put your rubbish in the bin

gaggle

Featured Posts

I am told by fellow moorers locally that C&RT at Wigan office are complaining that BOATERS are using the bins excessively , we had the same before after events held adjacent to the facilities seen the bin room literally full to the ceiling , it was obvious where all the extra rubbish had come from but Wigan issued warning about shutting down the bin room blaming boaters for the problem instead of confronting those mis-using C&RT facilities .

The elsan point is also they say costing to much money because of misuse /vanadalism /take your pick of several excuses they give .

The toilet adjacent to and seperate from the bins has in the past weeks on the sunny days had lines of people waiting to use it , not boaters but visitors to the wharf that cant get access to toilets at the wharf , i reported that a sink was partly torn from the wall and needed attention before it came away completely and smashed to the floor , i doubt this was caused by a passing boater.

I have spoke to several people who insist they have complained to C&RT about the abuse of the facilities as i have done myself and yet they insist only one complaint has been recieved , several complaints have been made about day boats being on the facilities almost on a permanent basis using the moorings clearly intended for the facilities as the loading point for hirers , access to water point is often denied to others as is use of elsan and other facilities , and the threat of closure seems to be the only option C&RT are looking at.

Do boaters just dump rubbish on the towpath instead of the refuse shed , empty elsan into waterway , a boat that was to long to go down the Rufford branch to sparks i was told gave up and headed back wigan way .

One hour only sign was put on door of services but despite complaints Wigan will not enforce against offenders , if you are going through Burscough bear in mind the difficulties you may be confronted with at services.

Pretty much EVERY rubbish station I have been to in the last few months has been over flowing. The bins at Buckby Top Lock are pure disgusting and I'm amazed the council don't complain that CRT are creating an environmental hazard.

Surely the answer is to increase the frequency of rubbish collections rather than close down the bins.

Increasing recycling facilities would ease the pressure.

The bins at Cowroast disposal point are the same.

CRT now lock the road gates which allowed vans to back up to the bins, but now people use the non gated entrance to dump bagged rubbish (some even builders rubble).

The elsan facility does have a CRT lock but is often left open by users.

L

Some problems are caused by boaters notlocking facilities after use like elsan and toilet doors etc. Some by contractors not emptying bins as per contract.

Lots of unauthorised use of bins by non boaters. Lots of fly tipping.

There is no cost effective answer. Just needs all boater users to take the time to make sure doirs are closed and locked after use. Much like closing lock gates after use. Some are just too lazy to protect their own interests

One of the problems at Wigan is the lack of facilities on the North West stretch of the LOL meaning that when arriving at the rubbish point at Wigan the amount of rubbish is high.

While talking rubbish on Monday I stopped at Minver and the about 8 bins were all overflowing answer while watering up I must have seen about 4 Rats

Bins at Greenberfield Locks are always overflowing but I have spoken to people who aren't boaters and all they say mine at home are full or something to that effect the bins at Salterforth are the same L&L canal Someone is always unlocking toilet door at Greenberfield Locks and propping open with a plant pot Joan

Well you explain to me why they should take mountains of refuge away, including food waste,old fit-outs, furniture, sofas, battery's, waste oil, the list goes on. Carts main remit is the waterways and canal furniture not a waste disposal facility.

Darren

Cropredy is no exception. I have experience of Biffa Waste, which I believe are contracted for Cropredy area. Do they do National Coverage?

Like other companies in the contracting world they tend to undercut everyone else in the tender stage, make all the promises that the client/customer would like to hear, and then assess the contract to see where corners can be cut. In my experience, it may have changed now, is that the reduction of collections is a money maker. Regular misses to bin areas for different days etc. they have been known to say the lorry is off the road etc. I wonder if CA&T monitor the collections.

Martyn

It's a bit rich this isn't it?

CRT are unashamedly trying to promote canals as an amenity for the wider public, they can hardly be surprised when this sort of problem arises. Surely with the increased use of canal towpaths some improvements to the infrastructure must have been foreseen?

Like I say Darren, chuck it the canal instead. You've got the right answer there.

Emma, you have made this suggestion twice, and I am unsure as to how it answers previous points and to what extent it is helpful. I trust that you are being sarcastic in some way. What would your solution be?

Mr. Watch, the Cropredy sanny station is generally kept in fairly good order, the exception of course being during the festival when it is physically impossible for a dustbin lorry to get to the bins without flattening dozens of spaced-out hippies, so they leave them until said flower children have attempted to find their way home.

Mr. Chain, if you're in a house, the council disposes of your rubbish. If you're in a boat on CART waters, CART disposes of it, seems simple to me.

