Boiling an egg

bizzard

Featured Posts

Now its not as easy as most people make out to boil an egg eggsactly to your liking, usually they turn out too hard or too runny. So these times start from when you lower your egg into boiling hot water.

3 mins=small egg. 3.1/2 mins=medium egg. 4 mins=large egg. 10 mins= swans egg. 25 mins 27.1/2 secs= Ostrich egg. 3/4 min= sparrow egg.

Get yer soldiers on parade and at the ready.

Now its not as easy as most people make out to boil an egg eggsactly to your liking, usually they turn out too hard or too runny. So these times start from when you lower your egg into boiling hot water.

3 mins=small egg. 3.1/2 mins=medium egg. 4 mins=large egg. 10 mins= swans egg. 25 mins 27.1/2 secs= Ostrich egg. 3/4 min= sparrow egg.

We use one of these, works perfectly, though we didn't pay that much for the same thing off eBay....

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/kitchen-accessories/foolproof-egg-timer/30002687.html

Do these times hold good regardless of whether I want my eggs hard or runny?

MtB

Do these times hold good regardless of whether I want my eggs hard or runny?

MtB

No they are for ''just right''.

Cuckoo's time their egg boiling with a good quality genuine Swiss cuckoo clock.

On a more scientific note, as the boiling temperature of water is dependent on atmospheric pressure what allowance does one make for it?

On a more scientific note, as the boiling temperature of water is dependent on atmospheric pressure what allowance does one make for it?

You would need to travel through an awful lot of locks before it became relevant on a canal boat. I remember at ski resorts it taking almost twice as long 'cos the water couldn't get hot enough. This may help.

For soft boiled duck eggs we put them in cold water and when the water makes its first boil bubble time them for two minutes exactly.Heaven.One of the finest meals ever.Three duck eggs,toasted soda bread,kerrygold butter,salt and pepper.

Need to get Ostrich Eggs in pairs

767855477305_0_ALB_xlarge.jpeg

• Greenie 1

For soft boiled duck eggs we put them in cold water and when the water makes its first boil bubble time them for two minutes exactly.Heaven.One of the finest meals ever.Three duck eggs,toasted soda bread,kerrygold butter,salt and pepper.

I agree but I have a nasty habit of either under or over doing them!

Very rarely do I get them just right. Which is a shame because I love duck egg with asparagus soldiers.

I agree but I have a nasty habit of either under or over doing them!

Very rarely do I get them just right. Which is a shame because I love duck egg with asparagus soldiers.

Two minutes on the first bubble and i forgot to add plunge them in to cold water straight away for a few seconds.This is how the wife does them and they are always perfect.I think the the cold water slows or stops the cooking process.