Things to remember before starting your engine

RLWP

Featured Posts

Did anyone mention the tiller handle?

I've actually started the engine, let it warm up, untie my ropes, jump in the stern deck and put the boat in gear. Then reached back for the tiller handle and realised I'd left it inside the boat!

See post 48!

:)

MtB

I've actually started the engine, let it warm up, untie my ropes, jump in the stern deck and put the boat in gear. Then reached back for the tiller handle and realised I'd left it inside the boat!

Don't worry. You are in good company. I have done that a couple of times during the last year or two. I'm not sure if it is an *age related* issue .......... help.gifrolleyes.gif

On the subject of big engines. Next Post #89 is a Sulzer 7RTA. (Long Stroke) There are only 7 pistons as opposed to 12 in the earlier pictures.

Thats me in the white hat and gleaming white overalls!

The job was to pull the pistons and inspect the liners. All seven were done in three days during which time for operational reasons the engine was on a six hour notice of readiness. Only one cylinder done at a time with the remaining six kept warm with hot jacked water.

It was in the Persian Gulf and the air temperature there at the cylinder heads was 55 deg C. Inside the crank case where I had been a little earlier unbolting the cross head it was a lot hotter still.

Comments seperate from picture because for some reason Once I downloaded the photo, I could not fit in any text. (Probably picture too big.

Edited by Radiomariner

The job was to pull the pistons and inspect the liners. All seven were done in three days

That's brilliant news. Why? Well it means my little two cylinder Ruston pistons and liners should be done in a couple of hours tops.

Ooer...... I was hoping no-one would remind me of that faux-pas......

My fault for not reading the thread. I can't be bothered to read entire threads these days. But now you've drawn my attention to it I probably won't bother to read post 48 either!

There's a lot of it about on the forum these days.

People making the same point that has already been made previously in the thread is actually quite irritating and degrades the quality of the forum for me. I try not to do it.

But like you, sometimes I can't be arsed to read a whole thread before commenting and someone usually also points out the redundancy of my contribution! :)

MtB

or what was the saying....".man shall crawl on his belly like a serpent and eat dust all the days of his life......therefore build turboelectrics so that all that is written shall come to pass"

.....and there was a man in in those parts, Babcock the son of Willcox...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised none of the Lister enthusiasts have mentioned:

3) Screw the b***dy compression changeover valves back in.

Annoyingly easy to forget when you've stopped, then need to restart in a hurry and think "I don't need the checklist, it's all prepped already because it was just running a minute ago"...

Spent so long trying to start the thing by hand in low compression I barely had the strength left to screw them in. frusty.gif

• Greenie 1

Any more?

Check water level

Rake out clinker

Add paper and sticks

Remove funnel cap and open air

Check water level in boiler again

Apply carefully placed match

Wait for about 30 seconds

Add a shovel of coal with hands

Wait 5 minutes

Add two shovels fulls of coal

Cover engine with sheet and ash out

Add four shovel fulls of coal

Remove sheet and oil the engine and fill oilers

Add four shovels full of coal

Fit whistle and open various valves

Open drain cocks and warm engine

Hope it flips over, or bar round, and walk other half

Engine is now running, close drain cocks

Check for cooling water and the like

Open HP drain and crack main regulator

Close warming valve and HP drain

Check running engine over, water in boiler, fire

Add four shovel fulls and, and hour after you started, consider moving!

Ideally, get a about a mile in before you hit any locks to the engine is properly warm.

Only saving grace is is that the shovel in question is only fairly small....

Daniel