I have just realised that we have a Watch and a Chain on this thread. I wonder what they'll fob us off with next. Come in, Albert!

When I came through Wolverton I put some rubbish in the bin, a council bin on the towpath, it was already overflowing. When I came back over a week later the same rubbish was still there, with a whole load more, it hadnt been emptied. At the time I remember reading an article in their local rag complaining about boaters dumping their rubbish there.
I will put my rubbish in the bin, especially if it's a public bin, I'm not going to think ooh it's a council bin I better not use it because I dont come from this area therefore dont pay council tax therefore cant use this bin. The problem there is that the council are clearly not emptying the bin, & if they feel that boats are using it more than the public, then it's up to the council to come to an agreement with CaRT about charging CaRT for the boaters use of the bin.

When I lived on land I lived in a big old mansion house in the middle of a public park, just 10 mins walk from the town centre, along with 7 other people. We had 1 of those big commercial type bins. But because there were no bins in the park, all the general public used it as well, as did the small cafe that was next to the house. I was asking for more bins on a weekly basis. We regularly got nasty letters from the landlord (a property management company) threatening to fine us for too much rubbish, the fact that the general public & a commercial enterprise used it as well didnt come into it. 1 weekend a huge event was held with several thousand people attending. Guess whose bin they all used, because no more bins were provided.
Rubbish everywhere, we all got fined (I refused to pay mine) & it made the local rag, blaming us residents for all the rubbish.
Eventually they saw sense & provided more bins.

What do these people want? It's bad enough that there are litter bugs who just dump their rubbish anywhere & everywhere with no consideration for others or the environment. But to start saying to those who will put their rubbish in a bin, oh YOU cant use that bin because you are from the wrong organisation is just plain stupid, & the people running these various organisations need to come together & come up with a solution that doesnt involve getting rid of the bin or stopping certain people from using it.

• Greenie 2

Mr. Watch, the Cropredy sanny station is generally kept in fairly good order, the exception of course being during the festival when it is physically impossible for a dustbin lorry to get to the bins without flattening dozens of spaced-out hippies, so they leave them until said flower children have attempted to find their way home.

I have just realised that we have a Watch and a Chain on this thread. I wonder what they'll fob us off with next. Come in, Albert!

I must have been unlucky then.

In these days of cut backs and money saving exercises I think cleanliness and Hygiene Standards should be high on the list.

Do CA&T have operatives doing the rounds cleaning the sewage disposal points? Do these guys,if they exist, know when the bins are emptied? Are they instructed to give a sweep around the bin compound once the bins are cleared?

Or is this just ignored? Then it becomes a major task and would take three or four times as long. You then get into the 'is this my job' syndrome.

I know several people who are non boater and have no interest whatsoever in the waterways who have acquired BW keys and make full use of BW facilities when they are out with their motor caravans. Apparently it is one of the first tricks you are taught when you go to one of their rallies. One gentleman told me that he had bought 2 BW keys from another motorhomer at one of these rallies.They find the elsan points especially usefull.

• Greenie 1

More facilities are required so what lottery funding are CaRT applying for this could be claimed under environmental issues ?

Who is responsible in the multi management structure of CaRT for this arduous task of ensuring contractors meet their remit?

Towpath users need better facilities locked service areas are not available to them so before problem gets worse what are the plans for visitor facilities ?

Isn't this what our licence fee goes towards? If bins are left to overflow then facilities closed then fly tipping will increase and a whole lot of it will end up in the canal. As has been mentioned, if special events are put on then part of the agreement for those events to be held should be the provision of bins and the removal of rubbish after the event has closed.

if special events are put on then part of the agreement for those events to be held should be the provision of bins and the removal of rubbish after the event has closed.

I'm sure that councils usually stipulate such provision - perhaps they don't check to ensure that what's supposed to happen, does happen.

At a recent CaRT user group we were given a lengthy presentation about the plans to increase the use of the towpath, but when it was pointed out that there would have to be a corresponding increase in facilities and improved facility management the reaction by CaRT was one of 'this will not be necessary as only boaters use the facilities'. And when they were reminded that many cyclists and fishermen have purchased BW Keys in order to avail themselves of the toilets/showers and rubbish disposal facilities it was akin to pointing out that the earth was not flat and they had never heard of such a thing before.

I am usually a defender of CaRT but in this case they really do need to get their act together.

Maybe if keys had been better controlled in the first place then the problem wouldn't have got as bad as it has (who am I kidding). But with the ease that they are available on e-bay or just down to the local key cutter (although I do believe some don't have the blanks) its got past controlling now