Isuzu engine help

Neil Quinn

Featured Posts

Going to look at purchasing our first boat on Friday, a Nauticus 27. It has an Isuzu 3l-33 (new in 2006).

Originally I thought the 3L meant it was 3 litres which I imagined would be too powerful for a GRP canal boat.

Apparently it's 1500 which is 3 cyl, giving 33.5bhp & returning at normal cruising of 1400rpm & 1.2litres per hour. 3 Propellers, at present fitted with 14 x 9 Prop, with a 13 x 10 and a 14 x 10 spare with ancillaries.

Can anyone offer any advice as to whether this sounds decent?

The Isuzu is a commonly marinised modern engine found around the canal system in various guises. Has a decent reputation ( as does the equivalent Kubota). Should do you no harm. It will push a GRP Nauticus 27 along nicely where there is water enough to do so.

It's certainly got enough spare blades- looks like someone had to experiment expensively to find a fit. Suck it and see what suits you. Ideally, in open water, the engine will rev to just below its max rpm in ahead gear. Most canal craft have too big a propeller but stop better as a result.

N

We have a 33hp isuzu in our 40' narrowboat. We're over propped and cruise at around 1000 rpm. At this it returns about 0.8 Litres per hour. We should have a 3 cylinder 22Hp engine however Liverpool fitted the wrong one!

Are you sure its 3 cylinder? Ours is 4 cylinder 33Hp 1.5 litres.

Thanks for the replies. I'm only going by the advert & info that the owner has texted me so far, we haven't actually been to see it yet. Funnily enough, my mate who's recently bought a boat has been chatting to the local engineer this morning & he advised us to steer clear as the Isuzu has a bad reputation & develops problems. (I wouldn't have a clue, hence this post).

Don't know what to do now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm only going by the advert & info that the owner has texted me so far, we haven't actually been to see it yet. Funnily enough, my mate who's recently bought a boat has been chatting to the local engineer this morning & he advised us to steer clear as the Isuzu has a bad reputation & develops problems. (I wouldn't have a clue, hence this post).

Don't know what to do now.

Not the same model, but I've an Isuzu 42, 1.7l in a boat more than twice the length of the your 1.5l powered craft. It has never, touch wood, given me any trouble. In fact, I'm going to give it a little kiss on Thursday night because it's an absolute sweetie.

We have an Isuzu 42, very happy with it. I am not sure if the engine you have is from the same range? I have put up what Isuzu information I have here, have a look at the Isuzu Canal Boat leaflet.

If you are buying a boat then do get a survey, plenty of more expert people here to tell you more about that. I am not sure where the boat is but if near the bottom of the Llangollen and you have any doubts then get Neil Coventry to have a look. He is on the old Isuzu Engineers list and also on Engines Plus list. If we get up that way this year we will get him to service our engine for the sheer pleasure of feeling her running so much smoother, no idea what he does but you know he has done something.