Boiling an egg

bizzard

Featured Posts

I always have mine super hard boiled because without fail I forget them and it's only when I hear really strange sounds from the galley that I remember they are on the stove. Never failed yet.

Try doing them in the micro wave, great fun my brother put two in the first explode all over the inside but at least he ended up with one. This also exploded when he tapped it with a spoon, funniest thing his face coated in egg, took him ages to get it out of his beard.

So beware of hard boiled eggs H&S issues.

On the farm we had tea in a billy can and we put a couple of (cleanish) eggs in the can with the hot tea. We had the tea usually cold a bit later when we had a break but we did have a couple of hard boiled eggs afterwards.

In Lancashire these mid morning or mid afternoonsnacks were called 'baggin'

Or Goose eggs.

Aren't goose eggs brilliant, I had my first taste of them a couple of weeks ago, what a lovely tasting egg with what seems much more yolk than white. £3.00 for 2 though they'll have to be a fortnightly treat if the farm shop is still selling them.

Now its not as easy as most people make out to boil an egg eggsactly to your liking, usually they turn out too hard or too runny. So these times start from when you lower your egg into boiling hot water.

3 mins=small egg. 3.1/2 mins=medium egg. 4 mins=large egg. 10 mins= swans egg. 25 mins 27.1/2 secs= Ostrich egg. 3/4 min= sparrow egg.

Get yer soldiers on parade and at the ready.

Is this for brown or white eggs?rolleyes.gif

ETA - forgot the smiley

Edited by Bettie Boo

• 2 weeks later...

Now its not as easy as most people make out to boil an egg eggsactly to your liking, usually they turn out too hard or too runny. So these times start from when you lower your egg into boiling hot water.

3 mins=small egg. 3.1/2 mins=medium egg. 4 mins=large egg. 10 mins= swans egg. 25 mins 27.1/2 secs= Ostrich egg. 3/4 min= sparrow egg.

Get yer soldiers on parade and at the ready.

We keep our eggs in the fridge so they last longer (we don't eat them often). How much longer do we need to add to the cooking time?

Medium Eggs from fridge to cold water. Time it from first boiling to 4 minutes. Hold under cold tap for 10 seconds. Always works for me to give an egg on the turn i.e. just short of hard. If you don't quench them in cold they will be almost hard by the time you eat them. As you also start in cold water they never crack in the pan.

Edited by bigste

Medium Eggs from fridge to cold water. Time it from first boiling to 4 minutes. Hold under cold tap for 10 seconds. Always works for me to give an egg on the turn i.e. just short of hard. If you don't quench them in cold they will be almost hard by the time you eat them. As you also start in cold water they never crack in the pan.

More eggsellent advice.

Managed to make perfect soft boiled duck eggs this morning.

Glad I did as it would have been a shame to ruin such lovely free range eggs straight from the farm!

You made them? Is there no end to your talent?

:)

MtB

Pressure.

Going to two atmospheres (I mean one above the normal one, so just 1 bar on a gauge) raises boiling point to 120c.

I've got a plastic pressure cooker that goes in a microwave. Works well, but I dont think itgoes that high! But the slightly elevated temperature AND slightly elevated pressure makes a significant difference. Makes nice moist new potatoes really quickly.