Thornycroft RJ2

Shane Dempsey

Featured Posts

Hia,

Last year I bought my first narrowboat,which has served me very well.

It has a 1937 Thornycroft RJ2 on board which I want to replace with a more modern engine. This is an enthusiasts engine and is now running well but frankly I don't have the time to truly work on it and appreciate it in all it's glory. There are apparently only 6 of them in the country and would love to hear from anyone who has a passion for Vintage engines.

I am in London now and eager to get the word out.

Thanks again.

Shane

078 777 16702

Welcome Shane. Good luck with finding a new home for the engine (I would not be surprised if a couple of our members have consulted their bank managers already) and do feel free to join in any of the other threads/topics which interest you.

No need now. Three squirts of oil down the Number 1 cylinder glowplug hole and it starts like a dream!

Must do a proper post about it.

Anyone want to buy a low hours HRW2?

MtB

P.S. Only kidding...

No need now. Three squirts of oil down the Number 1 cylinder glowplug hole and it starts like a dream!

Must do a proper post about it.

Anyone want to buy a low hours HRW2?

MtB

P.S. Only kidding...

I'd hang on to it

You never know when you might need a spare ;)

Replying to the OP - replacing a vintage engine with a modern mass produced product may not prove to be an advantage. Most vintage engines have been engineered to endure conditions far more arduous than powering a narrow boat at three miles an hour. They are generally more robust, slower running (which is good on inland waterways) and they can tolerate longer service intervals than most modern equivalents.

Also it isn't just a case of changing the engine - if you switch to a modern engine (with built-in short life obsolescence) you may also need to change the gearbox, control gear and propeller - all of which will be very expensive.

I would say stick with your vintage engine installation or change the boat . . .

Replying to the OP - replacing a vintage engine with a modern mass produced product may not prove to be an advantage. Most vintage engines have been engineered to endure conditions far more arduous than powering a narrow boat at three miles an hour. They are generally more robust, slower running (which is good on inland waterways) and they can tolerate longer service intervals than most modern equivalents.

Also it isn't just a case of changing the engine - if you switch to a modern engine (with built-in short life obsolescence) you may also need to change the gearbox, control gear and propeller - all of which will be very expensive.

I would say stick with your vintage engine installation or change the boat . . .

You're not going to make yourself popular with MtB posting sensible stuff like this ;)

This was my advice to Shane too, but he likes the boat and doesn't have the inclination to look for another, buy it then sell this one.

Even so, I don't think he yet fully appreciates the size and complexity (= expense) involved in this engine swap.

MtB

I've just spotted the name of Shane's boat. We nearly bought Will Try ten years ago. If it is the same boat, the engine sits on a massive, cast frame integral with the gearbox, in an engine room with a full width bulkhead and fuel tank

It's going to be a massive job to put a different engine in

Richard

MORE: To be honest, it was the engine that was the attraction, combined with the price at the time

Edited by RLWP

Isn't that how everyone looks for a boat?

What's the engine - what wrapped around it

blink.png

I don't think that the stuff wrapped around the engine comes into the equation . . .

Isn't that how everyone looks for a boat?

What's the engine - what wrapped around it

blink.png

An American couple we used to know, who moored at Langley Mill, advertised their boat for sale in terms like that: " Gardner 4L2, surrounded by 50 foot trad narrowboat".

You made the right decision - I think the JP3 is probably the most suitable of all engines to power a narrow boat - may it go on and on forever . . .

ETA and this from a Kelvin man!

Edited by NB Alnwick

An American couple we used to know, who moored at Langley Mill, advertised their boat for sale in terms like that: " Gardner 4L2, surrounded by 50 foot trad narrowboat".

One of the boats that has been suggested to us as our possible "new" old boat has just that engine.

Unfortunately that's the main reason I have not followed it up - being undoubtedly at least twice what it actually needs. sad.png

One of the boats that has been suggested to us as our possible "new" old boat has just that engine.

Unfortunately that's the main reason I have not followed it up - being undoubtedly at least twice what it actually needs. :(

Easy way around that, just decide that you want your boat to win tug of war contests, and lo! It suddenly has just the engine it needs