Tofu???

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

My gosh I hope none of you ever have to go and work in China (like I did), in the canteen they served little else. Chinese don't really eat much meat at all.

Hint: it helps to know how to cook Chinese food if you are going to eat it, we have tofu at least once a week, I love the stuff, I miss quite a lot of the food I ate out there (especially Taiwanese cuisine) and it's not possible to get many of the dishes here so I learnt to cook them myself, helps that we have three big Chinese food wholesalers nearby.

But my favourite of all is a firey chilli noodle soup made with oxtail, just can't buy those kind of noodles here, I have tried!

well I did a rice noddle salad with tiger prawns, cucumber, radish, carrots, fennel, white cabbage and toasted peanuts & sesame seeds. I made the dressing by pureeing; basil, garlic, fish sauce, sesame oil, red chilli, fresh ginger, plume tomatoes & a dash of light brown sugar.

Topped the salad with cubed tofu drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.

after setting the tofu off to the side, the rest of the salad was lovely - but the texture of the tofu - again - YUCK

Really?

I would rather eat my left foot

There is a Chinese chippy near me that does deep fried tofu with black bean and chilli sauce. My totally carnivorous friend scarfs most of mine whenever I buy it.

Tofu straight out of the packet and not even drained is the food of the devil though.

well I did a rice noddle salad with tiger prawns, cucumber, radish, carrots, fennel, white cabbage and toasted peanuts & sesame seeds. I made the dressing by pureeing; basil, garlic, fish sauce, sesame oil, red chilli, fresh ginger, plume tomatoes & a dash of light brown sugar.

Topped the salad with cubed tofu drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.

after setting the tofu off to the side, the rest of the salad was lovely - but the texture of the tofu - again - YUCK

How did you cook the tofu?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Pepper-Tofu-365129 This is a good recipe

Or buy the pre deep fried stuff in the Chinese supermarket and serve in a noodle dish. The texture of tofu to me is not that different to an omelette but I sometimes buy the dried marinated stuff or pre smoked that comes in packets for snacking and that can be anything from texture and taste of dried meat to tuna.

They sell a marinated tofu in Holland and Barrett, it's from Taiwan, and comes in a tin - it has the texture of tuna in oil. I make a cold noodle salad with Thai style flavours (coriander, sweetcorn, cucumber - dressing made of sweet chilli or a curry paste) and mix this in.

There is a Chinese chippy near me that does deep fried tofu with black bean and chilli sauce. My totally carnivorous friend scarfs most of mine whenever I buy it.

Tofu straight out of the packet and not even drained is the food of the devil though.

How did you cook the tofu?

Well that is where the problem lays I think - the recipe didn't call for it to be cooked. I took it out of the package, drained and rinsed it and cubed onto the salad

Well that is where the problem lays I think - the recipe didn't call for it to be cooked. I took it out of the package, drained and rinsed it and cubed onto the salad

Hm, I'd at least wrap it in kitchen towel after draining and press between two plates for at least half an hour then lightly fry or grill (none stick pan best).

My gosh I hope none of you ever have to go and work in China (like I did), in the canteen they served little else. Chinese don't really eat much meat at all.

Hint: it helps to know how to cook Chinese food if you are going to eat it, we have tofu at least once a week, I love the stuff, I miss quite a lot of the food I ate out there (especially Taiwanese cuisine) and it's not possible to get many of the dishes here so I learnt to cook them myself, helps that we have three big Chinese food wholesalers nearby.

But my favourite of all is a firey chilli noodle soup made with oxtail, just can't buy those kind of noodles here, I have tried!

Good heavens, you must have been to a different bit!

Whilst working there I was offered horse, donkey and tortoise (although my host swore the tortoise was turtle) as well as the more regular mutton and beef. Not sure what was in the dumplings in the back street places in Xian, but it was more like meat than Tofu.

When I say offered, I should really say "ate"...

tofudebeest.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

tried tofu for the first and Last time tonight - YUCK

Place 4 ounces of tofu in a clean jar. Place 2 ounces of Gin in a seperate glass. Swill the Gin around for 2 seconds in sight of the tofu. Add 2 ice cubes to the Gin whilst laughing at the tofu and add a decent tonic water to the Gin. Raise the Gin an Tonic to your lips in a toast to the lost souls in the tofu jar. Finish the Gin and Tonic, and use the tofu, with kindling, to light the fire.

Well, mustn't waste it, eh?

CygnusV, on 21 May 2014 - 8:30 PM, said:

Place 4 ounces of tofu in a clean jar. Place 2 ounces of Gin in a seperate glass. Swill the Gin around for 2 seconds in sight of the tofu. Add 2 ice cubes to the Gin whilst laughing at the tofu and add a decent tonic water to the Gin. Raise the Gin an Tonic to your lips in a toast to the lost souls in the tofu jar. Finish the Gin and Tonic, and use the tofu, with kindling, to light the fire.

Well, mustn't waste it, eh?

this^ clapping.gif