Problems with stop lever bmc 1.5

Cattleya

Featured Posts

I had this issue a while back and it went away, from time to time and usually after a good run my BMC 1.5 won't stop. Pulling the stop lever results in the revs going from around 800rpm to about 1500rpm, dropping into gear stalls the engine and that's how I stop it when this happens.

I have the CAV fuel injection pump which I believe revs up when starved of fuel as it thinks the revs have dropped so runs faster.

This isn't the engine running away as it doesn't ever rev higher than 1500rpm, so I'm guessing something is broken in the injection pump. Pushing the stop lever back in causes the revs to drop back to idle.

Has anyone had the same issue and any ideas of where to start looking?

I think the stop lever spindle and throttle lever spindle should have flats on opposite sides of their spindle so the throttle pushes a "washer" on the governor valve down to pre-load the governor spring while the stop dopes the opposite. If someone had fitted the worn lever it may do that but why you should be bale to stall it at that point I can not think.

The stop operates directly on the governor valve to force it closed so there is no way it should be able to reduce the fuel pressure in the pump and thus open the governor valve.

I am wondering it the spindle is leaking thereby allowing pressure to drop in the governor turret.

I await what BIz etc. has to say about thsi with interest.

Thank you Tony.

I had the engine rebuilt a few years back (at great expense) by calcutt boats. According to the invoice this included a recon injector pump. The engine has had an easy life since then so hopefully nothing major is wrong.