Short Term Dry Dock

Geoff Page

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone

The propeller on my narrowboat need re-pitching. Crowthers are doing the work but I need to locate a dry dock that could remove the prop. for me to take/send it to Crowthers in Oldham. We live aboard and currently cruising down to London on the GU eventually heading for Bristol. We will be returning via the Midlands on our way back to Cambridge. Phew!

What we need is a dry dock for a few hours to remove the prop. and moor up until the re-pitched prop can be replaced. Crowthers can turn the job around fairly quickly. I don't want the expense of hiring a dry dock for a week when all I need is to get the prop. off and re-fitted a few days later. Does anyone know of a yard that can provide this type of service which is not going to cost more than the prop??? I have been quoted £200 a day + engineer to take the prop. off (Newbury) which means £400+ for a simple job which literally takes less than 30 minutes.

Hello Everyone

The propeller on my narrowboat need re-pitching. Crowthers are doing the work but I need to locate a dry dock that could remove the prop. for me to take/send it to Crowthers in Oldham. We live aboard and currently cruising down to London on the GU eventually heading for Bristol. We will be returning via the Midlands on our way back to Cambridge. Phew!

What we need is a dry dock for a few hours to remove the prop. and moor up until the re-pitched prop can be replaced. Crowthers can turn the job around fairly quickly. I don't want the expense of hiring a dry dock for a week when all I need is to get the prop. off and re-fitted a few days later. Does anyone know of a yard that can provide this type of service which is not going to cost more than the prop??? I have been quoted £200 a day + engineer to take the prop. off (Newbury) which means £400+ for a simple job which literally takes less than 30 minutes.

If it were my dock, which is apparently nowhere near your route, it would cost less to keep the boat on all week than to dock it twice within the same week. I don't imagine that to be very unusual.

Do you know that your propellor can be removed/refitted that simply, i.e. have you done it before? Some boats it's that easy, with some other considerations come into play.

Tim.

once saw it done under a footbridge with a large chain block.....I suppose that kind of thing would be frowned on nowadaysninja.gif

I remember someone once, years ago, using a large oak tree. The tree fell down a few months later.

Tim

Hi Geoff! Welcome!

Where are you exactly? the floating drydock at Denham Deep springs to mind. Contact Pete Wakeham 07774166497. Or try Bulls Bridge in Hayes (https://sites.google.com/site/bullsbridgedocks/contact-us) or the Uxbridge boat centre http://www.192.com/atoz/business/uxbridge-ub8/marine-equipment-supplies/uxbridge-boat-centre-ltd/99ebfeb613f90201e608ed3e2922d1518baffd90/ml/

Good luck!

Edited by Black Ibis

Get a dry suit and jump in the cut with a big spanner, a hammer and a pin punch :)

I replaced my shaft at Uxbridge boat centre but they are costly. A crane is another possibility I remember seeing a boat called dace being lifted out then later the same day he came past I asked what happened he said new prop.

I once saw someone working on a prop at Llangollen. Don't know what he was doing but the water was crystal clear and he had some goggles on. He did say the water was very cold as he didn't have a wet suit. It didn't come up past his waist when stood up although he was knelt down doing the job. It would be an easy job to remove a prop though you may need a puller if it were very tight.

If you are heading down to London you could use one of the tidal berths (can't remember where it is - it might actually be Isleworth)

Then take the prop to Norris's at Isleworth. Book it in, they do it while you wait (or do as I did and go for a wander round Kew pumping station)

http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/index.php

They did mine last year and did a bloody good job

There you go:

https://www.pla.co.uk/assets/u26of2013-richmondlockpladryingoutfacilitiescharges2014.pdf

I've seen it done at Bunbury staircase locks. The problem is, before and after the lock are many moored boats, so nowhere to temporarily moor unless you bowhaul it a long way past the boats (which I can't see how you'll achieve easily). And you're nowhere near Bunbury......

I took out shaft complete with prop...while moored up...extra bilge pump..and a cork that I had already 'sized' for the job...

When I bought my boat..Braunston did this for me BUT ..two weeks later...and in the middle of Brum....as they had not replaced the stern tube bolts..and it rotated and unscrewed from the hull!!

Isleworth draw dock is £15 for 24 hours

Norris Marine is less than a mile away.

Plan your low tide well and you could have it off, re-pitched and back on while the tide was in

Job done

You mean while the tide was out?

I had my prop repitched by Norris last year. The told me they need at least 24 hours to do the job - so they could get it back to you the next day. But they'll need advance warning if you want them to get it done that quickly.

Edited by blackrose

I have had mine out twice, took out shaft and prop to replace stern bush, remove rudder by removing rams head, screw eyebolt into top of rudder, tie rope to it, tie another rope through hole in top of rudder blade, give a big heave on top rope, move bottom rope a bit to make sure rudder doesn't drop back into skeg, then lower onto canal bed, or lock. Do not untie ropes as you will need them to reverse procedure. Next tie rope around blade, split half coupling, loosen stuffing box and pull out so enough is left in stern bush, then reverse stuffing box, insert a thin piece or rubber mat, tighten nuts and pull shaft out with prop attached and remove prop in the usual manner. refitting is done in reverse with shaft being fed in by hand (Down the weed hatch) with rope supporting prop end.

I have had mine out twice, took out shaft and prop to replace stern bush, remove rudder by removing rams head, screw eyebolt into top of rudder, tie rope to it, tie another rope through hole in top of rudder blade, give a big heave on top rope, move bottom rope a bit to make sure rudder doesn't drop back into skeg, then lower onto canal bed, or lock. Do not untie ropes as you will need them to reverse procedure. Next tie rope around blade, split half coupling, loosen stuffing box and pull out so enough is left in stern bush, then reverse stuffing box, insert a thin piece or rubber mat, tighten nuts and pull shaft out with prop attached and remove prop in the usual manner. refitting is done in reverse with shaft being fed in by hand (Down the weed hatch) with rope supporting prop end.

Arrr! But that's with a proper boat Roger. Many boats built by so-called boat builders these days have rudders that cannot be removed because the skeg is too wide, the stock trunking too small, the clearance to lift out of the cup non-existent or the rudder is bolted to the stock and the bolts are seized or the stock has a taper coupling that has seized etc. etc. etc.

And I can remember more than a few times when we have sweated for well over 30 minutes just to free the prop off the taper, even with loads of heat, and that was sometimes when the prop has only been on for half an hour and a few thousand test revolutions.

The Apprentice at Isleworth is a good idea but only if you have all the gear such as oxy-propane, power for a drill etc. and a spade to drop the rudder should you need to. Docks are not a good idea unless you are sure that you wil not have to drop the rudder to clear the prop. I would have thought Uxbridge, with a good deep dock, and a crane, and a shop full of nuts & washers & split pins would be the best and safest answer.

The Apprentice at Isleworth is a good idea but only if you have all the gear such as oxy-propane, power for a drill etc. and a spade to drop the rudder should you need to. Docks are not a good idea unless you are sure that you wil not have to drop the rudder to clear the prop. I would have thought Uxbridge, with a good deep dock, and a crane, and a shop full of nuts & washers & split pins would be the best and safest answer.

I'm guessing that's a typo for Locks?

Tim