Keys

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

Handspike is a long bit of wood you use for some lock paddles on the Calder and Hebble. You can buy a tough hardwood one with a comfy handle, but someone on here will be along to tell you how to get the right bit of softwood from B&Q and sand it down a bit.

The handspike slots into a wheel set in the ground and you lever it sideways to lift the paddle. Dropping the paddle is very satisfactory. I don't think any lock is exclusively handspike operated, you always need a windlass with you as well.

If you haven't got one, you mustn't have been on the C&H yet. It's a real treat. If you like beer, or just good pubs, I recommend the Barge asnd Barrel at Elland and the Colliers nearby.

As we have just moved onto the Aire & Calder for a while what the hell is a 'hand spike' ?

No doubt I'm gonna need one and I would sooner find out now rather than later.

Thanks in advance

You don't need a hand spike on the Aire and Calder. You just need your CRT Watermate key and for some locks like Bank Dole your windlass.

Thanks Clifford and doghouse

We have a windlass and BW key on board but haven't had time to start exploring yet as we sold our Norman 23 moored at Shardlow and have bought our new 27 footer and are moored at Lemonroyde.

So it's a new waterway for us.

Any recomendations of routes or good pub food near us would be most welcome!

(If you see us say Hi we are in Conquest

Edited by Stevie101

Stevie101, on 11 May 2014 - 1:54 PM, said:Stevie101, on 11 May 2014 - 1:54 PM, said:

Thanks Clifford and doghouse

We have a windlass and BW key on board but haven't had time to start exploring yet as we sold our Norman 23 moored at Shardlow and have bought our new 27 footer and are moored at Lemonroyde.

So it's a new waterway for us.

Any recomendations of routes or good pub food near us would be most welcome!

(If you see us say Hi we are in Conquest

We moored in Lemonroyd for a year, nice little marina, is Marie still running the show?

Route wise the world is your oyster but definitely come out the marina and turn right and get yourself down to Pollington, there are some really nice VM's with a short walk into the village will find you at the Kings Head. Nice moorings at Syke House Junction just passed Pollington to but no pub handy there, nice place for a BBQ though as are the VM's at Whitley Lock..

Another must do is a run up the Selby Canal, very pretty, the run on the River Aire after you jump off the canal at Knottingley is a bit bland and featureless but the Selby Canal itself is very pretty. The two pubs not far from the moorings at West Haddersley Flood lock have a good local reputation.

For a (very) short run out turn left out of the marina and make for the moorings at Woodlesford, the pubs in the village are a fairish walk but not too far away, its a while since we have been in there so not sure about quality and service. There is an excellent butchers in the village just near the co-op though. They are not time limited either so currently the max. stay is 14 days.

For a longer run out a venture down the New Juncion canal onto the Sheffiled and South Yorkshire Navigation is worth doing the VM's at Spotbrough are very pleasant and the run from Doncaster to Spotbrough itself is IMHO one of the prettiest on the system.

A run to Stanley Ferry is also worth doing not least to see the dual aqueducts, the VM's at Birkwood lock are nice but no pub nearby. Heading in that direction, once you get past Wakefield you will be on the Calder and Hebble and that is when (as Clifford says) you will need your hand spike.

Edited by The Dog House

Before you take your key near the water (they are magnetically attracted to each other) get a cork ball keyring. With that in your pocket you'll feel the part even more.

And then watch ruefully as it gradually disappears into the depths with all your keys on it, as nobody told you that they don't float with more than the BWB key or one other on them. Then regret not buying the Sea Searcher magnet and twenty foot line that the chandler tried to sell you, help.gif

If you do have one, (The magnet, not the floaty thing) then you'll never need to buy another windlass, and yours will all have a lovely patina and smell of canal bed.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

Alternatively you could visit one of the big electrically powered locks near you in the North East, or a lift/swingbridge (with barriers and traffic lights etc), wait for a boat to arrive, and have a rather more enjoyable experience to test that your key works ...

