C spanners

Featured Posts

Hi guys n gals, I need to purchase a couple of C spanners to adjust my stern gland packing, any ideas where from I've been asking around at chandlers but no luck. Cheers

C spanner:

GED40Z-1.jpg

Richard

Stand corrected on description and but have not seen them on stern gland packings. I have however got some for chucks on my lathe.

Talking of which I've now seen my man about spinning wheel bobbins - so progress is being made.

Stand corrected on description and but have not seen them on stern gland packings. I have however got some for chucks on my lathe.

Talking of which I've now seen my man about spinning wheel bobbins - so progress is being made.

I make no excuses for a dirty engine 'ole.

14120585004_75523aa0ec_z.jpg

no, it doesn't have to be out of water.

make sure your packing rope is cut to size (usually 3 lengths) round prop shaft before undoing anything.

turn greaser a few times, open outer "pusher".

Stick a long wood screw into the gap between prop shaft and outer flange and remove any old /partial packing pieces.

Push the 3 strips of packing in, you may need to use the pusher each time.

Also make sure the join is in a different place for all 3 - ie 12 oclock, 4 oclock, 8 oclock.

Move pusher back and tighten up - make sure prop shaft still turns turns freely.

Cup of Tea

make sure your packing rope is cut to size (usually 3 lengths) round prop shaft before undoing anything.

Stick a long wood screw into the gap between prop shaft and outer flange and remove any old /partial packing pieces.

Also make sure the join is in a different place for all 3 - ie 12 oclock, 4 oclock, 8 oclock.

Move pusher back and tighten up - make sure prop shaft still turns turns freely.

Cup of Tea

I have never bothered with this step and never had any trouble. Having been pushed into place by the pusher, any old packing is flat against the end of the bearing and presents a flat face to the new rings which you add.

George ex nb Alton retired

Cup of Tea

A lot easier than a wood screw:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/VCT7264100A#

VCT7264100A_0.jpg

I think I've got that, where do I get this packing rope?

Most chandlers.

A tip I picked up from this forum, find a drill bit which just fits between the propshaft and the tube and hey ho, you have the size of packing required.

Most chandlers.

A tip I picked up from this forum, find a drill bit which just fits between the propshaft and the tube and hey ho, you have the size of packing required.

Until you go in and ask for a length of HSS6 packing.......

Many thanks RLWP that's what I,m looking for. Also thanks to RAY T mine is the same as your picture, I will look at adjustment before replacing the packing. Many thanks again for all the help.