Bilge washing

Mike J.E.W

Featured Posts

strolling to the pub near Braunston last weekend saw a individual mopping out him bilge with a mop and washing it out in the canal, when I pointed out the oil slick and lack of care for the environment , despite my good lady being present , he thought it smart to offer foul verbal abuse ,

However on getting hold of him and explaining the errors of aproaching me in that way he rapidly locked himself inside his boat

Question

Whats the best way of reporting these people I have the boat name etc ,hate this type of attitude

Plus with a bit of luck I will be alone next time we meet !!!

Mike J.E.W, on 14 Apr 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

strolling to the pub near Braunston last weekend saw a individual mopping out him bilge with a mop and washing it out in the canal, when I pointed out the oil slick and lack of care for the environment , despite my good lady being present , he thought it smart to offer foul verbal abuse ,

However on getting hold of him and explaining the errors of aproaching me in that way he rapidly locked himself inside his boat

Question

Whats the best way of reporting these people I have the boat name etc ,hate this type of attitude

Plus with a bit of luck I will be alone next time we meet !!!

Actually you are lucky he wasn't the one doing the reporting .......... to the police for assault....

mark99, on 14 Apr 2014 - 1:33 PM, said:

However, washing bilges out like that is not good.

No - but it doesn't warrant getting yourself into trouble with the police over.

If the OP got the wrong response and now feels strongly enough just ring CRT with boat name and index number and leave them to deal with it, it's not worth getting into an altercation over, and potential fisty cuffs.

I agree with DH,

But have to admit, a total disregard for actions, and causing pollution by Oil or Fuel from a boat as a result is really annoying, unacceptable in my opinion.I would think even more of a problem on still water,like a Canal !. But as with so many other things,it comes down to attitude.

But I suppose it's a difficult thing to police !.

Most areas I've been to are 'supposed' to be under scrutiny of the MARPOL bods, but it comes down to a policeing issue again.

Have you not got Bilge Pump Filters Fitted Leeco !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

Paul's Nulife4-2, on 14 Apr 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:

Has no one got th on the Inland waterways !. Are they not a requirement of sorts ?.

Oilspillproducts

Clearview

Filters from a,s,a,p

AFAIK our boat doesn't and if it does I have never changed one in all the time we have had the boat.

I agree with DH,

But have to admit, a total disregard for actions, and causing pollution by Oil or Fuel from a boat as a result is really annoying, unacceptable in my opinion.I would think even more of a problem on still water,like a Canal !. But as with so many other things,it comes down to attitude.

But I suppose it's a difficult thing to police !.

Most areas I've been to are 'supposed' to be under scrutiny of the MARPOL bods, but it comes down to a policeing issue again.

Have you not got Bilge Pump Filters Fitted Leeco !.

No but I need one as my bilge pumps busted with all the junk in the bilge.

Oil and fuel from your engine should drip into an isolated part of the engine bay so the only real bilge water (eg from a dripping stern gland) is pumped overboard. I believe part of the BSS

I have one under my engine. My iPhone fell into it the other day.

I'm amazed that with all the other stuff that is required for the likes of the BSS, that adequate steps to stop or reduce Pollution from boat bilge isn't on there as well !.

Although, I suppose thinking about it, it actually promotes and recommends the opposite, Especially in relation to allowing Fuel spills that might occur when refueling from either breather pipe or Fuel inlet for example MUST drain overboard.

I actually had to remove my catchment rings that encircled my filler inlet, to meat this requirement as they diddnt drain overboard !.

But on the upside I now have a flush deck filler on my Gunwhale.

• Greenie 1

I'm amazed that with all the other stuff that is required for the likes of the BSS, that adequate steps to stop or reduce Pollution from boat bilge isn't on there as well !.

It is, as a previous poster has pointed out. "Oil and fuel from your engine should drip into an isolated part of the engine bay so the only real bilge water (eg from a dripping stern gland) is pumped overboard"

It is, as a previous poster has pointed out. "Oil and fuel from your engine should drip into an isolated part of the engine bay so the only real bilge water (eg from a dripping stern gland) is pumped overboard"

Yep,got that cheers

In which case you're Clearview filters or equivalent would last a really long time.

The bloke that the OP was referring to must of had a Serious Leaky Stern Gland problem then !

• Greenie 1

Yep,got that cheers

In which case you're Clearview filters or equivalent would last a really long time.

The bloke that the OP was referring to must of had a Serious Leaky Stern Gland problem then !

Or the OP has no sense of how far a little oil will go

Richard

Absolutely agree, a little goes a hell of a long way, & looks awful. And Possibly brings unnecessary attention to a sensitive pollution issue by Gongooslers or onlookers to the event,

I wonder how we as Boaters, could be seen to be doing our bit to limit incidents like this and promote looking after OUR environment, Pleasure/Hobby or lifestyle choice !.

I know, Fit a Bilge Filter maybe one way !.

• Greenie 1