Don't boaters snore?

Featured Posts

Of course it's possible. It's just that most people buying new boats are couples who share a bed and whose only additional bed requirement is temporary accommodation for guests.

So the OP just has to wait a bit until a two-bedroom boat turns up, or a boat with a dinette in a suitable position to be converted into a cabin.

Umm, have I missed something. Doesn't the OP want a boat with a traditional back cabin/engine room arrangement. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the traditional back cabin have a fold down "double bed" and/or as in ours you have a bench type seat opposite the cupboards which could be used as a thin single bunk or the fold down bed.

As for snoring. I snore but the wife is deaf so no problem.

My wife "purrs" rather loudly but I sleep like a log so no problem their either.

As for the cat, he snores too and keeps us both awake.

Alan.

Thanks everyone. I have seen a couple of two bedroom 58ft boats and they were indeed ex hire.

The dinette solution is not on as we do this at the moment with our share boat and making up the bed nightly is a real pain.

If my dream boat is not possible then the engine room will be the first thing to go.

And yes, ear plugs etc have been tried and are ok for short breaks but not as a permanent solution.

I just think it's strange that two bedroomed boats are quite so rare.

And having written the previous post, look what's just come up! http://apolloduck.net/362952

Not ready to buy just yet but this seems to fit the bill, as long as 60 ft will get through the Leeds Liverpool and the Rochdale.

If as you say you want to do the northern canals then 58 feet and narrowbeam is the way to go widebeams limit you as does anything over that size. They are out there I found these in about 2 minutes on Apollo Duck

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=359386

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=360226

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=345709Keywords to put in the search are "boatman" and "2 bedroom" not saying these are good boats just that they roughly fit the bill, best ignore people trying to sell you on what they've done and make your own mind up.

K

We didn't want to make up a second bed each night, either. When I mentioned a dinette as a solution we were looking for to provide a second bedroom, I meant a dinette that could be sacrificed and inexpensively converted into a PERMANENT cabin.

A BMC boat has a big advantage as a two-bedroom boat where the BMC is used as one bedroom - the engine room (with doors at both ends) acoustically separates the snorer from the light sleeper. But we couldn't work out how to make the BMC into a satisfactory permanent bedroom without sacrificing its character.

Also, any under 60ft boat we saw with a BMC AND bedroom, had the bedroom between the engine room and the bathroom. So the BMC sleeper would have to disturb the bedroom sleeper to get to the loo in the night.

edited to remove illiterate apostrophe

Edited by Clifford

But we couldn't work out how to make the BMC into a satisfactory permanent bedroom without sacrificing its character.

So why don't you think a back cabin as it is is a satisfactory permanent bedroom for one? I have slept well on both crossbed and side bed.

The BMC cross bed is not an option for a strictly permanent bed, of course. But we did consider whether it would do as a semi-permanent bed (leave it down during periods of several days non-cruising when access to the rear deck wasn't required, or could be gained from shore). However, we sadly decided that no boat was wide enough to make the crossbed *quite* long enough for either of us.

I had more hopes for the side bed, but they are *very* narrow (and we aren't!). We considered making adjustments to the side bed width and the width (depth) of the opposite cupboards, bed'ole etc (to maintain at least a narrow corridor in the center) - but it seemed a bit "miussing the point" to buy a BMC boat and then muck about with the traditional proportions of the BMC.

Betty Boo wishes it known that,despite what her husband says, she doesn't "snore", she " purrs".

Regards,

DaveGood

See below re: Butty solution - great escape for you if the purring gets to much argue.gif

There are lots of us that are ugly on the outside but beautiful on the inside...

Exactly cheers.gif

Butty?

That's what I'm going to do to solve the problem. That and a very long line......

And anyone want to take a guess who would be in the butty after the above purring comment icecream.gif