Has Anyone tried a Small storage heater on a boat?

Quaysider

Featured Posts

You arrive on board after being away for a couple of days to a freezing cold boat, you light up the stove and sit there for hours freezing 'cos the "nasty" heat store is stealing half your heat outputrolleyes.gif

edited to beat the modsninja.gif

Lucky the to OP says he's getting an Eber otherwise that might be a problem.

K

• 4 months later...

I was thinking along the same lines as ditchcrawler. My ballast is a freezing cold collection of cast iron weights (so cold, in fact, I was considering keeping the milk in there!). Running a copper pipe along the skirting of the interior to a radiator sunk in amongst the ballast shouldn't be too difficult?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pvc-coated-copper-pipe-white-10mm-x-25m/34388

Heating up the underfloor space will create all sorts of condensation problems leading to rust and pools of water under the floor. The underfloor space is always the coldest place on the boat so, yes, use it for the milk. I have a straightforward cold box built up and insulated over a hole cut in the floor. This is almost a fridge in winter and in summer is less effective but still makes a difference.

Then I have a small 12V fridge with the condenser on the end of a long insulated copper tube sitting on the base place in a hole in the floor of the kitchen cupboard making it very efficient. For maybe four months of the year the fridge is crucial if I am to have milk / butter/ meat etc lasting for days but for the rest of the time my cold box does the job and the fridge becomes a clean food cupboard.

Keep the heat above the floor and don't waste energy converting your bespoke cold area!

When I was in America on holiday the other year I went into an old cabin and they had these big 'soap stones' with handles on them. After you had your boat warm you could pop these on or around your stove to suck up the extra heat. Kind of like Red Dwarf's idea with the added value of them being portable.

• 4 years later...
12 minutes ago, yannis said:

I do not think it is a bad idea to use storage heater. Although using the electricity produced by the engine is not for free.

Hi Yannis and welcome to the forum. Do come in and join us. ?

You might want to brace yourself for a rib tickling as your first post on the forum is in reply to a 4yo thread, plus Quaysider (the OP) and his partner have now been well established in their boat for a number of years. But hay ho nothing like hitting the ground running ?