive. We have spent several weeks at a time between Christleton and Waverton but we are then at the boat every few days. We also spent a short few months on the towpath outside tattenhall ( not on VM's) and that was fine to. Depends on what feels safe to you.

Boat was entered in the museum last year, in view of CCTV cameras completely scratch built one off racing bike and very rare wheels stolen from in the bed hole ( don't ask) Not recovered in spite of museum staff reacting with great speed. Police know who did it but can't be troubled. Only £2500 worth.... F.wit who took it for his drug habit wanders round knocking on doors if challenged asks if you want cheap diesel. Personally would not leave a boat Chester side of middlewich junction.

Boat was entered in the museum last year, in view of CCTV cameras completely scratch built one off racing bike and very rare wheels stolen from in the bed hole ( don't ask) Not recovered in spite of museum staff reacting with great speed. Police know who did it but can't be troubled. Only £2500 worth.... F.wit who took it for his drug habit wanders round knocking on doors if challenged asks if you want cheap diesel. Personally would not leave a boat Chester side of middlewich junction.

Chester side of middlewich junction? Isn't that a LONG way away from Ellesmere Port (I know it is......)

I Agree with Tattenhall being the windiest place ever, I mention it whenever we stop there!! We live near Ellesmere Port so can quite easily say if you are going to moor there please go into the basin at the museum. Our 1st ever trip was to Ellesmere Port ( very handy for partners dad to take him to Asda for essentials!) which was strange but it felt like we were miles from home. There are boats who spend the night moored on towpath side but as a local I would advise against it. As far as I know the basin is fine and not to expensive. We have spent several weeks at a time between Christleton and Waverton but we are then at the boat every few days. We also spent a short few months on the towpath outside tattenhall ( not on VM's) and that was fine to. Depends on what feels safe to you.

I considered my boat perfectly safe at Christleton, Waverton, Golden Schmuck, Tattenhall, Calverly - that whole area. Never had any trouble in any of those places and never heard of any experienced by other boaters there either.

Thanks for the input - we've now decided to re-route and do Ellesmere Port first and Llangollen second rather than the other way round as first planned. That should, all things working out, put us near Swanley Bridge Marina when we need to leave the boat. If delayed there are a number of options between Llangollen Wharf and Swanley, so that seems a more sensible route.

Only problem will be the hooligans in Chester masquerading as IWA supporters, and the grey beard RN'ers at Ellesmere Port all getting in the way and pinching (overstaying on VM's) all the best mooring spots!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm, Tattenhall is certainly windy, but having moored at Swanley and Overwater, I'd say they are both equally bad - and Tattenhall has a windsock which is of great help; Tattenhall also has the bonus of the amazing view - one of the best on the whole system IMO.

But yes, generally a very safe a secure area, only really when you get towards Chester and beyond that there's any need for concern, Christleton is probably the cut off point.

N

Edited by snigsnig

You're exaggerating a bit at the end! Once past Waverton into the countryside through to Barbridge Junction (and then most of the Middlewich Branch) you can probably leave a boat unattended for months or longer without cause for concern. And Christleton is thought to be ok for stopping overnight.