Advice needed on buying first boat

MaggieA

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Firstly I wanted to say a hello to forum members. As a complete boating newbie, I need all the help I can get - & there is so much offered from experienced boaters on this forum!

I'm in the process of finding/buying my first boat. It's exciting but overwhelming! I'm looking to buy a 60ft boat, so that I can have two bedrooms. I'm not looking for a mooring, and it will be a lives board.

I have a total budget of up to £30k, but would prefer it if my boat was up & running at £25k - am I being unrealistic?? I have a reliable carpenter who can do fit out/trim inside, but tbh I'm more interested in the hull being in good nick.

I realise that for the money I'm looking at, it's probably going to be an older boat.... So I'm completely sure that the survey will be the key item for me to be obtaining.

There's a couple of boats that I'm interested in- I think that I can get extra work done on top in terms if lay-out, trim etc, but I'd really appreciate people's views on them...

http://apolloduck.net/225999

http://apolloduck.net/321562

What think you all??? The worst thing about buying a boat is the feeling that I don't really know what I should be looking for, and would value opinions / pairs of eyes!!!

Thanks

Maggie

Hello. Colecraft build good boats. You say you don't want a mooring but are going to liveaboard. Will you be in the position to travel extensively and what part of the country? Will you be handling the boat by yourself and have you ever moved a boat?

Sorry for questions but the more info the better it is to help you.

Maggie, you evidently have an eye for a decent boat. Both these appear to be in good condition and to have a decent specification. The first one is not a thing of beauty, but you're going to live in it, not outside it, so aesthetic appeal is a minor consideration. A more major consideration, to me, would be its enormous picture doors at the front - if you intend to moor in urban areas, I can see these being an invitation to Johnny Burglar!

Go and see both boats (and as many more as you can), go on board, pictures tell only half the story if that. if you don't know it already, visit Whilton Marina where you can see boats of all types and sizes for sale and can go aboard to inspect them.

Good hunting!

thanks Athy & SueB! I will be a constant cruiser in London and on the Thames, and that's good advice about the picture doors. I will be handling the boat solo - but I plan to convert the lounge into a second bedroom - so that I can get a boatmate. I figure that a 60ft boat will be a whole lot easier to heat/sail with two sets of hands.

There's been a sudden twist to the story though - the first boat apparently is NOT for sale, but is constantly being listed by a disgruntled boyfriend of the owner!!! So we need to take that one out of the equation.

One other question I'll throw into the mix: I'm viewing a boat tonight that has been re-plated and requires extensive work. I have a good fund set aside for repairs - what does everyone think?

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=322506

Thanks,

Maggie

I will be a constant cruiser in London and on the Thames,

You do appear to be someone who 'weighs things up' before committing so maybe these questions are unnecessary :

Have you investigated the situation and possibilities of CCing in London ?, have you read any of the threads on this forum about some of the problems ?, have you read the C&RT requirements for CCing ? Can you comply ?

Research will pay off hansomly and can avoid some humungous problems..

If so - well done and good luck in your hunt.

Maggie, you evidently have an eye for a decent boat. Both these appear to be in good condition and to have a decent specification. The first one is not a thing of beauty, but you're going to live in it, not outside it, so aesthetic appeal is a minor consideration. A more major consideration, to me, would be its enormous picture doors at the front - if you intend to moor in urban areas, I can see these being an invitation to Johnny Burglar!

Go and see both boats (and as many more as you can), go on board, pictures tell only half the story if that. if you don't know it already, visit Whilton Marina where you can see boats of all types and sizes for sale and can go aboard to inspect them.

Good hunting!

Totally agree with last paragraph, I looked at a good 50 before buying. Strange feeling, bit like a house I think, as soon as I walked onto it, knew it was the one for me. The survey report was good but daunting at first because it was 10 pages long :-). However upon reading it most of it was waffle and in the end only very few minor things needed doing. Good luck and enjoy your new life. I've certainly never looked back and really wish had discovered this way of life a lot earlier :-)

There's been a sudden twist to the story though - the first boat apparently is NOT for sale, but is constantly being listed by a disgruntled boyfriend of the owner!!! So we need to take that one out of the equation.

Whoa! That's such a specifically bitter thing to do!

what does everyone think?

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=322506

I think it must have been sold or withdrawn, as I have tried the link twice and both times I was informed that the page was no longer available - so I suppose the boat isn't either (or maybe it was the owner's boyfriend faffing about again).