Roger Fuller boat list

PeterG

Featured Posts

Is there any list of boats by Roger Fuller as I am trying to track down any history on one registered 48963 built in 1989?

This is currently called India but I believe this was not the case as built. Anything greatly received and if there is not anything I may start something up.

Is there any list of boats by Roger Fuller as I am trying to track down any history on one registered 48963 built in 1989?

This is currently called India but I believe this was not the case as built. Anything greatly received and if there is not anything I may start something up.

I can ask him if you like?

Have you just bought it?

It was for sale recently. I have a photo somewhere.

NB Roger Fuller used to have a website with a list of boats built; but it's disappeared.

Edited by mark99

I've seen India once some time ago at Sawley and spoke briefly to the owner .

IIRC she's had a cabin extension put on (skillfully without being obvious) and has a Gardner engine, close to the centre of the boat (well forward of the back cabin- possibly with the bathroom between).

A good looking boat

who is roger fuller ?

Just simple questions from somebody interested to learn

Ok smile.png

If you asked for a list from all posters in here of the ten most respected narrowboat builders in the UK, he would almost certainly be there.

There are a few who don't need to advertise too much - he is one of them. His range of past builds is diverse and impressive.

IIRC he was a schoolteacher at some time in distant past.

Edited by mark99

Ok smile.png

If you asked for a list from all posters in here of the ten most respected narrowboat builders in the UK, he would almost certainly be there.

There are a few who don't need to advertise too much - he is one of them. His range of past builds is diverse and impressive.

very good. is respected another word for expensive ?

highly regarded by who ? What is his history ?

Highly regarded by just about all of the trade and anyone who knows about well built traditional narrow boats. One of the top ten "names" to buy when considering a hull or second hand boat.

A cabin extension, do you mean a stretch as it has a tug front deck?

Yes the bathroom is between the back cabin and engine room.

The cabin was extended (you could call it stretched) at the front.

What I call the extension can be seen on the photo where a roof beam can be seen about 6-7ft from the front.

I can't remember being told if the entire boat was "stretched" (ie cabin and hull) or whether the cabin was simply extended over the exisiting tug deck (without increasing the hull length).

Sorry if I appear a bit obtuse, I've just come back from the pub!

This sounds very much like the boat for sale at Braunston Marina, certainly one of Rogers fitted with a Gardner 2LW which is still hand start only

Yes that's the one I knew I saw it for sale somewhere.

NB the HP of a 2LW is 28 not 38 as advertised. And it's a covered well deck so it could have been just covered over (cabin extension rather than stretch).

Edited by mark99

Just a thought, but how old are you Harry? There is a lot to learn about boats, and Roger Fuller had a website which was rather out of date having had the last update in 2001. But there is an archive page which has some links that still work. Unfortunately, his new website which is posted on the old, is an invalid link.

http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/pages/root.htm

Given how active Roger's daughter Rebekah is in the fields of boating and the Internet, I guess it kind of surprising that Roger doesn't appear to have an active site of his own at the moment. (Perhaps even more so now because Rebekah's partner Matt develops web-sites, although they do have a young daughter and do a lot of boating to keep them busy!)

(The stuff Derek has posted is of course on a website owned by our forum owner Dan).

I'll drop Rebekah a question via Facebook to see if there is a site for Roger lurking anywhere now, or whether there is a way to find a history of boats he has actually built.

As said before there was a list of most of RF's boats with brief decription and some images on their previous site. Given the variety of boats he has built and the quality, it's a shame it was not a bit more comprehensive - and has now gone!

I've no doubt some of them (past builds) will be thought of as classics in a few years time.

It would be good if that list of past builds was re-installed with a link for owners to send up to date info/images.

Edited by mark99

Just a thought, but how old are you Harry? There is a lot to learn about boats, and Roger Fuller had a website which was rather out of date having had the last update in 2001. But there is an archive page which has some links that still work. Unfortunately, his new website which is posted on the old, is an invalid link.

http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/pages/root.htm

thanks derek r for not treating me like a fool. i now know a little about Roger Fuller from your link. is Roger Fuller still building boats as these are hard times and his boats sound very expensive. is this why he is not on the internet ?

Edited by harry peterson

Somebody could not spell, then.

"Expensive" is a subjective word. A Mercedes Benz is, most would agree, a better motor car than a Dacia, and it is certainly much more expensive. If you bear in mind the expression "You get what you pay for", you'll be closer to understanding why some boats cost far more than others. In a Roger Fuller boat (as in for example a Norton Canes or a Mel Davis boat) you would expect solid steelwork, stylish lines, accurate steering, a well built interior, safely and correctly installed electrical and gas systems, and a reliable engine. You would also expect to need deep pockets!

Some budget priced boats which appear at first to be bargains have few, if any, of the above characteristics and some buyers have discovered that buying one was a false economy.