jhodgski

Featured Posts

Just found out today that my BMC 1.5 could cost thousands to repair... The chap could only have a quick look at it, but there's a major knocking noise coming from somewhere and it will only operate at very low load. Very smokey, etc.

He can't get to having a proper look at it until next month, but he reckons it could cost thousands to repair...

With me not having thousands, I was wondering what my other options are?

It might be considering getting hold of a replacement engine - so would I have to replace it with another BMC 1.5 or can something else go in?

And where's a good place to get hold of a decent used engine at a reasonable price?

Thank you,

James

Hiya Richard,

I once picked up a car engine for just £50 (i.e., much cheaper than the alternative repair cost) - wish the same solution was available here though...

Many thanks for the link - very handy. :)

Cheers,

James

RLWP I right, a short engine (block and innards) is the way to go, try local engine rebuilders as well. The rebuilding is a hassle but at least it will all fit the boat, a different engine, Vetus, Beta etc will require re positioning, probably cutting and welding of bearers, the exhaust won`t fit ...... and so on ... and on. Good luck, by the way, don`t run it again or it just might render the thing scrap.

Edited by Bee

OK, thanks for that Bee. With such an old engine though, aren't I just asking for more trouble in the future? Wouldn't going through the hassle of getting a new (different) engine put in be a smarter decision for the long term or are we talking really serious money for a new engine and getting it installed?

You are talking serious money. Start with the cost of an engine, add a gearbox, new propeller to match the engine, sundries like cooling pipes, fuel lines, control cables, wires, engine mounts, exhaust and stuff, then add in the cost of the time to take out the old one, modify the engine hole and fit the new one including solving all the things that don't fit any more. It's a lot of equipment and time

Richard

Agree with Richard.

I'd expect the bill to be approaching five figures if you are getting a new, different engine supplied and fitted by a professional by the time all the little details (and the big ones!) are right.

I bought a boat about ten or twelve yearsago which had had a new Beta Greenline fitted to replace something nasty. That installation cost the previous previous owner £7k towards the back end of the last century.

MtB