Nottingham and Leicester Ring - pub advice!

Guest Sulou

Featured Posts

Guest Sulou

We're all set for our trip to Nottingham and round the Leicester ring starting a week tomorrow. Just a couple of questions that we would appreciate some feedback on.

Our friends are staying at the Jury's Inn in Nottingham, which is conveniently right next to the canal. Are there mooring rings along that stretch and is it safe? It's difficult to tell from the "street view" on the Google maps. I'm assuming there's no problem with staying there two nights. Also, has anyone moored on the Trent near the City Ground when there's a football match on? I'm thinking it might be a cool way to arrive at a game (although emerging in away colours might be an issue!).

The other thing is that we'd like some pub recommendations for the Western half of the Leicester ring (I think we know where we're aiming for on the Eastern half). As a guide, we like pubs like the Blue Bell at Kidsgrove and the Boat at Gnosall, i.e. not "gastropubs", but good locals that have decent real ales. Any recommendations greatly received.

Finally, what time do we need to arrive at Foxton top lock to be allowed to start descending (approximately - assuming no queue). I'm assuming that we can ascend at Watford at first light!

Edited by Sulou

yes you can moor round about sainsburys on beeston canal which is not far from the Jury's inn, mooring near forest ground im not sure is possible, the embankment are the nearest moorings, Last boat down foxton is at 5pm and first up at watford 9am i think. enjoy the trip.

Edited by GoodGurl

It's a bit of a walk from sainsburys but don't moor past the navigation pub in notts as its not the best area.

As for the Trent you can moor below Trent bridge by the council office but not by the ground. I think the rowing club own the rights on that side.

Good towpath walk from the canal nearest the Jury Inn to the safest moorings just ouside Sainsbury's ( just east of Castle marina). It will take you about 35 minutes.

As suggested don't moor much east of Castle lock. Opposite the huge ex BW warehouse doesn't seem too bad and will save about 15 minutes on the walk. Excellent range of pubs very close by including the Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. plus winding.

Edited by by'eck

I went to a Forset match as an away fan last season. I had a little peek at the river bank behind the ground as me and my mates thought it would be fun to arrive by boat for a match. There were no boats in sight on the same side as the stadium but on the other side of the river directly opposite there were a couple of narrowboats moored.

I'm a Forest fan and have also thought about arriving by boat. I can confirm that there are sometimes boats moored opposite, against a high wall. No idea if it's safe but definitely a classy way to visit the City Ground. Good luck (but not during the match, obviously).

Have you all come round to the fact that whinging little cretin should be sacked yet?

I'm a Forest fan and have also thought about arriving by boat. I can confirm that there are sometimes boats moored opposite, against a high wall. No idea if it's safe but definitely a classy way to visit the City Ground. Good luck (but not during the match, obviously).

There are lock approach moorings at the entrance to meadow lane lock, but the main lot of boats moored opposite will be from Nottingham Boat Sales yard.

The best mooring for visiting the city ground would be outside the county hall ,then you can just walk over the road to the ground ,after visiting the world famous Trent bridge inn ,it might be a idea to chain your boat to a mooring ring as late night revellers have been known to to untie boats at night.

We can recommend the Red Lion at Hopwas - we were there on Monday. Excellent Doombar and Bombardier and well prepared standard pub fayre plus. A better prospect than the Tame Otter opposite.

2nded.

Gave up at the tame otter waiting to be served.

Guest Sulou

I went to a Forset match as an away fan last season. I had a little peek at the river bank behind the ground as me and my mates thought it would be fun to arrive by boat for a match. There were no boats in sight on the same side as the stadium but on the other side of the river directly opposite there were a couple of narrowboats moored.

Interesting that your boat is called Albion. It's nothing to do with the away team you were supporting, perchance?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Really looking forward to our trip - starting tomorrow - and a nervy afternoon at the City Ground on Saturday!

You may like to have a look at this for py=ubs

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/waterway-rings.html

That's brilliant, thanks - and now bookmarked!

Guest Sulou

Certainly is, bring on Saturday!

Indeed. Can't wait!

We are now well on our way and managed to be 2nd up at Watford this morning and now moored at the bottom of Foxton. Dinner has been consumed, so now off to Bridge 61 for a couple of beers!

2nded.

Gave up at the tame otter waiting to be served.

We should have listened- tried the Tame otter on Saturday for lunch- really slow food service and small portions for the price. They fuss about after bringing your food, and another waiter appears with a tray of different sauces in dishes, but didn't have any ketchup to go with my fish and chips, said they would find some but it never appearred. I wish they would stop faffing, it would speed up the service if you just helped yourself to sauces

We did have a lovely surprise though at the Gate Inn at Ammington (1 mooring adjacent to the pub and plenty on the towpath opposite). It's a Marstons pub. The food was really reasonable, good choice with a good choice of specials and roasts as well, good portion sizes and excellent service, despite being very busy. Good choice of ales and also reasonably priced wines- we'll be going back

Edited by Woodstock