Composting toilets:Airhead versus Separett Villa. Any thoughts anyone?

tove

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

I am moored at Castleford Tim would you believe that 3 of the boats moored here have composting loos! How we laff as we see the other moorers carrying those heavy containers to empty them........................every 3 days or so, they are so last year ?

I don't carry my poo....................as you know I am a great believer in the pumpout loo!! ?

• Happy 1

Isn't it funny how the tone of boat forums always changes when it comes to toilets!

I think you should thank the composting gang, for achieving the seemingly impossible task of getting the pump out posse and the cassette crew to bury the beef for a brief moment, all the better to jeer at the  unhygienic, inconsiderate and, frankly, dangerous decomposing mob. 

Isn't it fun! 

I take it all with a pinch of salt... 

The guy who surveyed my boat, very experienced fella, member of this that and the other, studied at Lowestoft etc, seems to think they're an excellent option, now they've developed a bit more (separating toilets). 

Having said that, boat yards still regard it as as yet untested technology on boats. I think this is to do with their insurers laying down the law and not being prepared to cover it. 

But I've looked at loads of boats in the last 18 months, and seen a number with composting toilets. A minority, to be sure, and fewer than either cassette or pump out. But they're out there. 

The facts speak for themselves really: all three systems work OK, and will suit different folk depending on priorities and preference. 

In my experience, the only toilet that smells as little as a properly used composting toilet (which shouldn't smell at all) is a properly functioning, fancy pump out. That would be my choice, if I had the money... and also if I could be 100% confident it would never malfunction in a serious way leaving turds rampaging round my bilges and a boat that smelled forever fecal. We've surely all seen boats that have at some point had an issue and are left with a pervasive and lingering smell of the sewer. Not necessarily easy to fix. But I guess not everyone minds - I've seen some for sale when the vendor apparently couldn't notice it! 

I've lived happily enough with cassette toilets in the past, but I don't love the trip to the elsan, plus I'm not a fan of their smell. I've heard it said ti try using it without chemicals and leaving the flap a bit open, but until I see (smell) that for myself I don't believe a word of it, I'm afraid. 

Generally, cassettes smell a bit, either of toilet, or, more normally, of toilet chemical. The latter smell is preferable and not that bad in and of itself. I've lived with it happily enough in the past. But I don't like it; it may not smell of sewage, but you know you're smelling toilet. So I welcome the chance to banish it from the good ship flint. 

I admit to having a very sensitive nose. I really can take bad smells if necessary. I've spent time in some very smelly places and I don't get disgusted or shocked by smell as easily as some I know. But I do smell well, and I feel most confident of having a home whose smell I like with a composting toilet. And I do think some people have a very dull sense of smell, judging from when they can't smell things I can. 

But I'm not going to pretend it's definitely better than the other options. Depends what your likes and dislikes are. Different strokes for different folks. 

Having said that, if everyone was as balanced and reasonable about boat toilets as me, where would the fun be in that? Let the Horrified War of Mock Disgust start anew! 

Have at ye! 

Edited by captain flint
  • Greenie 1

17 hours ago, captain flint said:

Sorry for reviving this nracothread - but did you do that and how's it been? I've got my separett in a box ready to go into my boat. I thought. Until I realised I have to make a wooden plinth for it to go on top of that I can put some kind of lowe level urine storage tank in...!

Lookiung for any handy tips but then it's not exactly rocket surgery...

If you use facebook have a look at the “compost toilets for boats & off grid living”

lots of useful info.

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Yep I'm on that group, too, thanks for the tip though

Simply do a poll on here or anywhere you like with say three options to boat owners and see how many boats have each option

Cassette/porta bog

Pump out

Composting

As you say composting bogs have been around for a long time and before you do the poll I know which option will be way way lower than the other two options and then ask your self why that is?

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Simply do a poll on here or anywhere you like with say three options to boat owners and see how many boats have each option

Cassette/porta bog

Pump out

Composting

As you say composting bogs have been around for a long time and before you do the poll I know which option will be way way lower than the other two options and then ask your self why that is?

What is the most common may not be the best tho.  Cassette/porta toilet's are popular because they are cheap to buy.   Composting for some reason are expensive to buy even though they are just really a cheap toilet with a divider for poo and wee!   I'm surprised no one has come up with a Cassette toilet that works like a separator toilet for wee, whilst having the same as current cassettes for the poo.

Edited by Robbo

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

What is the most common may not be the best tho.  Cassette/porta toilet's are popular because they are cheap to buy.   Composting for some reason are expensive to buy even though they are just really a cheap toilet with a divider for poo and wee!   I'm surprised no one has come up with a Cassette toilet that works like a separator toilet for wee, whilst having the system for the poo.

On this subject I don't think price comes into it? I would guess that cassette and pumpout are a pretty similar number? Squirrel stoves are much more expensive than most other makes but they are still a top seller amongst boats innitt.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

On this subject I don't think price comes into it? I would guess that cassette and pumpout are a pretty similar number? Squirrel stoves are much more expensive than most other makes but they are still a top seller amongst boats innitt.

Dump through toilets seem to be more popular on older boats but newer ones seem to be more cassette.   Is that because it's better or is it because it's cheaper to install?

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Cassette/porta bog

Pump out

Composting

You missed out no 4. Dessicating toilets (no, not defecating, and no coconuts involved) 

On 25/04/2014 at 12:13, Mike the Boilerman said:

And therein lies the problem with them. There is no 'composting' going on in the biological sense as I understand it. Just drying out of the solids. So their name is a misnomer.

Happy to be shown otherwise though.

MtB

The name may well be a misnomer but if they separate the liquids and dry out the solids to the extent that they can be disposed of easily without any nasty odours then I'm not sure what the issue is? Unless part of your rationed for buying one is that you actually want compost! ?

I bought an Airhead about 18 months ago on the basis that if I didn't like it I could return it, which is exactly what I did. The build quality is poor and that was my real problem with them, but if others are satisfied then good luck to them. 

Edited by blackrose