Why wait for a boat, just stop the traffic anyway.

• Greenie 1

Yes indeed, my favourite windlass has two, different sized square holes, neither of which fit properly because the standards changed

Richard

Available from WFBCo. Holes fit current locks, GU + small taper.

13976826600_1a6d86de4d_z.jpg

I assumed they asked about the handspike because the C&H is the next canal along to the A&C.

The most exciting pub to get to is at Wakefield. Coming into central Wakefield from the West, on the Calder, you have to do a right turn into the lock off the river, otherwise you hit the weir a quarter oif a mile ahead. But instead of turning right, look at the river wall oposite the lock entrance (opposite side of the river). There are some big rings set in the wall, and a ladder up the wall. Moor on the rings, climb the ladder, and you are at the Wharfside pub. It's gone a bit posher recently, and a bit foodie, but you are welcome just to have a pint (and the food is good). You can stroll to the Hepworth Gallery from there, too.

I assumed they asked about the handspike because the C&H is the next canal along to the A&C.

Depends which way you are heading of course.

Going North it would be the Selby potentially onto the Ouse, going south is onto The New Junction/S&SYN and the S&K and then potentially onto the Trent and back North west is onto the L%L.

But yes going West through Wakefield it is indeed the next one.

Sorry Martin, I didn't mean to imply you didn't know the canal geography up here.

I just meant that I assumed that the C&H being so close to them was the reason they asked about a hasndspike even though they were not actually on the C&H.

Oh, bother. I keep getting into these "No, But, You said I said you said." discussions at home. It usually ends badly, but I never learn!

BTW, I've been to Selby from Sowerrby Bridge, and looked timidly over tyhe lock to the Ouse. But I've never been on the Ouse or the Tidal Trent, or even the Sheffield&Tinsley.

Edited by Clifford

Sorry Martin, I didn't mean to imply you didn't know the canal geography up here.

I just meant that I assumed that the C&H being so close to them was the reason they asked about a hasndspike even though they were not actually on the C&H.

Oh, bother. I keep getting into these "No, But, You said I said you said." discussions at home. It usually ends badly, but I never learn!

BTW, I've been to Selby from Sowerrby Bridge, and looked timidly over tyhe lock to the Ouse. But I've never been on the Ouse or the Tidal Trent, or even the Sheffield&Tinsley.

The only rivers we have so far tackled are the non tidal ones too.

We did once plan to go on the Ouse from Selby but the tides conspired against us and the Locky couldn't let us onto the river.

We do plan to try again at some point as I would like to get up to Ripon too.

Edited by The Dog House

The only rivers we have so far tackled are the non tidal ones too.

We did once plan to go on the Ouse from Selby but the tides conspired against us and the Locky couldn't let us onto the river.

We do plan to try again at some point as I would like to get up to Ripon too.

The river Ouse at York / naburn can be a mean beast especially when in flood quite scary ( pic of a river monster ) but lovely too :-)

You defiantly must put on your were to go list Ripon very friendly place & well worth a visit.

Sue x

The river Ouse at York / naburn can be a mean beast especially when in flood quite scary ( pic of a river monster ) but lovely too :-)

You defiantly must put on your were to go list Ripon very friendly place & well worth a visit.

Sue x

Cheers

-just noticed your location BTW, we live in Skelton-in-Cleveland.

Oh woe is me :(

U would never believe this we Went to ripon race course marine to have a looksy at a boat,

while we were there I spotted a CRT utility place & I could have tried our brand new shinny key!

But

She was at home :(

Sue

X

Cheers-just noticed your location BTW, we live in Skelton-in-Cleveland.

That's not far nearly neighbours :)

Oh woe is me sad.png

U would never believe this we Went to ripon race course marine to have a looksy at a boat,

while we were there I spotted a CRT utility place & I could have tried our brand new shinny key!

