Replacement Alternator

Langers

Featured Posts

Could anyone recommend a replacement 70 Amp / 12W alternator? My existing alternator has a HMI part number of 900021-ALS and charges the starter battery.

When I google the alternator the following website has the existing alternator listed:

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/specs.php?item_detail_id=13070&item=66021126&product=ALTERNATOR

Is it still available? Can you replace just the regulator / brushes?

I intend to remove the faulty alternator this weekend so any advice gratefully received.

^this. Parts for the A127 type are easily available. Although I paid <£50 for an unbranded replacement that's still running perfectly, and then rebuilt the original as a spare. Do you know what's wrong with yours?

^this. Parts for the A127 type are easily available. Although I paid <£50 for an unbranded replacement that's still running perfectly, and then rebuilt the original as a spare. Do you know what's wrong with yours?

thanks for identifying it as an A127 ... I assume it's just the brushes as I'm not getting any charge from it ... I'm going to remove the unit on Saturday and check the regulator ... hopefully it's just a case of swapping them out with these:

http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk/products/ALTERNATOR_REBUILD_PARTS/ALTERNATOR_BRUSH_SETS/LUCAS_A127_ALTERNATOR_BRUSH_SET_3-9_X_6-9_X_20_REF_ABR5409.html

thanks for identifying it as an A127 ... I assume it's just the brushes as I'm not getting any charge from it ... I'm going to remove the unit on Saturday and check the regulator ... hopefully it's just a case of swapping them out with these:

http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk/products/ALTERNATOR_REBUILD_PARTS/ALTERNATOR_BRUSH_SETS/LUCAS_A127_ALTERNATOR_BRUSH_SET_3-9_X_6-9_X_20_REF_ABR5409.html

Assumption is the mother of all cock-ups.

Check or test and find out for sure whenever fault tracing is involved.

MtB

How do you know its not charging? If its the red light on it is unlikely to be the brushes but it could be a short to earth on the warning lamp to alternator lead. Anyway even if it is the brushes how warn are the slip rings?

If the red light refuses to come on at any time take the warning lamp connection off the alternator (D+) and touch it to any clean metal on the alternator/engine with the ignition on. If it comes on then I agree probably brushes but you know nothing about the slip rings.

I was first alerted by continuos bleep from the alarm when starting up (plus red light staying on) ... normally goes off with a rev but now stays on. I suspected the alternator and put my voltmeter across it ... no charge as such (just residue from the starter battery) .

I have two identical alternators and the one for the domestic batteries is fine ... I'll take it apart tomorrow so will know more then. New brushes may not fix it but as it's such an easy replacement then it's worth a try.

Presuming that as an engine alternator there is no external gear fitted such as a split charge relay then it is likely to be ......

1/ Short to earth on the wl wire

2/ Rectifier demolished by reverse connection

3/ Stator failure

4/ Short to earth on w wire

I'll go for the diode.