nb-Dusk Till Dawn

stuart

Featured Posts

All the electrics done, £20 for a new bit of cable from battery to inverter and the jobs a good un.

Also found out why my "reverse polarity" light on 240v kept coming on - the mains plug was wired backwards :wacko: Triple checked all the wiring just to make sure again!!

Took the oppourtunity to sort the cabling in the engine bay out - all the 40mm cables are now securely cliped to the bulkhead to prevent vibration and damage to them.

And finally a quick oil/oil filter & fuel filter change as well as a 4 hour cruise filled in my whole weekend!!

• 2 months later...

Once again, its been a couple of months since my last post on this blog.

As previously mentioned, drastic re-modelling of the living/salon area has comenced and completed!

This weekend saw the beginning of a massive painting and varnishing spree, so these photos look a bit bland at the moment. The new steps are coming along nicely as well so those horrible dirty looking ones can now be fire wood!!

Off to Crick on Monday so who know what bargains I might end up with, more photos to come!

B.JPG

A.JPG

Really wished I'd tided up more before taking the photos!

D.JPG

C.JPG

I asked about the stern tube and the bilge pump when I was in Liverpool today.

I was assured that, with engine mounts in good condition, the absence of a flexible coupling is not a problem. It is as I described earlier in this thread, with a flexibly mounted stuffing gland.

'We've never had a call-out and have never heard of a premature engine/gearbox bearing failure'.

Well they must have had at least one by now from me!

Decided to fit a python drive unit in the drive chain, I'm not confident on the current setup with only a vetus flexible stern tube/boot taking any displacement. Will post piccys when I begin!

Well they must have had at least one by now from me!

Decided to fit a python drive unit in the drive chain, I'm not confident on the current setup with only a vetus flexible stern tube/boot taking any displacement. Will post piccys when I begin!

What happened Stuart ?

I'll be fitting an R&D coupling which seems the least invasive way of isolating the gearbox from unfair loadings.

What happened Stuart ?

I'll be fitting an R&D coupling which seems the least invasive way of isolating the gearbox from unfair loadings.

I've decided on the Python, because of comments from various people (including Vetus) that you do need one "end" of the drive line to be fairly solidly fixed when using the cutlass bearings. The python allows this to be done by welding a fixed plate which then takes all the thrust from the prop into the hull rather than the engine/engine mounts - it should also reduce the amount of virbration and transmissive noise through the hull.

I'll get plenty of photos on the fitting of this as I don't think someone's fitted one on this forum yet!

• 1 month later...

Its time for the first BSS inspection to be done, so this is booked in for next week. Hopefully should pass but I'll expect there will be some little detail I've missed.

The boat is nearing full completion now, all major components are installed and working 100% - just the cosmetic finishes and painting etc. to be completed.

Not done much work in the past month as two weeks holiday got in the way :cheers:

The Python Drive unit has arrived and is currently mounted in the drive train, just waiting for the thrust plate to be made and welded in place.

Will post some "completed" pictures soon....

Edited by stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting A Python Drive Unit

Luckly the engine bay on my Liverpool boats cruiser is quite large. There was enough clearance between gearbox and stern bearing to fit the smallest Python unit - P30-R. I brought it from Albatross Marine (Website) for £325. These units are not the cheapest things you can buy, however I was impressed with the build quality and equally impressed with the service from Albatross. The unit arrived within 1 week, the postman looked like he'd faint carring the thing to my house - they are quite heavy!

1.jpg

Fitting the unit is fairly straight forward except the hassle of making and securing the thrust bearing plate. Basically, once the unit is fitted all the power/thrust from the engine is directed into the bearing on the Python unit which is secured to a new thrust plate. This allows the engine to move fore/aft + left/right without putting any vibration or movement through the propshaft and onto the hull. It should make for quieter cruising! :cheers:

Step 1 was to temporarly fit the unit on the prop shaft so a template could be made. Removing the existing prop shaft from the gearbox adapter/flange took about 2 hours to shift! Eventually they parted company and the python unit was slid onto the prop shaft. As I have a cutlass bearing, the prop can easily be push back into the bearing 6-12 inches so its easy to work on.

2.jpg

4.jpg

I then made a wooden template out of some scrap ply, as the angles of the swimplates were different -access is difficult in such a confined area.

3.jpg

The wooden template was then copied on to 10mm steel plate ready for welding into the hull. Small pieces of angle would also be welded onto the plate to stop it flexing when under strain. The small cut out is for access to the bilge pump that now sits under the thrust plate.

5.jpg

The propshaft was cut down about 145mm to allow the new Python unit to fit, an angle grinder made light work of the Vetus prop shaft.

The steel plate was bolted onto the Python drive before it was welded into place. The alignment of the prop was checked to be 90 degree in vertical/horizontal planes and the plate was tack welded on to see if everything was okay. Once checked again, a full weld was put into place and 45degree bars were fitted to reduce flex on the plate when under way.

6.jpg

7.jpg

After double checking clearances, and all nuts/bolts were tight, a quick test proves all well !

What do I think about the Python?

The first thing you instantly notice after fitting one of these units is a completely different engine noise when in gear. I'm used to a certain tone/reverb and this is now much quieter. When gear is engaged it seems much gentler and smooth and there is definately much less noise and vibration.

I'd recommend these sort of units, but a retro fit is not the easiest thing to do unless you have engine/prop space and access to someone who can make a plate and weld it for you. On a new build I think I would have one fitted again its a small cost in the whole size of a project and its something that you will notice everytime you use your boat.

Edited by stuart

First BSS Inspection...

