Not a Springer, so who made it?

whatkathydid

Featured Posts

Hi all, according to a credible source, my boat isn't a Springer, although that is what it was sold to me as. It has a v bottom, a gas locker on the trad stern, and wooden grab rails. It doesn't have a "moustache". It is quite thin steel - about 5 ml - on the bottom. The welding on the roof is apparently very good. It is about 25 years old. Any ideas??? TIA

If you put your boat's BW / CRT No in here may help:

http://canalplan.org.uk/boats/

ETA fron Canalplan:

Pinny - Length 11.6 metres ( 38 feet 1 inch ) - Beam 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ). Metal hull, power of 30 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 50131 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Tuesday 19th April 2005.

Pinny Built by Springer Engineering in 1991 - Length 11.6 metres ( 38 feet 1 inch ) - Beam 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) Powered by a Diesel Inboard engine with a power of 31 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number B0480 as a Non Hire Annual. Last registration recorded on Friday 20th April 2012.

Edited by Ray T

It depends on when it was built as to the style of Springer, both CRT and EA records list it as the same boat, EA stating Springer engineering.

If you have a piccy, we may be able to help you.

It could be a Fernie (similar to Springers, slightly different hand rail mounts and front ends.

It could be a Fernie (similar to Springers, slightly different hand rail mounts and front ends.

Don't think you mean Fernie, do you?

They produced Harborough marine near look-alikes. I don't think they ever produced anything Springer like.

An outfit called Faulkner (I think), possibly Cosgove based, built some Springer like boats, I believe. Is that what you are thinking of, perhaps?

From the couple of pictures on your link, it could be a Springer Tug.

Agreed.

Not actually a "tug" style boat at all of course, but the "trad" version of the normally "cruiser sterned" Springer.

( smiley_offtopic.gif Although I'm firmly of the view that terms like "trad" and "cruiser" stern didn't actually yet exist when many of these boats were built!)

Don't think you mean Fernie, do you?

They produced Harborough marine near look-alikes. I don't think they ever produced anything Springer like.

No Alan, you are entirely correct, I am wrong, tired and now looking at the blog pics, (I couldn't see linky on my mobile) is probably a tug style springer.

An outfit called Faulkner (I think), possibly Cosgove based, built some Springer like boats, I believe. Is that what you are thinking of, perhaps?

Unless my memory is failing Faulkners of Cosgrove, they were based where the slipway is by the new houses just before the bridge, took springer hulls and put their own wooden tops on them and fitted them for customers.

So Faulkners boats were Springers but with wooden tops. This would have been somewhere about 1969.

Some friends of mine used to own Badger which was of this era and allegedly the oldest springer still on the cut.

Hi all, according to a credible source, my boat isn't a Springer, although that is what it was sold to me as. It has a v bottom, a gas locker on the trad stern, and wooden grab rails. It doesn't have a "moustache". It is quite thin steel - about 5 ml - on the bottom. The welding on the roof is apparently very good. It is about 25 years old. Any ideas??? TIA

Can't be a Springer then!

Seriously though, did Springer tugs have 'built-in handrails' like those in the blog photo? I've never noticed a Springer with anything other than tubular handrails.

MtB

Seriously though, did Springer tugs have 'built-in handrails' like those in the blog photo? I've never noticed a Springer with anything other than tubular handrails.

MtB

It may have been optional. The Springer adverts of the time show the "tug" with tubular handrails, but forum member Laurie Boot'h's ST has cants (as I believe those solid handrails are called).

Below is a picture of my Springer "Tug"

Wooden 2x2 handrails but has bad welding on the roof

smile.png

Does yours have a vee bottom?

The one Springer of that style that we used to dock had a fairly conventional hull, with slab sides and flat bottom. From memory it was much the same as yours above the water. The OP says theirs has a vee bottom.

Tim

Pleased this has generated so many responses already!

Not wanting to be rude to any Springer owners, but the good welding on the roof was one of the main reasons that my friend thought it couldn't be a Springer. Did he ever get anyone else to do his welding?

Any thoughts about the position of the gas locker?

I think you said yours is "on the trad stern", but I'm not sure I fully understand what that means.

I think many of the "trad style" Springers often had them in the side of the cabin towards the back, resulting in a distinctive door on the outside, (not ideal if you need to change a cylinder and that is not on the towpath side, I would have thought).

I have seen some with this arrangement welded up, and the cylinders relocated elsewhere.

Regarding the welding, Springers generally made no attempt to hide the welds, so some might see visible welds as 'poor welding'?

On the so-called 'tugs', which seem to have been an attempt to move upmarket a bit, the visible welds would have been ground flush as with most modern steel boats. This actually weakens the weld, but makes a smarter job which might be seen as 'better welding' by the uninitiated.

Tim

Pleased this has generated so many responses already!

Not wanting to be rude to any Springer owners, but the good welding on the roof was one of the main reasons that my friend thought it couldn't be a Springer. Did he ever get anyone else to do his welding?

Possibly it originally had a wooden top, which was replaced by a steel one. That certainly seems to be the case on mine. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this properly, as the paperwork trail starts with a 2009 safety certificate, and at least the engine's been changed since then.

Does yours have a vee bottom?

The one Springer of that style that we used to dock had a fairly conventional hull, with slab sides and flat bottom. From memory it was much the same as yours above the water. The OP says theirs has a vee bottom.

Tim

Yes it has a slight V hull.

:)

The welding is visible, but the roof is smooth with a nice curve, which I believe makes it good.

Yes, sorry - not a clear description of where the gas locker is. It is on the port side of the "back" cabin at the stern. The stern is trad style.

Sounds like it is possible that it is a Springer then??

Actually, thinking back, the one we used to dock may have had a slight vee to the bottom, with a wide central flat 'keel' plate. It must be about 8 years since I saw it, so my memory is a little rusty.

Tim

We supplied equipment to Springer over a number of years, after the move to the new big factory the build quality seemed to deteriorate. I remember new Springers being delivered to Iver where major parts were missing ie T studs! and the paint was different shade one one side to the other. Whilst this in retrospect is negative Springer put a lot of people on the water for little money and helped create the wave of boatbuilding we saw in the 1990's.

Did I miss any pictures that have been posted?

If I didn't miss the pictures, then pictures showing the complete boat from a couple of angles, close up detail of the stern, rudder, bows and any other build details would help. If you've got one of it in the air, showing the hull shape, that'd be good, but don't go to the length of hiring a crane....wink.png