Gas suitcase generator

bigcol

Featured Posts

Needing a generator soon

Don't like the idea of petrol on the boat

Love a marine silent water cooled diesel genny,but too much money

So what about a kipper ig2000, Honda or any portable genny, but run by gas.

Buy one that don't need petrol start up,sail and trail sell these already converted and warentted

Remote start key etc

Gas already on boat

Genny in engine room, direct gas feed, from bow locker, plumb exhaust to skin fitting

Start on a remote key

Has this been done?

Be nice to have diesel, but can't get small diesel genny, gas is already on board, why not?

Better than bringing on board another hazardous fuel

Col

Edited by bigcol

Yes I've seen a generator inc gas fitting like the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301149505560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What I would like to know though please?

I have plenty of room below in engine room for the generator, to be fixed secure,gas feed would be from existing gas pipe in the boat,Using existing bottles being in the front locker with vents.

John williamsons post is relevant. would I have to worry about another gas vent? Surely the generator will be like any other cooker hob or oven another appliance in the boat. Are there any BSS rules that's going to hinder me?, or had anyone else made a more permanent installation of a gas genny.

What I'm trying to say, I for personnel reasons can't lift in and out a genny, so make the installation a more of a fixed semi permanent one

Have the exhaust run through skin fitting in the hull, control panel inside etc. same as a diesel water cooled genny.

Of course I will get the gas safe engineer to do the pipe work , which will only consist of 1.5 mtr and a t piece with valve,

Col

Edited by bigcol

Needing a generator soon

Don't like the idea of petrol on the boat

Love a marine silent water cooled diesel genny,but too much money

So what about a kipper ig2000, Honda or any portable genny, but run by gas.

Buy one that don't need petrol start up,sail and trail sell these already converted and warentted

Remote start key etc

Gas already on boat

Genny in engine room, direct gas feed, from bow locker, plumb exhaust to skin fitting

Start on a remote key

Has this been done?

Be nice to have diesel, but can't get small diesel genny, gas is already on board, why not?

Better than bringing on board another hazardous fuel

Col

That's were I got my IG2600 from. Half the price of the much lower output EU20i with LPG conversion fitted and tested. They will supply with regulator and left hand thread union direct to bottle or a Q/R bayonet BBQ type fitting if you have the female union mounted and plumbed on your boat.

Don't think you could fit it inside as unlike a cooker they do not have Flame failure devices.

I had one with gas conversion many years ago - the generator sat in one of the side lockers in a semi trad with an extension to the exhaust pipe going out of a vent at the bottom. It was a Honda EU10 or whatever the equivalent was then - it was about 20 years ago. It started very easily on gas and the locker was just big enough to be able to pull on the starter rope.

If it has to go inside the boat, then I think you would need the equivalent of a gas locker with a side door outside like you see on some boats.

Many thanks

I am taking bottles link and messaging them.

Being inside a lot of mates boats you see all sorts.

Petrol cans stored inside, gennys in the back cabin, empty or full

Housed in proper steel storage on back deck, petrol spills, etc

Having a dutchbarge where should I store the genny, ? or should I be keeping it on the stern,

I would have thought moving a genny, playing about with the connection is more likely to cause leaks.

I've had my bubble burst! I don't like it, but appreciate all you input and advice

I thought I will get my generator needs sorted a bit cheaper that a water cooled whisper gen.

So the only way safely I can use a gas generator, is not in engine bay, or wheel house but have it on the tow path or right on the stern then after wife's washed my smalls, I disconnect the gas put bottle put back in bow locker, chain genny to outside bollard.

if I ran existing gas supply so it gos through hull at the back, and connect genny to that being on the stern

Trouble is I'm not as strong as I should be, different reasons but

I'm trying to do things on the boat, that makes life a bit easier for wife and me.

Lifting a genny Is strenuous, but not giving up!!

So what's the smallest diesel generator sold in uk

Many many thanks

Looking back at my post I'm grumpy col today

Still smiling though

Edited by bigcol

Many thanks

I am taking bottles link and messaging them.

Being inside a lot of mates boats you see all sorts.

Petrol cans stored inside, gennys in the back cabin, empty or full

Housed in proper steel storage on back deck, but petrol lying in the bottom,

Having a dutchbarge where should I store the genny, or keep it on the stern,

I would have thought moving a genny, playing about with the connection is more likely to cause leaks.

I've had my bubble burst! I don't like it, but appreciate all you input and advice

So the only way safely I can use a gas generator, is not in engine bay, or wheel house but have it on the tow path or right on the stern then after wife's washed my smalls, I disconnect the gas put bottle put back in bow locker, chain genny to outside bollard.

if I ran existing gas supply so it gos through hull at the back, and connect genny to that being on the stern

Trouble is I'm not as strong as I should be, different reasons but

I'm trying to do things on the boat, that makes life a bit easier for wife and me.

Lifting a genny Is strenuous, but not giving up!!

So what's the smallest diesel generator sold in uk

Many many thanks

Grumpy today col

The Honda EU10i probably isn't the smallest, but it's small light quiet and easily manoeuvrable.

I have the same reservations as you with regard to petrol, however having used petrol all this winter it's not been a problem at all. We use 2 x 5L plastic quality petrol cans with attached fill hose. One is kept in the front lockers which is external. The other after filling the genny we keep in the engine room inside a HD plastic bin along with other genny accessories like oil & tool kit.