I contacted Andrew Phasey to do my BSS first inspection as he was recommended by a couple of people and he's only based 2 miles from the mooring. (Link to his website)

His fee is £100 but includes any re-test fees. After a quick chat about what he was looking for and how the BSS scheme works he began.

First thing to check, fire extinguishers - Fail :) Ah, I thought this might not be going as well as I'd hoped!

After a couple of hours examining the boat in detail only 2 other items were found to be not as they should.

1. Fire extinguishers.

Although I'd brought the correct number (3) and they were all correctly certified by Kidde, they didn't have the correct "B" rating. You are required to have a total combined rating of 21A/144B. My extinguishers were 8A/34B each giving a total of 24A/102B. Andrew holds a Chubb fire servicing certificate and also supplies fire extinguishers at almost cost price so I brought an additional unit from him with 8A/55B rating for £18. No hard sell though! I've now got 4 units, total combined rating of 32A/157B.

2. LPG.

More fixings were required on the LPG pipe inside the gas locker, the current ones were spaced apart too far.

3. Diesel Fuel filter.

I could have kicked myself on this one! :cheers:

The fuel filter was recently replaced during a yearly service. The original one is a Vetus unit and replacement filters cost a stagering £28 ! (Link). Instead I'd used a local diesel motor factor and brought a replacement unit for £12.50. However this unit has a water drain plug on the bottom of it made of plastic. Andrew explained that this wouldn't be suitable under fire conditions as it would quickly melt and then allow diesel to fall onto the fire. The original vetus one had a steel bolt on the bottom of it instead, which would have withstood a fire for a longer period.

Apart from the 3 issues above, nothing else was found, electrical okay, LPG tested without leaks, engine fitment/fuel lines okay.

Overall, I was happy with the results of my first BSS inspection, especially as this is a completely new build and something I have never done before. I'd recommend Andrew as an examiner he's professional and very knowledgeable and happy to give advice on what to do to pass the test.

So this weekend I'll be busy fixing the problems identified ready for my retest next week !

A lot of posts from me today!

While at the last Crick boat show I splashed out a bit and brought 2 gauges, one for the fresh water tank from MSC which gives a digital % read out of how full the tank is. This is really useful on a cruise as you begin to learn how much water you use in a day so you dont get caught out or waste time filling the tank when you dont need to.

I also brought a SMARTGAUGE unit which also gives a percentage full indication on your domestic battery bank, along with voltage of domestic and starter batteries. Takes a couple of charge/discharge cycles of your battery bank to get used to whats going on but seems to work reliably now.

smartgauge.jpg

I'm happy to say that the narrow boat build is nearing completion. A bit of external painting and internal trim to be fitted but thats about it!

The vinyl signwriting will most likely look like this...

dusk-till-dawn-sample-logo.jpg

I'm hoping to get everything finished and carpet down by the end of August :-)

Edited by stuart

What do I think about the Python?

The first thing you instantly notice after fitting one of these units is a completely different engine noise when in gear. I'm used to a certain tone/reverb and this is now much quieter. When gear is engaged it seems much gentler and smooth and there is definately much less noise and vibration.

I fitted a python drive a few years ago to my Liverpool boat's hull. I agree with everything you have said, and I would certainly go that route again.

• 1 month later...

Decided to keep the deep tray just to be on the safe side. Once the tray is in place that leaves me with 1900mm of head room from top of tray. Standard shower doors are 1850mm so should be okay to install these soon.

I'm thinking if tiling the complete enclosure and also the roof panels above the shower to stop steam/condensation affecting the wood over a period of time.

Stuart, how big is your shower tray and where did you get it from? If it is smaller than the standard how do you get on with the size? I have a tiny bathroom and am trying to work out what to do with mine.

Cheers!

Stuart, how big is your shower tray and where did you get it from? If it is smaller than the standard how do you get on with the size? I have a tiny bathroom and am trying to work out what to do with mine.

Cheers!

Its a standard 800mm square tray that I've ended up with, but its lower in height than most (inside tray is only 20mm). Think it was a B&Q £40 thing.

• 10 months later...

Well I cannot believe its been nearly 12 months since my last blog post. The boat is still not 100% complete ! :) However its finished enough to enjoy cruising more than fitting out, so the priorities change very quickly...Finally got around to doing some work this weekend though. I've not been too happy with the noise produced by the Isuzu engine + cruiser stern combination. I've took the plunge with some noise insulation from TW Marine, 32mm sheets with a lead-like substance and high density foam. Each sheet is 1000x600mm and quite heavy at approx. 5kg per sheet. I've enough to do the engine/cabine bulkhead and the undersite of the whole deck. I'm hoping it makes a difference as this stuff is expensive! gallery_39_35_17845.jpggallery_39_35_17680.jpgAnother over due task was some more painting!I'm quite happy with the results - never going to be professional standard but I'm happy with the finish so far. Lets hope the otherside can match!

gallery_39_35_100583.jpg

gallery_39_35_50401.jpg

Look at those legs!!

gallery_39_35_4667.jpg

Anyway - I need to paint some coach stripes - whats the best way of doing this? Lots of vinyl masking tape??

Edited by stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Cannot believe how time flies! 2.5 years ago this empty hull arrived and now its time for its bottom to be blacked for the first (and proper) time!

Seem to be spending a lot of time + money on this boat lately!

med_gallery_39_35_20186.jpg

med_gallery_39_35_1360.jpg

Edited by stuart

• 3 months later...

Fitting A Python Drive Unit

Hi Stuart, can ask what's the verdict on the python drive? I'm considering fitting one of these & coincidentally my set-up appears exactly the same as yours. How did you size the unit incidentally? I saw a calc recently for this motor & drive set-up & they were talking a '60'. Grateful for your views.