But

She was at home sad.png

Sue

X

It will be fine - some people have reported problems with the copies you can get off eBay (though ours, which we keep as a spare works perfectly) I think you bought a genuine one.

If you are really busting to try it out I was going to suggest you could pop down to the Tees Barage which is managed by CRT - but I have just had a quick check on their site and there doesn't appear to be anything to try it on there, unless perhaps there is a water point but I cant recall seeing one.

smiley_offtopic.gif

That's not far nearly neighbours smile.png

My first house as a newborn was a rented flat in Eston on Normanby Road I think, and then my parents got a council house on Argyle Road in Grangetown (which was different 55 years ago!) and we then moved to Berwick Hills.

We then went posh and moved to Nunthorpe.

Jan my wife comes from Brotton hence us settling in East Cleveland.

A&S.

Can't wait to hear when you've tried out your shiny 'bog and bridges' key.

You may be pleasantly surprised how nice the loo is. When there is a warm shower room, with a dry floor, it's bliss - and most of them are like that. Don't look in the Elsan bit though (or rather DO, if you were thinking that emptying a cassette bog might just be acceptable to civilised human beings). Bleeeerrrrrch!

Edited to say : I don't mean that most HAVE showers. I mean that when they DO have showers, they can be quite nice.

Edited by Clifford

Calling a windlass a "lock key" is just a bit of dumbing down by hire companies who think their customers are too thick to learn the proper words.

And was used by one hire company in 1969.

Strictly, wasn't 'Windlass' a slightly dodgy word originally (though I think we can claim to have given the word a good enough run for its money to make it corect by now).

Windlass is really the name for the whole winding mechanism of, say, a well. So really, what wee call a windlass was originally just the windlass HANDLE. I suppose after a few years of saying, "pass the windlass handle, love", it was natural for the name to shorten.

I've often wondered, and never bothered asking, whether the handle was originally removable on early locks.

It will be fine - some people have reported problems with the copies you can get off eBay (though ours, which we keep as a spare works perfectly) I think you bought a genuine one.If you are really busting to try it out I was going to suggest you could pop down to the Tees Barage which is managed by CRT - but I have just had a quick check on their site and there doesn't appear to be anything to try it on there, unless perhaps there is a water point but I cant recall seeing one.:smiley_offtopic: My first house as a newborn was a rented flat in Eston on Normanby Road I think, and then my parents got a council house on Argyle Road in Grangetown (which was different 55 years ago!) and we then moved to Berwick Hills.We then went posh and moved to Nunthorpe.Jan my wife comes from Brotton hence us settling in East Cleveland.

Just goes to show it is a world

A&S.

Can't wait to hear when you've tried out your shiny 'bog and bridges' key.

You may be pleasantly surprised how nice the loo is. When there is a warm shower room, with a dry floor, it's bliss - and most of them are like that. Don't look in the Elsan bit though (or rather DO, if you were thinking that emptying a cassette bog might just be acceptable to civilised human beings). Bleeeerrrrrch!

Edited to say : I don't mean that most HAVE showers. I mean that when they DO have showers, they can be quite nice.

The futures will be brighter with my shiny CRT key & handcuff key mmmmm once we get a new boat ( that's another story) have keys will travel :)

Mmmmm maybe they could have there own handle lol x

Edited by Alan&sue

I don't think there is a hard rule. The smaller tapered hole is the one most used on CRT waters. The larger parallel hole fits the paddle gear on the 1930's widened GU locks from Napton to Knowle, is used on the odd lock that has hydraulic paddles, and for hydraulic lift bridges.

Lots of locks on the Stort require both in the same lock...although you can get away with using the big hole on the small spindle paddles.

Exciting indeed! Enjoy, and try to keep at least 10% of your brainpower for thinking rationally, rather than the other 90% which will be going "ImssoexcitedImsoexcitedImonaboatImonaboat... Ooh! Shiny!".

Or perhaps that was just us, six months ago.