We run the genny on the stern deck. There's a door between the engine room and cabin space which is pretty much air tight so if the wind's blowing the wrong way we don't get fumes into the cabin area. This has worked well all winter, we only use the genny 4 months of the year, it's all put away now.

Do get some CO alarms though, amazingly once when the genny was running on the stern, the CO alarm in the saloon went off, we had the side doors open and the fumes had blown from the stern in through side doors, quite surprising.

Petrol's fine just take sensible precautions and use common sense. If a better solution arose though the petrol would go. When is someone going to invent a small deisel genny ??????

we had our honda from edge technology and gas conversion, very helpful. Col the gas will cost the same as petrol with the added bonus of not having to find garages for petrol.

Thats interesting,

I had it in my head that the overall running costs for gas would be cheaper,

I Truly don't know,I've never had one,just presumption, based on cots of gas/petrol !.

Wouldn't it be great Julynian, a small diesel generator.

but you can get small water cooled plumbed in gennys, but upwards of 4500 pound.

So why can't they make portable versions of them link below

http://www.advanceyacht.co.uk/products/generators/3000rpm.html

I've got the space, but not the money. Like us all!

Sent the email to BSS re the gas

So what,where in uk is the smallest diesel generator?

Col

Wouldn't it be great Julynian, a small diesel generator.

but you can get small water cooled plumbed in gennys, but upwards of 4500 pound.

So why can't they make portable versions of them link below

http://www.advanceyacht.co.uk/products/generators/3000rpm.html

I've got the space, but not the money. Like us all!

Sent the email to BSS re the gas

So what,where in uk is the smallest diesel generator?

Col

I've hunted high and low in the past, I think around 3kw is about the smallest I can recall. They're so damned heavy though.

I bought a small Kubota 0C60 diesel engine last year I'm planning to rig to 2 x 90amp alternators to it and planned to build into the engine bay fed from the main diesel tank and properly exhausted, we do have the room.

Thing is though, our first winter on the water and our solar panels worked surprisingly well. We ended up just running the boat engine for one hour most days and Honda generator for an hour or so evenings, this was a lot less than we expected, so now I really don't think fitting a small secondary diesel engine just for charging 12v batteries is worth the effort. So I'm thinking of selling off the engine and alternator, and just stick with the wee Honda for now.

I

Have a look at Mastervolt Whisper Diesel Generators

I've got the 3.5Kva it's quite small,and it sits happily in a corner of the engine bay.

Don't know the cost of one now though. It would be with finding out.

But it's also well worth getting the Gas seperater,Waterlock, And remote Start and Management Panel in addition to the Generator itself.

Buy it all as a kit,and fit it yourself.

We truly can hardly hear it running,

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Just a quickie?

If having a gas genny no be allowed in engine room because of a flame failure device not being present.

But there isn't a naked flame is their??

And if there is, it's certainly not open like cooker or hob.

Just asking?

Col

Paul's nulife4-2

Bloody show off!!!!! Lol

You don't need yours do you??

Really you go all over the place!, why do you need the generator for?

Money waiting!

So apart from those who have the proper jobies

What is the smallest portable genny around for normal folks lol

Col

Just a quickie?

If having a gas genny no be allowed in engine room because of a flame failure device not being present.

But theirs no naked flame

Just asking?

Col

Edited by bigcol

Sorry Col,

But Ive just put my Whole Boat up for sale on here, (For Sale And Wanted Section,Plug Plug) not just my Generator I'm afraid,

What ever one you go for, look at running/maintenance costs,and how easy it is to work on and obtain parts. It could make a huge difference. Good luck.

Just a quickie?

But there isn't a naked flame is their??

Just asking?

Col

I could be wrong but as the gas is directly injected into the genny the only flame is when the genny is on its firing stroke and that flame is inside the cylinder. No flame failure device is needed. I could be wrong but in this case I think not. The only problem I can see with the BSS is that if there was a leak there is nowhere for the gas to go so it would just sit in the engine 'ole. Take guidence from the BSS office on this.

Phil

I could be wrong but as the gas is directly injected into the genny the only flame is when the genny is on its firing stroke and that flame is inside the cylinder. No flame failure device is needed. I could be wrong but in this case I think not. The only problem I can see with the BSS is that if there was a leak there is nowhere for the gas to go so it would just sit in the engine 'ole. Take guidence from the BSS office on this.

Phil

The FFD is not so much there because of the flame, but to stop the flow of gas when it is not being burned. My gas-fuelled generator would certainly leak gas if the engine was stopped, and it was not faulty (I had it checked). But it was about 20 years ago so things might have changed.

Col

I think a gas Gen in your eng bay 'Probably' ain't a good idea.

My opinion,,,Just get a Diesel Generator,and run it off your main boat tank.

Or

Run your main under load, upgrade your Small Alternator so you've got two 100/120 amp ish ones Then Fit a bigger Battery bank & a Split charge relay so when you're Bow Thruster Battery is full it helps charge your main.

Then it's just one eng / fuel to worry about.

What will be the MAIN purpose of the Generator usage anyway matey ?.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I agree with Paul, get as bigger alternator, have a second one fitted if possible, get some solar as the cost of a BSS compliant gas locker, piping and all that would seem to make it a none starter. The other thing is to look at ways of saving electric, a kilowatt saved is a kilowatt less you have to generate.

K