Refuse storage on boats

Neil2

Featured Posts

I'm a big fan of "unshopping" - save all the recyclable packaging, then take it back to the supermarket on the next trip and "unshop" it into their recycling bins. Who knows, might even encourage them to cut down on so much unnecessary packaging if enough people did it. Wishful thinking?

Recently noticed that an increasing number of pubs seem to have (public) recycling facilities in their car parks too, a quick online search for "recycling near xxxxx" is generally all it takes to hunt them down.

We are heavy garbage creators. Live Aboards. Cat. Dog. Kids. A full bag once per day is common. We've never had an issue....we just stop where there's a bin, and pop it in....the trick being able to twist and turn your waste bag so it fits through the smallish slot in public waste bins.

Public waste bins are provided for people who are passing by, not for boaters' refuse or household waste.

Public waste bins are provided for people who are passing by, not for boaters' refuse or household waste.

tough.

tough.

My marina is meant for boaters, yet the public leave all their bottles and cr*** outside my boat.

see pic below. It works BOTH WAYS.

photo41.jpg

Dean To look out on that when opening you're eyes on say a Sunday morning, must be horrible.

All Boats should have a Goat, and bring back the penny on a Bottle 'Returned'.

Ooops I ment 50p (adjustment for inflation).

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

No recycling where my boat is..skips for all rubbish which I do not really like since where horror house is(my renovation mistake) very strict recycling which does my head in since you are regarded suspiciously at one tip. I sneak in and out.

I would hate to wake up and see what Dean sees.

tough.

My marina is meant for boaters, yet the public leave all their bottles and cr*** outside my boat.

see pic below. It works BOTH WAYS.

photo41.jpg

So your irresponsible behaviour is because others don't care. That's great.

Am not sure how Dean putting rubbish in a bin so it can be easily collected and be hygienic can be seen as being irresponsible? If people went and dumped their rubbish on the ground THAT would be irresponsible, however putting it in a suitable bin is certainly not!

Am not sure how Dean putting rubbish in a bin so it can be easily collected and be hygienic can be seen as being irresponsible? If people went and dumped their rubbish on the ground THAT would be irresponsible, however putting it in a suitable bin is certainly not!

Although I agree totally with the tone and logic of your post, I believe Tony Brooks may have the legal right of it

Although I agree totally with the tone and logic of your post, I believe Tony Brooks may have the legal right of it

fully agree with you on the legal aspect as well! However one of those occasions where Law and common sense don't join up? BY leaving that rubbish lying around rather than in a bin that would count as littering which depending on the law / bylaw is also wrong!!

My irresponsible behaviour?

I put our rubbish into public bins. A bin man arrives in the morning, tips it into a truck. It then gets disposed of properly. I pay council tax.

Would you rather I dump it on the towpath or keep it in my boat while cruising so it starts to smell and develops maggots?

I put our rubbish into public bins. A bin man arrives in the morning, tips it into a truck. It then gets disposed of properly. I pay council tax.

Would you rather I dump it on the towpath or keep it in my boat while cruising so it starts to smell and develops maggots?

and....if you look at the pubs on a Sat night.......by Sunday morning, there is a pile of 20 bin bags sitting on the grass outside the bins. Life is all relative, and those who try and do what's right, should be left alone...not frowned on, don't you think :) Regarding legalities,...if the police cant put a guy into prison for stealing a bike off a boat in our marina, I doubt they'll be hauling me into court for putting some rubbish into a bin.

This is a serious subject not just for boaters. I am amazed by the amount of waste that the population of this nation are able to generate these days. When I was a child in the 1950s the dustman was exactly that because the contents of our half full 'dustbins' were rarely anything other than dust. Waste was re-used wherever possible for instance we had some very nice garden paths surfaced with ash and cinders from our Rayburn.

To tackle the problem, we all need to be on constant alert to avoid waste - as Andrew has said earlier, decline unnecessary packaging at shops and supermarkets (if we all do this they will eventually get the message) as others have said, always consider re-use - a Squirrel Stove provides and excellent means of re-using paper, card and wood - I can usually boil a kettle on a week's junk mail. Try to avoid non-recyclable products and packaging and choose re-chargeable batteries rather than the 'use once and discard' variety. There are many more ways and I cannot claim that those aboard nb Alnwick have all the answers but we do constantly look for ways or reducing, re-using or recycling our waste.

You said that you were putting waste in bins with a slot, which are designed that way to discourage people from putting large items in them. Some are not emptied very often and can overflow with rubbish.

If you are talking about ordinary bins or skips, that's different.

Dean To look out on that when opening you're eyes on say a Sunday morning, must be horrible.

All Boats should have a Goat, and bring back the penny on a Bottle 'Returned'.

Ooops I ment 50p (adjustment for inflation).

Somewhere in-between, I think. New drinks bottles bought in bulk are well below 50p each (see http://www.jbconline.co.uk/ for examples), so 5p might be an appropriate fee nowadays for returning a bottle to a shop. I'm not quite sure why the drinks manufacturers stopped taking the empties back, which I think occurred somewhere around the late 1960s, but maybe it had something to do with the labour costs of cleaning them and checking the glass over for damage, or a proliferation of different bottles and/or imported drinks making it too awkward to get the right bottles back to the right plant. It really seems a silly waste of energy to me that whole bottles are thrown into bottle banks, broken, melted down and made into new... whole bottles.

For the sake of the environment I think someone in government should be looking at this, and working with the drinks industry to standardise bottles and do whatever else it takes to make it economic to return and re-use them. Canal transport might be a very efficient way of getting bottles back to their place of origin, because they're a heavy and fragile but non-perishable cargo. Maybe we should find a brewery sited by a canal and ask what they'd pay per crate of their bottles delivered back to them?

For my home-made jam, wine, etc. I'm constantly re-using old bottles and jars, but of course I do it manually and I know what's been in them.