Honda eu20i to shoreline power in

NB Lola

Featured Posts

Just checking, and apologies for a stupid question I guess.

I have an electrical setup, like many others I guess, where I hook up to marina power and this provides power on boat and battery charging capacity.

Whilst I can see no obvious reason why I cannot use the genny just like shoreline power and connect, via a standard plug from the genny to the shoreline connector on the boat, I defer to those that know way more re the dark art of eletrickery.

So, can I connect or not in the way described and utilise the power as I do from the shoreline?

Regards

Yes lots of people do it (we do) but there is something around earthing that needs to be sorted first. I cant remember the details, Im sure someone will be along to explain. I think you have to modify the cable for E-N bonding or suchlike. It's all to make sure your breakers works correctly if there's a fault.

Should work fine in place of shore power accepting that you only have around 7 amps at 230 volts (1600 watts continuous) instead of the usual 16 amps.

Note that it may not be up to running a charger or Combi with charger that gives over 50 amps. Ditto for full size washing machine.

Being a question I should and would be asking anyway,

I would have my 2500 combi inverter.

Wife wants to use washing machine

I just plug genny into boats 230 socket?

This is okay? Like wise,using the combi inverter, be charging battery's same time?

And again we cannot use the washing machine just using the inverter,?

what about with the engine on? 150 amp alternator

Or should the washing machine be only used through inverter only when a gennys plugged in.?

Properly daft questions, didn't want to let anyone down

Col

Being a question I should and would be asking anyway,

I would have my 2500 combi inverter.

Wife wants to use washing machine

I just plug genny into boats 230 socket?

This is okay? Like wise,using the combi inverter, be charging battery's same time?

And again we cannot use the washing machine just using the inverter,?

what about with the engine on? 150 amp alternator

Or should the washing machine be only used through inverter only when a gennys plugged in.?

Properly daft questions, didn't want to let anyone down

Col

If the genny is up to powering the washing machine it should be fine. The AC supply from genny will pass through the Combi to achieve this whilst simultaneously running its charger. If the output of genny is close to that required by washing machine wait until battery charge current draw has dropped off first, since when your Combi's 70 amp charger is running flat out it will take a big chunk of the gennys available power (I think it may be possible to turn off charger on latest Sterling Combi's which may be a better bet).

I think you have a Zanussi 1301 (1600 watts) so the inverter part of the Combi should run it fine when no external AC supply. It would be a good idea to have the engine running at the same time though so its alternator(s) will offset the otherwise large current drain from batteries. I usually try and run machine whilst doing a flight of locks - keeps the engine busy whilst working same.

Edited by by'eck

So I can run the washing machine just on the inverter' with the engine running?

Let's say the w/m 1301 1600 watt, does one wash, engine running, will the battery's be flatish.

Guy came up to me this morning, he said no way should I useable washing machine with the inverter on its own,

even with the engine running.

Didn't know who he is, just burst my bubble a bit.

I'm going to get a battery monitor, let me know how battery's doing

Thanks by ,eck

1600 watt machine requires 160 amps capability from a 12v system, allowing for losses.

1600/10 =160

So alternator would need to supply this (160 amps) if the batteries were not to be depleted.

Of course this is not a continuous load as the washing goes through its cycle.

So with engine running above tick over, the inverter will take the shortfall from the batteries.

Whether batteries are discharged at the end of the cycle will depend on the alternator size (amps)

With your 150 amp alternator you'll be actually charging the batteries during the wash cycle.

Via your inverter :

You will be 'taking out' 160 amps for a short period, (whilst the water heater is in use) - during the rest of the cycle you will be using much much less than 160 amps (100 amps or less maybe ?) so you will in effect not only be replacing the odd 10 amps (160 - 150) that you used during the heat cycle but will be putting some 'extra' back into the batteries.

I agree with Alan and Keith. Given that most of the time the during the washing machine cycle it won't be drawing its full 1600 watts, plus the fact you have a 150 amp alternator taking the strain, I wouldn't be surprised if the cycle finishes with your service battery bank remaining fully charged.