Trouser belt

Big John

Featured Posts

After seeing this thread on here, I ordered a windlass belt from Tony for my husband and it has just arrived (Christmas and New year intervened :-) I am absolutely delighted with it and I am sure the skipper will be too, when I present it to him. No more sticking a cold windlass over his shoulder inside his shirt!

• 2 weeks later...

John, you are most welcome.

I've a mind to send some 'business cards' to you to hand out to anyone interested in the accessory belt, would you be prepared to do do that? Haggis would you also consider doing the same?

Regards

Tony

Just a small point-

The amount of stuff you want dangling from your belt creates a safety hazard to you when manovering around the boat/ climbing on locks etc.

Less is more!!

A basic belt is a good idea but most STUFF is safer on the boat or in a buttoned up pocket of a boiler suit/ coat in cool weather or trousers/ light weight gillet in summer.

As for walkie talkies and narrowboats dont get me started!!!

Almost always coupled with gardening gloves, hats with braid and lots of boat pennants in my experience! <_<

It's OK Tiller Slave - remember everyone has their own ideas and a secure holster holding the windlass means 2 hands free when negotiating the lock ladder. When there are no locks you don't wear the belt - easy. As for the other bits - well, if the conservation key is in its holder and the windlass in it's holster when you put on the belt as you approach the locks then you don't end up having to return to the boat for the conservation key 'cos BW have modified the mechanism since your last visit - but, each to his/her own. For myself, I find them very useful and so does my partner Mo.

It's OK Tiller Slave - remember everyone has their own ideas and a secure holster holding the windlass means 2 hands free when negotiating the lock ladder. When there are no locks you don't wear the belt - easy. As for the other bits - well, if the conservation key is in its holder and the windlass in it's holster when you put on the belt as you approach the locks then you don't end up having to return to the boat for the conservation key 'cos BW have modified the mechanism since your last visit - but, each to his/her own. For myself, I find them very useful and so does my partner Mo.

Very well put Tony. You took the words out of my mouth. BTW we do have a Cornish (St.Piran's) Ensign, but no pennants - not sure what that means ;-)

And yes, we'd be pleased to have some cards.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure that your belts are very nice, and good luck to those who choose to use them, but personally I will continue to carry my windlass where working boatmen used to carry them - handle over my left shoulder and under my jacket. This has the added advantage in the winter that the handle is kept warm and does not freeze onto your hands in sub zero temperatures.

Edited by David Schweizer

My only concern would be if that you fell in (particularly in deep water) is it a quick release mechanism to get it off?

I like the idea of having one certainly for windlass/anti-vandal key. Not sure about radio, when I go boating I'm trying to get away from anything that reminds me of work!

Jon

John,

the belt and holsters are insignificant in weight as is the BW 'water conservation' key when in its holster. The windlass can be readily removed from its holster if required - probably more easily than were it to be tucked in a belt loop. As to the PMR holster - just a response to 'market needs' - they are a bu&&er to make!!

The other place to try for a windlass Holster and / or belts is my web site at www.nbanon.netfirms.com ,I've been making them for about ten years now. The style is different as it stops the windlass flopping about and scratching the paint of the side of your boat. Hope this might help a few of you out.[/size]

Hi All

I did a search for this item first, but it seems that nobody else has talked about these before, then I saw this thread, so I figured here would be a good place to tag onto.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a padded belt which protects the lower back when working the locks? I am sure I saw one for sale at Crick last year but no amount of creative internet searching has yielded anything.

Ta

Spencer

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a padded belt which protects the lower back when working the locks? I am sure I saw one for sale at Crick last year but no amount of creative internet searching has yielded anything.

Costume bint to the rescue! Back Supports

:cheers:

I have put together a prototype PMR radio pouch:

IMG_0210.jpg

I need to reduce some of the dimensions a little as the radio is a loose fit and I think an elastic strap with Pop closure would be a good idea. Any suggestions on alternative ways to produce this would be appreciated as it is very difficult to make.

Hi Tony

How about a sprung clip of some kind this will enable quick release whilst still keeping the PMR secure ( See Image)

pmruz3.th.jpg

Tom B

Yar Well ( It's just a thought) :cheers:

Spencer,

I too recall seeing lower back protectors - if I recall correctly made from black 'ballistic nylon' type material enclosing a foam pad and designed to be worn from a belt (such as one of my 'Boater's Accessory Belts'). I may have picked up a brochure at the Saul Junction 'do' last year, I'll see if I can find it, although I'm in the process of moving and I'm not at all sure which box to search through.

Thanks Tony and Costume Bint, I did think about weightlifter belts or medical supports, but I vividly recall staring at these smart little devices that Tony describes before walking back out into the rain in Crick.

If you find the leaflet Tony that would be smart or if anyone else knows what we are talking about and has the details.....

Ta

Spencer

• 3 weeks later...
Guest st170dw

These types of lower back support were used for bikers. With the increase in age of those who can afford a bike I suspect they are more prevalent!

• 14 years later...
On 19/12/2006 at 19:11, TeeELL said:

Tomsk,

you might baulk at the prices but you need to bare in mind that each item is hand made - there are no automatic devices involved - and they are quite time consuming.

For Forum members I will pair the prices back to:

£15. 00 for the belt

£4. 00 for each 'Holster'

So a 'full rig' comes to £27

I've not come up with a design for the PMR walki-talki's or mobile phone yet though.

Most Radios  come with a belt clip anyway

Tomsk,

you might baulk at the prices but you need to bare in mind that each item is hand made - there are no automatic devices involved - and they are quite time consuming.

For Forum members I will pair the prices back to:

£15. 00 for the belt

£4. 00 for each 'Holster'

So a 'full rig' comes to £27

I've not come up with a design for the PMR walki-talki's or mobile phone yet though.

This is based upon the cost of the leather stock I presently hold.

This is based upon the cost of the leather stock I presently hold.

You really don't want a lot of stuff hanging from your belt especially when crossing lock gates and climbing lock ladders.

If you are a rather frugal Yorkshireman (like me) use a length of thinish rope and make a loop for holding the windlass and simply tie it around your gut.