Keys

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

So is it safe to ask how many keys in total as this thread has kinda confused me.:unsure:

Specifically keys? Then two types.

A CRT Watermate key for sanitary stations, some mooring gates, some water points, some locks, some bridges, some self operated CRT PO machines.

Plus a pare which is optional of course.

A Handcuff key for some locks and some bridges.

Plus a spare which is also optional.

Note this will cover most of the system though note the comments above if venturing onto the Fens area waterways.

Any thing else you need is not in my opinion a 'key'.

Edited by The Dog House

I agree. Calling a windlass a "lock key" is just a bit of dumbing down by hire companies who think their customers are too thick to learn the proper words. It actually causes more confusion than enlightenment, especially if some locks or bridges on the route also need a real key.

I agree. Calling a windlass a "lock key" is just a bit of dumbing down by hire companies who think their customers are too thick to learn the proper words. It actually causes more confusion than enlightenment, especially if some locks or bridges on the route also need a real key.

Ohhhh I'm not thick. :( green maybe but defiantly not thick I've been on a diet & lost 5 pound :) Edited by Alan&sue

In general I agree, but see the debate on this thread about Ouse keys (which are a type of windlass, not a key).

For national use (at least two of each)

Windlass with two square holes for both sizes of 'normal' lock paddle spindles.

BW/CRT/Watermate key for bogs, lift bridges, swing bridges and DIY locks.

Handcuff/Antivandal key for unlocking security devices on locks in rough areas.

You also need special devices in some areas.

The only one I know about on canals is the 'Handspike' for some Calder and Hebble locks. But I may be ignorant of devices needed on canals South of the Midlands. Another poster mentioned a special "key" for locks on the Ouse (not sure which one).

Who knows what the B stands for on the BWB key? CRT refer to it as a BWB key. "British Waterways Boaters" key was the best Wynne & I came up with. Unless there's a BWA key!

Who knows what the B stands for on the BWB key? CRT refer to it as a BWB key. "British Waterways Boaters" key was the best Wynne & I came up with. Unless there's a BWA key!

"Board". - the formal name of BW was "British Waterways Board" (Transport Act 1962 - see here). It replaced the British Transport Commission, created in 1948 which inter alia made films and sold holidays (it owned Thomas Cook!).

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

For national use (at least two of each)

Windlass with two square holes for both sizes of 'normal' lock paddle spindles.

BW/CRT/Watermate key for bogs, lift bridges, swing bridges and DIY locks.

Handcuff/Antivandal key for unlocking security devices on locks in rough areas.

You also need special devices in some areas.

The only one I know about on canals is the 'Handspike' for some Calder and Hebble locks. But I may be ignorant of devices needed on canals South of the Midlands. Another poster mentioned a special "key" for locks on the Ouse (not sure which one).

Special windlass for the River Wey Navigation locks - available to hire from Thames Lock (River Wey) - don't get caught using a standard CRT windlass on River Wey Navigation locks!

... of course, there are TWO sizes of lock paddle spindle, one of which is tapered. Not to worry, though, most windlasses (called "lock keys" by hire companies, and "handles" by normal people) have holes for both.

Yes indeed, my favourite windlass has two, different sized square holes, neither of which fit properly because the standards changed

Richard

Not really offtopic...

What areas do the two current canal windlass standards cover. Is it GU versus other, North versus South, old versus new, or what?

You'll gather I do the hard work at locks (manfully grasping the tiller while expertly judging wind direction and bywash speed). I have people to do the sitting-on-lockbeams-nattering bit.

Not really offtopic...

What areas do the two current canal windlass standards cover. Is it GU versus other, North versus South, old versus new, or what?

You'll gather I do the hard work at locks (manfully grasping the tiller while expertly judging wind direction and bywash speed). I have people to do the sitting-on-lockbeams-nattering bit.

I don't think there is a hard rule. The smaller tapered hole is the one most used on CRT waters. The larger parallel hole fits the paddle gear on the 1930's widened GU locks from Napton to Knowle, is used on the odd lock that has hydraulic paddles, and for hydraulic lift bridges.

Yes indeed, my favourite windlass has two, different sized square holes, neither of which fit properly because the standards changed

Richard

At one time most of the spindles were either small and tapered, or large and parallel. Then BW in their wisdom changed the small tapered ones to large parallel ones, and changed the large parallel ones to small tapered ones. They solemnly informed us that we would all have to throw away our dual-hole windlasses and get new ones, and were totally perplexed by the way that the old ones fitted the new spindles perfectly!

Hi

Ok I'm aware we are pretty green behind the ears in the boating world :)

but as the saying goes " you're never to old to learn"

So I no we need a CRT key & a lock key so do we need a antivandel key as well :(

So could some kind soul explain why

Thanks

Sue x

Well Pretty good service from CRT we are now the proud owners of some shiny new keys, 1 Yale CRT utility key & 1 antivandel/handcuff key:)

Soon be proper boaters :)

Mmmmmm oh only one small problem no boat :(

Sue x

Edited by Alan&sue

Well Pretty good service from CRT we are now the proud owners of some shiny new keys, 1 Yale CRT utility key & 1 antivandel.

/ handcuff key:)

Soon be proper boaters :)

Mmmmmm oh only one small problem no boat :(

Sue x

You may find your boat will come with the keys you need....ours did.

Anyway spares are good.....

You haven't got enough handcuff keys. They are like windlasses, you never own them, they just stay awhile with you. Eventually the urge to spawn comes over them and they either leave quietly or dive into the cut depending on their sex

Richard

• Greenie 1

So you can now go and try a sanny station loo! If your interest in boating survives that, you've got it bad!

For the full ecperience, take a bucket of something unpleasant with you and see if you can hold your breath for the full time it takes to empty it down the drain. Don't wear white shoes. That will make up your mind for you on the big question - what kind of loo to get.

Seriously, welcome aboard. With a loo key and a handcuff key you are already proper boaters. Getting a boat to match will be easy.

So you can now go and try a sanny station loo! If your interest in boating survives that, you've got it bad!

For the full ecperience, take a bucket of something unpleasant with you and see if you can hold your breath for the full time it takes to empty it down the drain. Don't wear white shoes. That will make up your mind for you on the big question - what kind of loo to get.

Seriously, welcome aboard. With a loo key and a handcuff key you are already proper boaters. Getting a boat to match will be easy.

Alternatively you could visit one of the big electrically powered locks near you in the North East, or a lift/swingbridge (with barriers and traffic lights etc), wait for a boat to arrive, and have a rather more enjoyable experience to test that your key works ...

Yes, the feeling of power, working chunky machinery, is very nice. Best of all is making beepy noises and flashy lights and stopping cars at a lift bridge in the rush hour.

Really, don't forget the key next time you go looking at canals. It would be frustrating to come to a loo inthe hour of need and remember the key sitting on the mantlepiece.

Before you take your key near the water (they are magnetically attracted to each other) get a cork ball keyring. With that in your pocket you'll feel the part even more.